25 1/2 Hotel Circle NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87123, United States

Autumn RaptureAutumn Rapture

Albuequerque stationAlbuequerque station

Thursday SpecialThursday Special

Ponderosa WineryPonderosa Winery

Hello its David from vero beach fl, usa

by davidconran

I will be in Albuquerque, nov 3, 2008 for at least 4 days maybe more. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on a quiet motel, that was reasonable. I am not a high roller , but like it clean and quiet, If i could get a deal I would stay longer but it seems the online deal makers are all in the same range. I wanted to go to the peak/ tram. I have to go to santa fe on nov 3, 2003 after that I thought I would dive back to alb, and stay there- open to all ideas- have info on cebu, bohol, camigiun philippines, china, and shenzen- glad to help -bye all,

Re: Hello its David from vero beach fl, usa

by AlbuqRay

David, you may want to take a look at my Albuquerque lodging tips. There is a new tip on the downtown Econo Lodge. CesVT stayed there during the Balloon Fiesta earlier this month and it was reasonably priced. You could message her and see how quiet it was. Others have thought the Clubhouse Inn on Menaul was good value.

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

Unforgiving Bike Paths

by lovemycacti

- Albuquerque is loaded with trails, which is good. However, these are largely bike trails and really not good for walkers as they are long and the desert sun is very unforgiving.
If you do venture upon the trails take A LOT of drinking water, a compass, sun block, sunglasses, a watch, etc. A bike will not only get you places faster but keep you cooler too as breezes in late August seem to be obsolete. Desert creatures are abundant and I was pleasently surprised at the amount of roadrunners (Albuquerques state bird) and hummingbirds. A pocket camera might be a good idea to take along on the walk as well.

-Albuquerque airport is nice, older, and seemingly uncrowded. Not a lot of shops available there, but they do a great job at displaying some of their Native & Spanish cultures in murals, paintings, and glass displays.

-Beauty & photography in the strangest of places... Some shots I took because they were a little off the wall, no real focal point in the picture. But they turned out the best, simply because of the shadows the sun plays on odd curves, like this picture I took at the botanical garden maze. It's a picture of nothing, but I thought it looked kind of interesting!

Manuel's Food Market

by AlbuqRay

Manuel’s Food Market opened in 1924 and is located at the present-day intersection of Edith Boulevard and Roma Avenue. Manuel lived to be 98 and his daughter, Clara, still runs the market. Adelita's grandmother also lived there in the 1920's. Her wonderful blog about the area tells us that "if you’ve never been in Manuel's, make a point to stop by. It is a virtual history museum of Albuquerque politics – there are political posters and pictures everywhere. Clara and my mother spent the better part of an hour talking about neighbors, the fiestas and school."

When I went to Manuel's in July 2008, Clara showed me pictures, sold me some delicious tamales, and told me about how the walking mall on the south side of the store used to be an arroyo. There are so many things in this market to see, I must go back when I have more time and do some shopping (can't believe I said that; I do know it is against the "guy" code). BTW, I didn't see many (better make that "any") Republican posters and pictures, LOL. It is an outstanding collection of Democrats though!

Turquoise Trail National Scenic Byway

by dacrites

I took this route when heading down from Santa Fe to Albuquerque. It was a very nice drive. In the small town of Cerillos, with it's dirt streets...you feel like you've stepped by in time. Stopped there to browse through the Turquoise Mining/Trading Post, although the name sounds more elaborate than what it actually is...it was still nice browsing around. Bought a turquoise bear fetish here...plenty of turquoise and other mineral rocks, plus various Native American and other crafts you can purchase.
------------------------
In the little town of Madrid, as well as other stops along this short route, there are plenty of galleries and shops to spend you money at. The little town of Golden is the site of the first gold rush west of the Mississippi in 1825. Also, the world class golf course, Paa-Ko Ridge Golf Club is found along this route.
-----------------------
It's a nice route to take if you're heading from Santa Fe to Abq, or vice versa...as opposed to sticking to the interstate. It might take you slightly longer, but it's a relaxing & interesting drive.

Great example of NM cuisine at a reasonable price

by roboref about Garcia's

Garcia's has four locations around town. It is one of the places we locals eat at. Good variety of New Mexican dishes. Don't miss the sopapillas! The ambience is plain ol' Route 66 diner, nothing fancy, but you can hardly beat the food. Service is always friendly and quick. For what it's worth, President Clinton loved it during a visit to Albuquerque. Give me the red (chile) enchiladas. Served flat (the New Mexican way) with a healthy(?) dose of shredded cheddar (no queso dip here! that's Tex-Mex) Comes with Spanish rice and refried beans and two sopapillas. Yum-yum!
Ron always orders the carne adovada burrito with green chile and cheese over.

New Mexico Seafood?

by Bwana_Brown about McGrath's - Hyatt Regency

McGrath's is the main restaurant in the Hyatt Regency hotel - and it serves very good food! There is also a nice bar area adjoining the eating portion of the establishment. On my second night in the city, one of the groups organizing the meetings treated a bunch of us to dinner and it was a very pleasant experience. Hailing from Atlantic Canada, I was intrigued by their appetizer of Southwestern Clam Chowder, flavoured with New Mixican Hatch Chili. Were these fresh from the Rio Grande? No matter, it tasted more like a corn chowder with clams in the mix but it was very good (voted best in Albuquerque!). I was on a roll so stuck with the seafood for the main course of Seared Scallops with paella rice, grape tomatoes and asparagus. A couple of shared bottles of Australian Penfold wine complemented the meal quite nicely. Although the service and quality of food was excellent for this meal, at breakfast the next morning it took about an hour to have the food delivered - how complicated is ham and eggs at breakfast time? My ratings below reflect my impressions of the evening meal - luckily for the Hyatt!

Comments