Rodeway Inn Albuquerque

Motel 6 Central Albuquerque
Expedia.com Hotels.com Tingo.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Albuquerque

Go and sin no more!Go and sin no more!

Mary and the Christ ChildMary and the Christ Child

Bun Tom Thit Nuong Cha GioBun Tom Thit Nuong Cha Gio

Route 66 in Albuququerque, 1969Route 66 in Albuququerque, 1969

walking in a perfect world?

by chaza

My husband and I are moving to Albuquerque this summer and are looking for a desirable place to live. To us that means walking/biking distance, 20 minutes or so, to:

-restaurants, health food and coffee shops, live music
-dog friendly, maybe a park
-preferably in an established area that's fairly safe - rather than the burbs

I know this is probably asking too much...

We will be working close to downtown and think that the east side would be better due to commuting. It seems online that the health food stores are all located on the east side of the river, is this true?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

by bocmaxima

The northeast quadrant of the city is regarded as the better area of town, with the exception of a few northwesterly suburbs.
Nob Hill (Central Avenue near the UNM campus) is sort of the college/alternative area of town. This fits your 20 minutes criteria, but you'd have to live near college students, which brings its own problems. Plus, it's one of the more pricey areas.
There are, however, many newer lofts and condos between University and I-25 along Central Ave and Copper Street. It won't be walk-alone-at-2am safe, but it's definitely not a dangerous area. These are also typically too expensive for college students. It's a cool area though.
For live music, it seems like most of the bands I like to see (as well as the better local ABQ bands) play at the Launchpad, which is Downtown near Central and 7th. I'm sure there are other venues though, and it depends on what sort of music you're wanting to see. Downtown has quite a few good bars and clubs though.

hth

by dmac733

The Downtown area is a great place to live. And has all you are asking for. There are many good areas close to Downtown Nob Hill, NE Heights UNM area just look before you pick a place. I always feel safe in Albuquerque. We have plenty of good bike trails and one that is just off Downtown by the Bio Park and Tingley Park. No mater where you live in Albuquerque you will find a park and usully walking distance to where you live. Welcome to Albuquerque.

by AlbuqRay

You have already gotten some good advice but I would specifically recommend Ridgecrest as the area in which to live near all the Nob Hill perqs. Another area that comes to mind that has not been mentioned is the area around Rio Grande and Candelaria, which would be a quick drive/ride to Old Town and Downtown. My daughter always loved living downtown before she had kids. I should clarify something Dave said (correct me if I am wrong, Dave), his comment should read "Downtown, Nob Hill" because without the comma, it would be an oxymoron. Dave is really right on about the parks and bike trails in Albuquerque; they are almost everywhere.

RE: RE: walking in a perfect world?

by kymbanm

My votes would be for ... well all of the suggestions so far! I live near Nob Hill and Ridgecrest neighborhoods and love walking to the local pub or my FAVORITE Thai place in the evenings. Enjoy your move and let us know how it works out ;)

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

The aerial tramway to Sandía...

by zZigzZag

The aerial tramway to Sandía Peak is a beautiful and spectacular trip. Also, you can drive up the east side of the mountain to Sandía Crest. The tram ride is most enjoyable in daylight, but I think the view from the top is best at night when you can see the lights of Albuquerque, and sometimes Santa Fe and Los Alamos, spread out below.

Did they say Isotopes?

by naplesnate

I'm a big soccer/baseball fan and both of these sports may take some patience to fully appreciate all the intricacies.
What better way to enjoy the great american passtime in optimal weather with a wonderful backdrop of the sandia mountains in a brand new stadium.
The team is decent too so theres a good chance you'll see some top pros come through here.
Named after a 'Simpsons' episode, the isotopes are the minor league team for the FLA marlins.
Minor league games provide all the access to the sport that has disappeared with the majors.
The stadium is just east of downtown, accessable via I-40. shorts and a T-shirt.

Drive an hour and a half west...

by Marti_Reed

Drive an hour and a half west to Jemez Springs. Great scenery. Jemez Springs is on the road the climbs up a side of the Valle Grande, the largest volcanic crater in the world. Great town, great food, great B&B's, great hot springs, a really good day trip

Montezuma's asleep at the wheel!

by bobkw2000 about Garduno's

The look and atmosphere of the restaurant are quite nice. Unfortunately, the service left a lot to be deisred. The hostess had to find out what happened to my meal about 30 minutes after ordering. The waitress forgot, then she forgot my guacamole when she brought the food and had to be reminded. The meal had obviously been sitting a while by the time I got it. The food was OK, nothing spectacular though. And, I ended up getting sick a few hours after eating.

This visit was on a Sunday for lunch, and I sat on the patio, and the waitress may have been having a bad day, but I can't recommend Garduno's when there are so many other good, attentive Mexican restaurants around. Don't have one.

Pad Thai - oh my :)

by kymbanm about Orchid Thai Cuisine

I have been going to this restaurant since they opened a couple of years ago. They took time to redo the interior, and had local Thai Buddhist monks help by painting murals. They have a donation box for the local Wat, or Thai Buddhist temple by the register.

Their menu is practically a book! Page after page of choices ... when I can't make up my mind, I just ask my server for ideas. They will ask me a couple of questions, and end up bringing me a wonderful meal. I love their Pad Thai - flavorful and filling... and each soup I have had the priviledge of ordering has been heavenly. I have to say my favorite thing every summer is the mango and sticky rice dessert . OMG! I have been known to just show up for that alone!

The orchids that decorate each plate has been cleaned appropriately as to be edible! I would never have known if AlbuqRay hadn't told me :)

Oh, and the Thai iced tea is a must!!!!!

Comments