Hampton Inn Albuquerque North

Baymont Inn And Suites Albuquerque
Expedia.com BaymontInns.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2.5 star hotels

More about Albuquerque

pretty sunset as we approach Albuquerquepretty sunset as we approach Albuquerque

The Skybar at Imbibe, perfect if you wanna escapeThe Skybar at Imbibe, perfect if you wanna escape

Albuquerque From Mesa Point TrailAlbuquerque From Mesa Point Trail

Central Avenue EntranceCentral Avenue Entrance

Day and a half in ABQ, what to do and where to stay?

by tddragoon

We are planning a trip to Albuquerque, and were planning on spending one night and about 1 and a half days.

Mt first question: We are planning on taking the Sandia tram, the Petroglyph national park, a visit to old town, and nob hill. I was wondering if that's too much for the time we are spending there, or not enough. If too much, what should we pass on, and if not enough, what should we add?

And my second question, we are looking at staying at the LaQuinta on I25 and San Antonio Drive I believe. I was wondering if that's a decent enough hotel in a decent enough neighborhood, and if not, where should we stay?

by bocmaxima

Your itinerary is fine. When are you planning on doing this? The top of the Sandia Tram will be very cold at this time of year, and even still pretty cold at night in the summer.
I-25 at San Antonio is not a bad area. It's a little far out and not particularly walkable to anything, but not a lot of hotels are in Albuquerque. I would try to get something in Old Town or even in the Uptown area, around Winrock Center. It depends on your budget though.

by tddragoon

We will be going during the last two weeks of May, not sure the exact day yet, but most likely on the earlier side of that span.

We will have our car with us, so a little far out isn't too bad. And having the car is a reason we'd like to stay in a nicer neighborhood.

by tddragoon

Oh, and thank you for your answer!

by goodfish

We liked Clubhouse Inn and Suites - here's my review:

It was ranked very high on Trip Advisor and completely fulfilled our expectations.

Yes, you should be able to do everything - maybe do Petroglyph, the Sandia Tram and Nob Hill on your full day. and Old Town on your 1/2 day? I wrote a bunch about Petroglyph, if you're interested, and you can easily do it in a 1/2 day - even less depending on how much hiking you want to do.

by prometheus

That hotel is ok, but is not in a pedestrian area...lots of traffic. If you can find a good price at the Hotel Albuquerque in Old town, I would recommend that. You can walk to Old Town from there easily.
For places to eat in the Nob Hill/University area, see my VT travel pages.
Happy trails...

by tddragoon

Thank you all for your answers! I can now cross ABQ off my preplanning list. Again, thank you all.

by dmac733

You would enjoy the Albuquerque biopark and Aquarium also. http://www.cabq.gov/biopark/ This is near Old Town and near the Zoo also. Not much in Uptown only the Mall. Downtown would be a good area to get a hotel this would get you near Old Town, Biopark and Nob Hill. You can take the Rapid ride bus to any these areas. Enjoy.

by tddragoon

Thanks, we'll stop by if we have time, but as we're not really zoo people (to us, one zoo is every zoo) it's low priority. But we appreciate the tips anyway. Thanks all!

by NM-Native

A newer property is the Holiday Inn Suites on Jefferson (right by I-25) we like it because it is right by the Cliff's Amusement Park and many eateries. Over the days of June 10 - 14, you can get a preferred rate using NML as your group code.
It is for a lacrosse clinic, enjoy!

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

Pretty sky

by supune

I liked how pretty the sunsets were here. There were different shades of orange, yellows, purples. The clouds looked cool. Bring your camera if you go out around dusk. The air felt clean and crisp compared to LA. It was funny to hear how the locals did complain about how the pollution would settle up against the Sandias. I guess L.A. air must be really bad.

"Chile" not "Chilli"

by lovemycacti

Apparently, this is something locals take to heart. Chile is everywhere! The official state question is 'red or green'? As in red or green chile because they smother it on everything. Walking into any restaurant there is chile. Even in franchise places such as McDonalds they'll give you chile packets instead of ketchup.

Walk into any gift shop, you'll find chile pepper coffee, jalapeno popcorn, etc. New Mexicans like their weather hot - and their food to be even hotter! Going into the gift shops in old town you'll be sure to walk out with chile pepper peanut brittle, chile pepper ice cream (!!) or anything else you can think of.

Side note - IBS sufferers may find relief in chile pepper as it does something marvelous to your blood.

Be sure to take your camera as there are fantastic pictures to be taken of shops and homeowners drying chile peppers outside their doors.

Acoma "Sky City" Pueblo

by dacrites

Approx. 50 miles west of Albuquerque, located 15 miles south of I-40, the Acoma pueblo is considered on of the oldest, continously inhabited settlement in North America. It's located on top of a 367-foot mesa, and, along with its San Esteban del Rey Mission which was built in 1629, is listed on the federal register of historic places.
---------------------------
All visitors must report to the Visitor Center, where you pay applicable fees for a one hour guided tour of the pueblo, photography, etc.

This guy gives bicycle tours....

by brdwtchr

This guy gives bicycle tours. Snapped this photo of him on his lunch break. You'll need a car to get to Sandia Crest. Once we were at Old Town there were many things to see that were in walking distance of each other.

Delish New Mexican/Fusion

by apbeaches about Artichoke Cafe

Service was to par, wine list extensive, eclectic menu in a warm quiet restuarant. My crab cakes were Southwest/Asian. Memorable and wonderful.

My husbands veal with capers were equally good.

I'm sorry we didn't try the artichokes ...

Comments