Silver Moon Lodge

bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Old, but not Old Town

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 22, 2006

Having been to Albuquerque a couple of times before, I knew where this place was and scoffed at the description of it being in Old Town. Old Town is actually over a mile to the west.
The Silver Moon is actually only a few blocks from Downtown, which itself is a very cool area. Hotels in Downtown Albuquerque are typically either very expensive or very cheap and dingy. The Silver Moon sort of falls between the two. It's an older motel, probably having been a chain place at one point. In typical old motel style, the room comes with Johnson-era bathroom, Reagan-era carpeting and walls that you can use to join in on the coversations of your neighbors. It also has one of those old cafes that have been abandoned and are now used as storage areas.
However, there were no prostitutes, no drug addicts, just instead the usual slew of Saturday fun at a cheap motel in an urban area (slamming doors, yells from the parking lot, car stereos from the street).
The staff was very nice, I really didn't pay much for the room (I think it was about $40), and it is one of the better places on Central Avenue (which is actually not saying much).
I won't stay here again, but would recommend it to anyone who might want a cheap hotel near Downtown (although the hostel is just down the street from here), albeit along with a stern warning.

Unique Quality: Good location

Directions: Central Avenue just west of Downtown

SvetlanaL's Profile Photo

Decent hotel Downtown Albuquerque

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 29, 2005

The people at the front desk and were nice enough to let me check-in early as I had gone shopping and my hands were full of boxes. One of the women walked me to my room and helped me carry some souvenir boxes. They didn't have the room I reserved (king size, smoking), so they gave me two double beds instead. I spent one night on one bed and the second night on the other. Had to get my money's worth. The room stayed perpetually cold, no matter how high I cranked up the heat, it was blowing cool air, and blowing is an understatement, the entire room was almost windy.

Unique Quality: The hotel had horseshoe design and all rooms were on the first floor. The woman at the front desk drove me to the train station at the end of my stay and chatted with me on the way. It felt like I knew her by the end of the ten-minute ride to the Union Station.

Directions: Near Central and 10th St.

Albuquerque Travel Forum

Need advice about Albuquerque, New Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Albuquerque and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Albuquerque hotel reviews

Open Space Activities
Sports & Outdoors
Route 66
Favorites
One station - many options!
Greyhound Services
New Mexico Rail Runner
Yarn Shop
Shopping
Visit Acoma - Sky City
Things to Do
Ride the Longest Aerial Tramway!
Historic Old Town Albuquerque
Things to Do Around Albuquerque
Traditional and Innovative New Mexican Food
Restaurants
What is the best New Mexican Food Restaurant?
Not Utility and Not a Shack
Shopping
Manuel's Food Market
Rattlesnake Museum
Things to Do
Hit or miss, make it a hit!
Descansos