Hotel Albuquerque At Old Town

800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, formerly Sheraton Old Town, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87104, United States
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Albuquerque At Old Town

Pleasant Stay at Hotel Albuquerque

by TripAdvisor Member dazie

Just returned from a convention in Albuquerque, where I stayed at the Hotel Albuquerque. It is conveniently located, just a short walk to Old Town, and a short drive to the downtown convention center. My room was a newly renovated one on the top floor. Beautiful view of the mountains from the window! The room was immaculately clean, and comfortable. Good quality pillows and a down comforter on the pillowtop bed. Also, a fluffy robe and Aveda toiletries were a nice touch. There were only a couple of things that could have been improved. The bathroom was equipped with a pedestal sink and had only a small shelf on which to put toiletries. In addition, the heating unit struggled mightily, and with some noise, to heat the room. The staff at this facility was very friendly and welcoming. I'd stay again.

National Historic Register Hotel

by Pawtuxet about Albuquerque Hotel

We stayed at a National Historic Register Hotel in Albuquerque. LaPasada de Albuquerque Hotel is the oldest hotel in the city. It was a wonderful, comfortable hotel..with this marvelous little lobby. Mexican tiles everywhere. They brought us a welcome Aperatif on our first evening there, and put chocolates on our pillows. There was a jazz pianist in the lobby in the evening. I would highly recommend it.

The worst hotel experience of my life

I had a confirmed reservation for a suite at the Hotel Albuquerque. I was born in Albuquerque and had brought my wife for a visit. When we arrived and called the hotel, we were told that our reservation had been eliminated. We did not receive an apology. Moreover, we were told that the hotel deliberately overbooks and that confirmed reservations do not matter and that the hotel 'does this all the time'. I was told twice that the hotel's policy is 'first come first serve' to whichever guests make it to the hotel first every day to get a room; the remainder are sent away.

I had been hoping to stay at a spacious suite within walking distance of the Plaza. I am now staying by the freeway near the airport. Instead of being within walking distance to historical sights, my wife has a view of the Spearmint Rhino.

The fact that this hotel did this, even though I had a confirmed reservation for one of its most expensive rooms, and that the clerk did not even apologize, is inexcusable.

Romance in The Old Town

We have just spent five nights at the Hotel Albuquerque and it was everything we could have asked for.
My husband had a business trip to Albuquerque and so as not to get into trouble over Valentine's, he took me with him. It is a long journey from Edinburgh to Albuquerque but was worth every mile!
The staff at the hotel were delightful from the start and couldn't have been more helpful. We needed more teabags in our room, from Britain you see, they sent them straight up. The waiter in the restaurant, Kevin, was charming but unobtrusive. Everyone smiled and said hello and ofcourse,"You're welcome!"
The hotel is beautiful. The entrance hall is stunning. The furniture gives you the flavour of New Mexico without being a cliche. The room was spacious and tasefully decorated. The carpets were just lovely throughout.
We ate breakfast and dinner in the less expensive of the two restuarants and felt it was value for money and gave us a flavour of the region. The breakfasts are big, compared to British portions, so be warned. I defy you to finish a plate of their blue corn pancakes! The Q Bar had an up town feel but with a warm welcome and nice cocktails.
You step out of the back door of the hotel into the Old Town which was great when I was left to fend for myself for two days on foot. It was also close enough to walk or take a bus to the Botanical Gardens.
This is a busy hotel with many functions and conventions on each day yet you do not feel they intrude on your stay.
If we are ever lucky enough to go back to this interesting part of America I would beg for a room at The Hotel Albuquerque!

Highly Recommended

A wonderful place. Relaxing, above average rooms, beautiful carpet throughout, beautiful grounds, well kept, nice staff. There is a great fireplace in the lobby where you can sit with a cup of tea or coffee. Walking distance to Old Town and nearby museums. Restaurant has above average ambience but only average food. Breakfast is decent but a little pricey.

Good, not great

by TripAdvisor Member Travelermama

Based on the reviews I'd read here, and the desk clerk's comment that our room was one of the newly remodelled, I had high expectations.

While the room was acceptable, it wasn't wonderful. "Newly remodelled" apparently includes stained carpet, dingy lampshades, worn towels and sheets, and a dirty window. Neither the elevators nor the hallways were particularly clean. I had been looking forward to the hot tub, but it was an unmanageable distance, particularly on this weekend of below freezing evenings.

If you're looking for affordable meals, especially breakfast, try Little Anita's to the south of the parkinglot. Excellent food and waitstaff who will soothe your frazzled traveler's nerves.

What a Nightmare!

We checked in had on Feb 25. I had reserved 2 double beds 2 months before had. We straight up to our room, it was a king size bed. So back down the stairs, to tell them this wasn't going to work for 4 people. I ws informed that was all there was. A close friend of mine checked in 30 mins and manged to get 2 double beds. I went back to the front desk after we got out things in the room. I requested a roll away figuring we would make the bed of a bad situtation. Well by 10:30pm I am calling the front desk to be told there are no roll aways. Thankfully wee checked out the next am! Now I get my credit bill and and I was over charged. I call the hotel and find out I'm charged for a movie that was order when we hadn't even checked in yet. Just when you think it is over it is still there bothering you!

Comfortable spot in a nice location

It depends on what you're looking for in a hotel. If you want comfortable accomodations, fairly clean rooms, lovely common areas and a quiet location, then this is a perfect choice. If you're used to five-star services, concierge luxuries, bellmen and town cars, then look elsewhere. In fact, probably don't look in Albuquerque at all.

All I needed was a clean place to stay with air conditioning, a business center, and a spot to relax after a long day of business travel. This hotel hit the spot. I did notice, however, many other travelers who had issues with service. Whether it was a poor room, a taxi that never arrived, or a restaurant that was ill-equipped to handle a full house, the hotel was certainly not problem-free. For me - who doesn't require that much - I found it absolutely acceptable. The best part was the outdoor gardens where there were plenty of places to sit outside and enjoy the great weather. The hotel was quiet and very well kept.

The only issues I encountered were inconveniences, but hardly reasons to avoid the hotel altogether. I had placed a request for breakfast on my door, and no one claimed the ticket. I called, and they were very helpful about getting my breakfast to my room quickly. On the second evening, however, the ticket was not replaced. The other problem was the business center. I paid $10 for exactly 7 minutes of internet access.

Otherwise, the staff was pleasant and friendly (if not occasionally frazzled by all the guests). The location was convenient for walking to Old Town, and compared to the hotels I saw there (and that my colleagues stayed at, i.e. the Hilton), I'd say it's a fair choice over many others.

Good news, bad news

by TripAdvisor Member Narrowgauge

We had one of the renovated rooms. It was spacious; pretty good bed, couch, table; decorations reasonably attractive; staff at front desk pleasant. The cafe served a pretty good supper and breakfast. Our initial impression was good.

But--
1. The second day, the housekeeping staff made the bed, but did not tidy the bathroom or leave us any towels. I think they don't have enough towels--the day we checked in we had towels, but about 6:00 somebody showed up with a bathmat. I think they have to wash the dirty ones before they can give you clean ones.
2. Worse, the housekeeper left our door open.
3. The vent fan in the bathroom works so poorly that if you want to be able to see yourself in the mirror after a shower, you need to leave the bathroom door open.
4. The bathtub doesn't drain properly (what's up with hotel drains? I've stayed in some otherwise very nice hotels where the tub doesn't drain properly.)
5. The only shelf in the bathroom is too small to hold one Dopp kit, much less two. Don't the people who design these rooms ever travel?
6. There are not enough electrical outlets to charge your phone, charge your computer, and use the lamp at the same time. There's no high speed internet access.
7. The chair is too low to be able to work comfortably at the table. I think the hotel's main business is tour groups and functions, so maybe these people don't try to work while they're there.

two nights in town

by ccboyd

I will be in albuquerque next week for two nights on my way to ca. Ineed to know of a really clean hotel in old town.I would like to keep it at around 125.00 a night.I am driving from tn. i was going to fly this week,but with the flu scare i canceled(and lost) my tickets,so my money is a little tight. And what do you think of the train ride into Santa fe the next day. Would it be to rushed or should i just do around in ALB- Thanks.

by prometheus

Try the Hotel Albuquerque, which is very nice and in Old Town. Ask them if they have any "specials". There are a couple of other good hotels nearby..check out MapQuest or some other web site.

If you are limited in time and want to see Santa Fe, it is much faster to drive. From Old Town it is a 60-70 minute drive to the plaza in SFe. If you take the train, it will be closer to 2hrs, including finding the station and parking, etc. The train ride itself is about 90 min. from downtown abq to SFe.

You can check out the train schedule at the New Mexico Rail Runner's web site. It is a scenic ride/drive through the high desert of Ne Mexico...a lot different than Tn!
Happy trails!

by bocmaxima

Sorry to hear that you lost your cash. The flu hasn't really been as bad here in the Southwest as the national media has made it out to be. They've closed a few schools, but I've been at work this whole time and have no fears of it.
Anyway, Hotel Albuquerque would be my first suggestion too. And you should call to see if you can get something cheaper than the rack rate. Weekdays, provided there isn't something going on that weekend, you should be able to find something.
If you left early then you could do a day trip to Santa Fe. Much of what you should see in Santa Fe is an easy walk from the rail station there. Walking to the station in ABQ to/from Old Town will require a bus or taxi ride though.
hth

by AlbuqRay

You might want to check out the Bottger Mansion B&B (http://www.bbonline.com/nm/bottgermansion/rooms.html). I think you would really enjoy it if they have availability. You will not find a better location and they have a couple of rooms within your budget. Another good alternative is Casas de Suenos, but I don't know what it costs these days.

Comments