El Coronado Resort

8501 Atlantic Ave., at East Preston Avenue, Wildwood Crest, New Jersey, 08260, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about El Coronado Resort

Went with open mind to be fair

O.K. before going to the El Coronado, I did do some research here on trip advisor. I did read all the comments and called the El Coronado directly several times to question the negative comments to which they responded "We know who these people are and they always return."

So, bottom line, I made reservations for my family.

When I entered the room I looked at the bathroom, which was not cleaned properly. The sliding door to the outside deck was very dirty with hand prints and water marks along with 2 bottle caps left on the balcony. I happened to have cleaning wipes with me, cleaned the sink and showed the cleaning woman. She knew by seeing what I wiped off the sink that it was not cleaned properly and I told her that this was not acceptable. She shook her head in embarrasment, winked her eye in agreement, and sent the cleaning staff back in.

I understand that the bathroom fixtures, sink and tub are old and need to be updated. . .I can deal with that. But a dirty room is not acceptable.

The air filter over the bathroom was FILTHY and I made the young lady at the front desk aware of this. It's obvious to me that they do not clean/change their filters regularly.

I was scalded and froze in the shower. Yeah, I can deal with that. I shouldn't have to, but I did.

Chairs being "saved", well, if I wanted a chair, I was able to find them. People have a habit of "hoarding" things. There is a sign posted in the pool area. . .but obviously, people can't read and the life guard doesn't do anything about it.

So, where are my positive comments? It's an awesome view, great being on the beach, people were extremely pleasant and had no problems with the personnel. Has nice decor with a nautical atmosphere and the motel itself is relatively clean . Has a convenient cafe on the bottom floor and the food is reasonably priced and good. The game room was nice and they have an activity schedule every day for the kids.

Been going for 8 years

We have been staying at the El Coronado Resort for about 8 years, 1 year we did go to a different place and then went back. We stay only 1 weekend from Friday to Monday.

The staff there is great, just remember if you are nasty to someone they may get nasty back, we are all human.

I have never never had a problem with any of the employees there. In fact in 2002 we went to the El Coronado for the without my dad (he was home sick) I drove my mom in her car and there was no parking spots at the time we arrived, it was in the middle of checking out and checking in times and the owner moved his car from his spot and pulled my mom's car in for me himself. When you check out they allow you to stay around the pool for the day, so parking will be tough at that time. There is one parking spot per room, so as long as everyone sticks to the rules, there is no problem.

As far as being clean it can be cleaner and in past years it has been. I have noticed this year that the cleaning staff doesn't do all that they should and i did notice that the management does get on them about it, but they still don't always listen. Rosey (she was in charge of the cleaning staff for years) was sick last year 2003 and she is only working part time now. She is a wonderful person and always remembers us even thought we are only there once a year for a weekend, she checks in on us to make sure the room is ok.

I do feel that the carpets and bathrooms need to be updated but will that make the prices go up. MAYBE!

Dee in the gift shop is also wonderful. She has been there for years and is also pleasant. I have never had a problem with the front desk staff either. The restaurant on the 1st floor is not owned by the El Coronado. The owners and staff are very nice people. The food is very good!

This year we did have a problem with the room smelling like smoke, first of all I blame the people staying there for that, The El Coronado is a smoke free place. But Barbara at the desk had the problem taken care of and personally came up to check. She replaced all the pillows, blanket and bed spread on the bed in the room that smelled the most. Thank you Barbara!

I will and have recommended the El Coronado to my friends, I had a couple of friends stay in other places and visit us while staying at the same time and say that the El Coronado is better.

Your vacation time is what you make it. If you spend all your time complaining then you loose out on the good times. Just enjoy being away from home! I do!

I love the El Coronado

My family and I have been coming to the the El Coronado for 10 years. It is a great hotel for a beach/family vacation. I think some of the reviewers may have unrealistic expectations for what a Jersey beach resort should be. It is not going to have the luxury of the Bellagio or the cleanliness of the Helmsley Palace, but it does have a friendly atmosphere, great staff, great pool, wonderful views, right on the beach and the rooms and common areas are nice and I never noticed a lack of cleanliness. It is a larger hotel, which I like. The entrances to all the rooms are through the interior hallways (as opposed to catwalks where everbody walks past your large bedroom window to get to their room). This certainly helps with privacy and makes you feel like you are in a real, substantial hotel, and not a motel. No one reading this should, in my opinion, hesitate to book a vacation here.

Better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member Rrns828

Stayed at the El Coronado in Sep 2003. Overall was pleasantly surprised. Was a visitor to the El Coronado years ago in 1994 and was not too impressed.

The place was much cleaner and the front desk staff was great. I called the night before asking about checking in before 12:00 noon and was told no problem. Got there at 11:45AM and checked in immediately. Room was above average, decently decorated. Had the larger room with the divider between eating area and second bedroom. A good room if you have children.

The pool was clean and the coffee shop has a more than adequate menu for breakfast. I like the location of the El Coronado at the southern end of Wildwood Crest. Received a box of salt water taffy when cheking out.

I do not know if I would use the word "resort", but I would say that the El Coronado is one of the better places to stay in Wildwood Crest. I still would put the Port Royal ahead but the El Coronado is not far behind.

One of the better hotels.....for Wildwood.

My wife and I first visited Wildwood in 1998 B.C. (Before Children). We stayed at the Waikiki Motor Inn which was quite acceptable, but we knew we could find a better place to stay. In 2002, now with 2 small children, we stayed at the El Coronado. We had a nice beachfront efficiency with 2 bedrooms and kitchen. As in other reviews for all the hotels in Wildwood, you must understand that all the hotels are older. (As far as I know, all new construction in the area are condos). Things to look for in hotels/motels within this category are cleanliness, friendly staff, no bugs, etc. Any type of rennovation activity is also a plus. A hotel on the beach with a heated pool is also a find.
El Coronado meets all the above. The room, as mentioned, was a tad dated, but clean and bug free. Everything in the room worked, TVs, Fridge, phones, appliances, a/c, etc. Plenty of towels and the room was given the daily "once-over" by the maid. The view from the oceanfront balcony was spectacular! The value was particulary noteworthy as the 2 bedroom efficiency was under $90.00 per night, and included breakfast daily, dinner for 2 at an area restaurant, as well as a sightseeing cruise, and more. (We had a Columbus day package....3 nights.....and the weather was great). I know the rates are much higher during the summer seasons....but like the saying goes...location, location, location. All hotels, everywhere, are expensive "in season". But you can put it in perspective....a beachfront hotel in Hawaii is well over $400.00 per night, no meals, and firgure the cost of airfare to get there. Wildwood isn't Hawaii, and the quality and price reflects this. It is, however, an inexpensive and convenient place to "get away" for a nice, relaxing vacation.
Be assured that the hotel is up to speed as far as being clean, friendly and one of the better places to stay in Wildwood. The pool was great, and the food (breakfast) was great. We are still searching for the "best" place to stay in Wildwood, and are going to try the "Port Royal" this coming Columbus day weekend. Perhaps the following year, we'll try out one of those new, modern "Condos" that rent out for the week.
El Coronado is more than adequate for a pleasant, inexpensive getaway to the Jersey Shore.

Even a free room didn't cut it........

by TripAdvisor Member Wildwood-is-best

I still don't see why people return to this motel. This time, I didn't pay for my room - a friend had to book a large room and invited my daughter and me to stay with them. It was nice to see an old friend, but the El Coronado is still the same.
Threadbare carpeting, foreign help, outdated rooms, so rude at the front desk! We were 15 minutes late checking out - you can't take a shower between 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. (everyone is showering for dinner) or between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.(everyone is showering before check-out). I finally settled for an ice cold shower at 10:30, and was 15 minutes late checking out. Not only did they call up to the room two times, they scolded me at checkout, told me I was rude, and told me not to come back again. I tried to explain about the ice cold shower, but Mr. Wonderful has heard it so many times, he has all the answers down pat. Of course, they were sure to collect their entire bill - over $400 for a two night mid-week stay in sub-par conditions.
You can do better! Look through this website for motels and hotels without complaints. They are out there. Another option is to search the web for the many wonderful condo rentals available. Try shoresummerrentals.com, vacationrentals.com, srbo.com, or shorevacations.com. There are so many choices! You don't have to settle for motel garbage. That's all you'll find here!

Very Disappointed!

I have been staying at the el Coronado Resort on a semi regular basis since I was a little girl. I went back with my husband and two young children. We were very disappointed with almost everything about the hotel from the tacky decor to the filthy rooms. My toddler had been crawling on the carpet in our room and the tops of his feet and legs were black with dirt and God only knows what else.
The only part of the stay that we enjoyed was the delicious breakfast in the restaurant on the main floor we had almost every morning. I am sorry to say that we will not be staying at The El Coronado Resort again, unless they do a very long over due renovation

Great Place

My family and I visited the El Coronado back in July 2004 as I was most impressed with the hotel. One of the most impressive features of the hotel is the seamless connection between the beach, sun deck and the pool, this give the hotel a nice wide open feel that appeals to me. The restaurant serves the most delicious breakfast/lunch although a tad expensive and sometime a bit busy, it’s well worth the wait. I have been to 6 hotels in the Crest, from a total disaster to a wonderful experience, the El Coronado is most definitely at the top of the list. They have a nice gift shop and arcade room for the kids. The help is mostly foreign and does not always understand what you’re saying, but if you have patience and a little common sense, there should be no problem getting even the slightest Issue resolved. The rooms were nice size, we had a AAA beach front room two bedrooms and a sofa bed, with all the suite extras, the room was clean and comfortable, a tad outdated but clean, which is the most important thing to me.. The maid service was good, we did have a problem one day, the maid forgot to do our room, spoke to Ralph the manager/owner and the problem was resolved almost immediately. One thing to keep in mind, regardless of where you go in the Crest in July your going to pay high rates, this place is not any different, however if I had to pay a little extra, I would most certainly spend it at the El Coronado…

Nice Place

Let me start this review by saying “Lets keep it real people” I look at the different reviews in this list and laugh, could you tell me how 5 people see a hotel as great and 5 see it as the worse place in the world.. Don’t be fooled people, it a good Idea to come to sites like this for an opinion, but don’t hold it to the letter! Other hotels know many people look at these reviews, and don’t think for one minute that some of the reviews good and bad are just neighboring hotels duking it out with each other in an attempt to change your mind… With that said, you don’t know my motives for rating this place either so, I’m going to give it to your straight.. If you plan on staying in the hotel all vacation long, save your money and don’t come to wildwood, as 99% of the hotels here are 2 maybe 3 stars weak.. That’s the point people, it’s just a place to sleep, relax after a day in the sun, shower, maybe have a snack or two.. But I guess the most important thing about a place like this is the cleanliness, I would not advise you to eat off the floor at this place, but that could be said about any hotel down here, it clean enough, it’s big enough.. The pool has water in it, and the sun does shine here, it’s on the beach and last time I checked, it was covered with the same sand every hotel has… So you ask why come here? That’s a good question, maybe it can best answered by saying, why not…

Not that good

by TripAdvisor Member temple88

This was our first year at El Coronado we usually stay at Aquabeach. Housekeeping never cleaned the toliet the 5 days we were there. The pool closes at 7 pm so forget about letting your children swim after dinner. The staff was nice. Also it was too far from the boardwalk for us. I would never go back.

Comments