Starlux Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Starlux Hotel

Loved the Starlux

by TripAdvisor Member Kathy98

My husband and I recently spent 3 nights at the Starlux in Wildwood. We loved the doo wop style of the building and the furnishings. We had a king suite that included a nice kitchen, a sitting room, and a balcony with a view of the ocean --all at a very moderate price. The bathroom was well appointed. The unit was very clean. The management was extremely friendly and the location was good. It was very close to the boardwalk and close to a bike rental shop. We enjoyed riding bikes on the boardwalk. The beach was very quiet since we went mid- week in October. It was a fun and relaxing trip. When we got back to Virginia, there was a message on our machine from the Starlux saying that we had left our laptop in the room. The maid had turned it in. They offered to ship it to us, only charging us the price of the postage. They did an excellent job wrapping, shipping,and insuring. We will definitely go back to the Starlux!

Friendly, Clean, & Fun

by TripAdvisor Member Strapscan

We had to make a last minute trip to Wildwood, NJ for the Wildwood by the Sea Film Festival so we booked a room at the Starlux via their website. The Starlux was a fun, friendly, & clean hotel. It was a nice bonus that they had free wireless internet access in the lobby too. My only disappointment is that we had a hectic schedule and didn't get to stay more than one night.

The airstream trailer was an experience like no other!

by TripAdvisor Member whisny1

I chose the Starlux for my 50th birthday. I happened to find them on the internet and it stated the hotel was originally opened in 1957-the year I was born. Of course, I could have chosen other hotels/motels with the same claim, but I am glad I didn't. The Starlux offered the airstream trailer which added another dimension to the "50's" experience. It had the colors and some furnishings from that era--even a lava lamp! Since the one I was given was the smaller one, I would not suggest it for a family. Upon registration, I felt as if I had gone back in time. The decorations and ambience were incredible! The service provided by the courteous hotel attendants really made me comfortable. Especially, since that was my first visit to Wildwood. Unfortunately, I only stayed one night and I didn't get a chance to use the adequately sized pool, but if I'm ever in Wildwood again, Starlux, here I come!

Horrible experience, the worst customer service ever!

by TripAdvisor Member lilithgal

I made reservations over the phone for a two night stay at the Blue Palms Resort (owned by Morey's, same as Starlux). I checked in at the Blue Palms, and was asked to move to Starlux due to no other rooms being rented, I would be the only one there. I moved my luggage to the Starlux, checked in (the front desk clerk was very confused about my reservation and tried to charge me two times), and went to the boardwalk. I got back to my room and found that I was locked out, my key card wouldn't work so I had to report to the front desk. The man at the front desk reset my key card and left me into my room. I was unpacking and there was a knock at the door. It was the front desk guy along with two uniformed Wildwood police officers. They were there to ask me why I was in someone else's room. Keep in mind, I had paid in full before arrival, and checked in twice with these people...I showed my driver's license and credit card to prove who I was. The police were nice, the hotel associates were horrible. They accused me of identity theft, when I had proof of who I was and that I paid for the room. I called Visa, the hotel charged me twice for the two nights stay. The employees of the Starlux treated me like a criminal and made my brief stay there horrible. I drove 5 hours to get there, and ended up driving home the same night because they didn't just ask me for my ID to begin with rather than bringing in the police. I will never stay in another Morey's owned property again. I returned home and had to fight during numerous phone calls to the hotel to get my money back. This whole problem could have been avoided if the hotel employees kept their records straight and called my correct house number and not some stranger who thought they knew someone else with my name. The Starlux associates said there is "no way possible that anyone else has my name in Pennsylvania". I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I have made regular trips to Wildwood several times a year for my whole life, I have not been back since, and do not foresee returning after this experience.

Nice clean hotel, very good value, great service

by TripAdvisor Member olidar

My wife and I wanted to take a couple day retreat in Wildwood. In prior years we stayed at the Newport Hotel and the Aquarius Hotel, which are both about a block away from StarLux. We always like the look of the StarLux and were able to get a good rate for the Thursday and Friday nights right before labor day weekend. We were very glad we booked this hotel. This hotel was light years nicer than those other two were.

The room was very clean and well kept. It was a nice sized room and everything worked. It was nice to have a good sized fridge, a microwave and a coffee maker (although small). The theme of the room kept up with the overall eclectic theme of the hotel, right down to the lava lamp. The pool area was very nice and the pool was heated to an almost too warm temp the first day. They have very nice lounge chairs around the pool, a hot tub attached, and a grill that you can use (and several families did use it). There is a very nice kind of "family room" area with a lot of seating where they serve a good continental breakfast. The front desk folks were very nice and attentive. We particularly like Hassey, who went out of her way to ensure we were happy on our brief stay.

Interestingly, if you want to stay in an airstream trailer, they actually have 2 in their second parking lot across the street that you can rent, and from what we saw they were also in nice clean condition.

The hotel is right across the street from the boardwalk, so it is a great location.

Overall, we were very happy with staying at the StarLux and would stay there again.

FUN TIMES in Wildwood

by TripAdvisor Member minerva52

My Boyfriend and I had never heard of Wildwood NJ before until he was watching an episode of "While you were out" or "trading Spaces" or something. This episode caught our interest in the town and so we planned a weekend away.
We researched all the hotels "lolipop", Americana, Quebec, Jolly Roger etc.
For the Price, convenience, location, Doo wop-ness etc, I have to say the Starlux was a GREAT STAY.
The hotel is located within a very close distance of the boardwalk, right by the ocean, and many other amenities.
The hotel staff were VERY nice. the main people we saw at the front desk was a nice african american woman with long braided hair - who talked and acted like the manager, and a cute young white man who was very nice. We didnt need a lot - but what ever we did need - they were more than happy to help us.
There was a continental breakfast provided in the atrium and it was standard fare -bagels/cream cheese / jam/toast/coffee juice, muffinettes, etc. and the best part was - on the day we slept in - we went down to get something as someone was almost done clearing it all away - she brought back out anything we wanted. She was Super - she even offered to toast the bagel for me, asked me how I wanted my coffee etc. SUPER NICE.
The Decor of this hotel was Retro 60's and it was really nicely done. rooms were clean bathroom was a little small but no biggie. The lava lamp in our room didnt work - so what.
after seeing some of the other "similarly priced" doo-wop hotels - I have to say we made the right choice.
I had a great time in Wildwood and would definitely stay at the STARLUX again.
Affordable - convenient - themed - friendly - well appointed - quiet - cute.
these other reviews claiming filth, lack of safety, miserable staff etc is not to be believed. Its a very nice place.

Groovy and Very Retro

by TripAdvisor Member cf21967

Better than expected! Excellent location, friendly staff, but not keen on directions, always one block off! Pool not available/not in season, but very thankful for hot tub! Beach & boardwalk are across street and quite a long walk to the water. View outside balcony was not so nice, huge lot leftover from razed building, but private! Lounge area was comfortable and quiet. Nice touch: retro books to look at, 50's-60's designs and tiki/Hawaiian themed books, goes with the atmosphere at The Starlux. Many lava lamps throughout.
Dined at Dog Tooth-excellent! (see review).
Was sad to leave, felt like our own apartment, and sofa bed was acclaimed very comfortable by our teenage boys. Our king bed was also equally comfortable, as were the pillows. We stayed in the one bedroom/two room suite, excellent off-season rates!
I suggested gift shop items to the front desk clerk; shirts, keychains, etc. A Kitchy place should have souveniers!
Should have booked the 60's pkg while checking out, forgot!

Second Time Around

by TripAdvisor Member rafder

I agree with the July 15, 2007 poster. The photos are accurate. This place is nice and very convenient. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite in 2006 and again this year in 2007. The people were very helpful and certain employees stood out. As the July 15 poster described, the woman with braids and the island accent was very outstanding. I remember her from 2006 as well. Very pleasant and cordial. I will definitely stay again. I can't rate the standard rooms but can say I had one night in a one bedroom suite which is nice and the 2 bedroom suite is nice. Both were clean and spacious.

Great Hotel in the Crest!!

by TripAdvisor Member dotravel

I was nicely surprised to find this great hotel in Wildwood after a few years of "not so great or clean" hotels in North Wildwood during our last few trips to the New Jersey shore.We loved the Decor of this hotel and it it was VERY clean.The pool is fun and above average in size for a shore hotel.We also liked the music around the pool.Free bagels,danish,juices,coffee in the am was also a nice treat.I am now a "Wildwood Crest" vacationer forever!
Don't hesitate to stay here in the summer!!! Loved it!!

Doo Wop Architecture

by billus

"Historic Preservation"

Wildwood New Jersey's brand new StarLux Motel harkens back to the early 60's. Drive straight to your motel room door and get yourself a six pack of Vodka Martinis--bottled, not canned.

Cover: Historic Preservation, July/August 2001. Read the Thomas Mallon article online. More neon at the Doo Wop Preservation Leaguesite.

All photos by Timothy Bell; scans by billus

Starlux Motel

Caribbean Motel,

Satellite Motel

this is the real dealthis is the real deal

Wildwoods NJ, BoardwalkWildwoods NJ, Boardwalk

Jansport is a good quality day backpackJansport is a good quality day backpack

Art deco dinerArt deco diner

Comments