Motel 6 Albuquerque West Coors Road

Nob Hill Motel, AlbuquerqueNob Hill Motel, Albuquerque

Order and Pick Up at the CounterOrder and Pick Up at the Counter

CesVT and Cardamom PancakesCesVT and Cardamom Pancakes

The Senor and MeThe Senor and Me

Where to move near jogging/biking trails?

by annajulia11

Hello, I have been reading your website and find it very useful. I haven't gotten through all of it, so I appologize if this question has been posted before. I am moving to ABQ in June and I would like to live close to dirt jogging/biking trails. I would also love a mountain view. I am doing online apt, condo, and home searches and I was wondering which neighborhoods and streets you think I should look for? Also I will be working at the university, so do you think it would be too far to live near the mountains and commute? Thanks in advance!

RE: Where to move near jogging/biking trails?

by dmac733

I think for the trails you would want to live in the foothills near the Sandia mountain, Indian School is one street and Montgomery both cross Tramway. Now that would be a bit of a drive to the University. But there are jogging and biking trails around the University and a pretty good view of the mountains. Either way you have to drive for work or to the dirt trails. If you check on online you can find websites telling about the trails in Albuquerque. Good luck on your move.

RE: Where to move near jogging/biking trails?

by AlbuqRay

You might consider the area near Tramway and Central. There are some new townhouses going up east of the Smith's grocery store that have good access to bike trails. The tramway north-south trail is easily reached and many people ride on old Highway 66 (east-west). There are also many trails in the canyon and foothills. This is an area near the mountains but not east of them. Actually I-40 and North 14 provide easy access to town (except in bad weather) if you would like to live in the east mountain area.

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

Albuquerque-Gallup-Canyon de Chelly-Grand Canyon

by AlbuqRay

You may drive from Albuquerque to Gallup in a couple of hours, but I would not recommend that. There are some very interesting things to do in between. Don't miss Acoma Pueblo's Sky City, which is off I-40 less than half way to Gallup. Sky City will take 3-4 hours. I would then recommend going back to I-40 and then turn south on NM-53 at Grants to do the El Malpais cave (~1 hour) and for sure El Morro (~2 hours). Then take NM-602 to Gallup and spend the night in the El Rancho Hotel and Motel. It's a historic hotel where many movie stars used to stay and has a very interesting lobby (see my NM hotel tip).

I have not been to Canyon de Chelly or the three Hopi Reservation mesas, but I have heard they are good. If I were doing it, I would take old US-666 north out of Gallup and, if I survived (it is supposed to be haunted), would turn west on Hwy-264 and then US-191 to Chinle after stopping at the Hubbell Trading Post. I think Canyon de Chelly will take most of a day (jeep tour?). After spending the night, I would go back to Hwy-264 and do the scenic drive across the Hopi mesas to Tuba City. Another alternative would be to go further north on US-191 and see Monument Valley via US-160 and US-163. I would then catch US-89 south and AZ-64 west. Be sure to stop at Desert View on the way to Grand Canyon Village.

Petroglyph National Monument

by leafmcgowan

Petroglyph National Monument is a several area park nestled up to the Albuerqueque's resident volcanoes that protects a variety of cultural and natural resources including the volcanos, archeological sites and an estimated 20,000 carved images on the volcanic basalt rocks that litter the canyons, valleys, and hills. Most of these petroglyphs are pecked and are recognizable animals, people, brands and crosses; with others being more complex symbology. These images are inseparable from the cultural landscape, the spirits of the people who created, and who appreciate them. Start your tour at the small quaint visitor center, with a small kiosk explaining the park and the art, artifacts, and peoples who lived here ... grab maps for your hike and explorations ... and grab a gift or two for memories of your visit. On occasion, fresh kiva-baked bread is sold outside by the ovens from local tribes. We bought a loaf during our visit and it was phenomenally delicious. We went to the southern trails, at Rinconada Canyon for a 2 1/2 mile loop trail hike with over 400 rock art images in the area. Unfortunately, there was a lot of vandalism from locals varying from gunshot damage, litter of broken bottles, and graffitti people placed over the petroglyphs. Many of the American Indian petroglyph images were etched 300 to 700 years ago. The Spanish petroglyph images were etched 200 to 300 years ago by the 'hammer and chisel' methodology of pecking. The variety of petroglyphs was fabulous, but the condition was not. This park certainly needs more attention and monitoring. Rating 3 stars out of 5. Visited 11/30/08.

Madrid, New Mexico

by AlbuqRay

Madrid is an old mining town that is now an artists colony. It is fun to go through the shops there. It is between Santa Fe and Albuquerque on the Turquoise Trail (State Highway 14); it takes about 40 minutes to get there. The days of bargin prices are gone now though.

What is the best New Mexican Food Restaurant?

by AlbuqRay about See the List

First of all, notice this tip addresses New Mexican food. Mexican and Tex-Mex food are different. A New Mexican food restaurant will have green and red chile with an "e," refried pinto beans, tortillas (corn and flour), chicken, pork and beef dishes with cheese and onions, and sopaipillas with honey. The more popular places in Albuquerque are
- Padilla's Mexican Kitchen (Girard and Indian School)
- Weck's (6 locations)
- Charlie's Front Door (Southwest corner of Menaul and Wyoming)
- Los Cuates (Lomas and San Mateo)
- La Salita (one block south of Constitution on Eubank)
- El Pinto (10500 4th St. NW) great venue but inconsistent food quality
Note that Tomasita's in Santa Fe (next to old railroad depot) may be the best of all. You cannot go wrong at any of these restaurants.

Smooth with a definite feminine touch

by RblWthACoz about Graze by Jennifer James

It only took once or twice of me walking by this restaurant for it to catch my eye enough for me to want to check it out. In this case, the icing on the cake is just a little bit better than what's underneath. The food was good and clean, but it lacked any serious punch that would send me back here in a hurry. I ordered the 3 course set lunch menu, though everything else is served as small plates so that you can "graze" and try several different things. One day I might go back, but I will be checking out other places before that.

Comments