The Hotel Blue Albuquerque

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Convenience AND budget!

Hotel Blue is located at the edge of Alubquerque's Downtown district, just off historic Route 66, providing easy access to both the Downtown area and Old Town Plaza (which is within easy walking distance).

Check-in was easy and quick even though I arrived late in the evening.

The good-sized rooms include fridge, microwave, coffee making facilities, dispenser toiletries and internet, and are furnished with Tempur-pedic beds; rooms have either a mountain or Downtown view. Included with the room rate is a complimentary continental-style breakfast served within the refreshments area which includes a selection of breads, fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins, 'make your own' waffles as well as a selection of coffee, tea and juices. During the day, the refreshment area continues to offer free fruit juices, coffee, teas and hot chocolate.

The hotel also provides a free shuttle bus (between 07:00 and 22:00) providing services to the airport, Downtown station (for Greyhound, bus, Amtrak and New Mexico Rail Runner services), as well as Old Town Plaza.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located 6 blocks from Albuquerque Convention Center and about a mile from Old Town where you will find the Museum of Natural History and Science, National Atomic Museum and Explora! Science Center and Children’s Museum making it a great base for any visit to Albuquerque.

The hotel has a lovely Art Deco lobby, in which are located two computers with internet connection for the use of hotel guests; during the day, a plate of biscuits (cookies) is located here for guests to help themselves. Free WiFi internet access can also be found in the lobby and refreshment area.

The hotel also has an outdoor pool which was not used during my stay in November as it was too cold.

Directions: On the corner of Central Avenue and 8th Street, between Downtown and Old Town.

• lonegranger's Profile Photo

Great downtown location. Nice place to stay.

It may seem a little pricey but the downtown location is great. I lucked out and got a room facing east, downtown and the Sandia mountains. The gated parking is great for being downtown but spots go quick then you have park along street. The pool is huge though I didn't use it. The large flat screen tv is wonderful. The akward closet/bathroom set up is tiny and just strange. Really one of the most comfortable beds I've experienced in a while at a hotel.

you are within walking distance of galleries, restaurants, coffee and sushi places. the breakfast is standard and very crowded. Wireless is fine. front desk is friendly and not very stuffy. There is a fantastic growers market in the park across the street on summer weekends. I will stay here again when I visit Abq and it is in my budget.

• SvetlanaL's Profile Photo

Great Hotel on Historic rt. 66

I walked from the train station to the hotel, although they do offer a pick-up service. When I arrived the staff was very friendly, helpful and attentive. After sleeping on a train and a hostel the night before, the king size bed and down-feather pillows were heavenly. The room had a very relaxed feel. The hotel is very appropriately names as it has a serene blue feeling to it. The art on the walls was interesting for a change and there was lots to choose from on the television. The bathtub was deep enough to take a bath in and the hotel soaps and shampoos were actually nice.

Unique Quality: Large, comfortable king size bed (definately unique in many hotels) and pillows. They also offer many services for the business man on the go and companies hosting events. Breakfast is served downstairs in the morning, which includes waffles, cereals, coffee, fruits, hard-boiled eggs, and muffins. Close to Museum of Albuquerque and the Aquarium, along with several pottery and jewelry shops, of which most are owned and supplied by Native Americans from the Navajo tribe. The reservation that spans over the four corners area, is not far away. There is an outside hallway and balconies surrounding all the rooms from the outside, offering various views of the city and glimpses of the Sandia Ridge from outside the hotel room.

Directions: Near the intersection of Centrak and 18th St.

• Homeresque's Profile Photo

Eclectic and friendly, but rowdy after dark!

I would recommend the Hotel Blue to visitors, but
    was taken by surprise by the management's unwillingness to quell rowdy or noisy behavior by guests who might have just come from cruising
    66.

The area is noisy enough at night, but permitting guests to yell and celebrate in a drunken stupor is not the restful environment I was anticipating.

However, don't over look the hotel for this reason
    alone as it's quirky nature and friendly staff are
    reasons to give it a try as my family and I did.

Unique Quality: Nice pool
    Great breakfast fare
    Walking distance to nice shops and restaurants
    Centrally located
    Very reasonable rates

More about The Hotel Blue Albuquerque

Unique hotel downtown

The downtown location is great and the art-decor decor is a refreshing change from typical hotel decor. Staff was friendly and the complimentary breakfast had a good selection. We would stay again.

Don't Trouble Yourself With The Blue

by TripAdvisor Member mukymuk

The Hotel Blue is a dated, dirty motel with a new paint job. We chose this motel online where it appeared to be clean and hip. Upon arrival, however, we encounted a rude staff member who could care less about helping us out. Even though we asked for a non-smoking room, our room reeked of smoke. It seemed as if our room was at one time a smoking room and management had tried to cover the smell with new carpet and paint. When we asked for a new room, the staff at the front desk acted as if it was a huge hassle even though the motel was virtually empty. We eventually did get into a new room, but it also smelled of smoke. Furthermore, when we asked for extra pillows the staff claimed that they could only find one extra pillow in the whole place -- again, this even though the motel was virtually empty. After speaking to the manager, we managed to get 3 extra pillows, but 2 of them along with the sheets on our bed appeared to be dirty and smelled like dirty socks.

Overall, our experience at this motel ranks amongst our worst travel accomodation experiences. The staff is rude, the rooms smell and entry into them is from the outside which amplifies street and people noise, the beds are cheap and uncomfortable, the towels are small and thin, and the bathrooms are small. This place was such a letdown and not at all "boutique" -- don't stay here!

Casual and functional

by TripAdvisor Member J13345

In order to attend a recent conference at a major downtown hotel, I stayed at the Hotel Blue (early February) for economy and stress reasons. The hotel was a few minute's walk from the conference hotel but at about a third of the daily rate, the Hotel Blue is a no-brainer.

The staff is very friendly -- in fact, if anything, maybe a little too friendly -- meaning that I can see how their laid back, casual, and familiar persona might be somewhat disconcerting to travelers more used to the impersonal or simpering service of the customary business fare. However, when push came to shove, they came through with fixing a billing problem and a late night dinner problem. Location is good -- there is a restaurant across the street, several diner/bistros 2 blocks away, and a vinyl table cloth, ESPN blaring, Sinatra poster decorated pizza place 3 blocks away with the best calzones (I know - I used to live in Philly).

The rooms are functional -- more like dressed up dormitories, but they have complimentary internet via ethernet or wi-fi, and the world's most friendliest, complimentary airport van service ($20 value right there!).

Hotel Delusional - Warning - Not 3 Star Quality At All

by TripAdvisor Member rrr1079

Room was booked via I-Net & was supposed to be a 3-Star. It is hard to even say this would be a 2-Star, there was just so much wrong. The drive up appeal was really scarey, but we were pre-paid so we braved it. The lobby was okay looking, but the front desk clerk was too busy on phone so had to wait to check in. I was in total shock that this was considered a 3-star just looking at outside,...asked clerk why, and he stated b/c they had 'nice beds.' He compared it to the Hyatt down the street & said how expensive Hyatt was compared to them for same quality. What a joke - We had stayed at Hyatt for $56 the week prior and this rate was $5.00 more (desk clerk looked stunned when I told him this). Asked him to take a coupon for $49.95 that I had from traveler's book and he refused. Asked him to then upgrade us to a suite and he refused (even though place was 80% empty at the least.) No one to help with luggage (another reason why I needed a hotel w/ 3-star amenities, lots of baggage from long trip).

Finding the rooms was frightening (no help from clerk, again). Got off elevator on 2nd floor and there was nothing there! Saw a door and realized we had to go thru it, but was afraid to walk thru these because of tinted windows, it was too dark to see where we were going... This was the worst of this '3-star' hotel. You had to go back outside to get to the rooms. It was like walking thru a dark alley, but it was up high, street right below. Neighborhood looked scarey.

Room was very small, dark and dingy. The bathroom was teeny-tiny, dark and dirty. TV had sound problems. Ethernet connection was on the opposite wall of desk, so no way to sit at desk to use computer. Had to plug in and sit on a cooler to use my laptop...Ridiculous! No where to hang clothes (the entertainment center was supposed to hold hanging clothes but it was only 4' high!) Okay, I am sorry but a 3-star hotel would at least have a place for travelers to hang suits, coats, etc. This tells you how small this space was! There was a small coffee maker but no pot. Had to convince desk clerk that there was truly no carafe so that we could get one to make coffee... Why would we make that up? Very insulted by this front desk clerk's attitude.

Could hear people thru walls above and beside us. Had to take elevator up 1 floor for ice. Again, very scarey as I had to walk in and out of areas that were so dark, couldn't see what was in front of me. The high fence around the parking lot just reinforced that the area was questionable. This was the scariest hotel, with the most bizarre set-up, I've ever seen. I imagine the bldg is from the 40's or 50's. Another reviewer got it right when he said this was just a motel 6 with a coat of paint and some tiles.
I am in contact with Hotwire regarding the hotel and it's 3-star rating. It's totally misleading and this needs to be corrected. The owners/mngt of Hotel Blue need to visit some 3-star properties and do some comparisons because they are ripping people off, as you can see from some of the reviews.
Never in a blue moon, would I stay here again.

A repainted Holiday Inn

by TripAdvisor Member jv40

To call this hotel a boutique is terribly misleading. The Hotel Blue is no more than a somewhat repainted Holiday Inn. The rooms are clean enough (very dark) but the other elements advertised were non-existent, such as a bar or pool or "art deco" surroundings. We were also told not to walk to the restaurants or bars on Central after dark. One of the reasons we booked the hotel was its location but clearly this too was misleading. There are other options in the area at the same price with more charm. The Hotel Blue was certainly not the hotel of its web site.

only nuts would like this hotel

First, the staff. The front desk clerk had a difficult time understanding that my Wells Fargo debit/credit card WAS a credit card. And wanted to put an extra $50 on it plus the price of the room.."just in case".. this was not told to me when I booked the room. The room was old, dingy, and dark. No fan in the bathroom. And the coffee maker looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. The "breakfast" in the morning was terrible..and by the way, milk is not fine just sitting out for hours on end.
Don't stay here! I am certain even the motel 6 is a better place.

Hotel Blue, Great Location, Iffy Property

by TripAdvisor Member 68amx

Looking for a hotel conventient to the old downtown section of Albuquerque, we stumbled upon the Hotel Blue, a 1960's five story Holiday Inn with a new coat of paint, much of it a garish blue. It was acceptably, though not impeccably, clean and the new Tempur-pedic mattresses made for a good night's sleep, (that is if some peace and quiet could be found, more on that in a bit).

The location is FABULOUS! Only a couple of blocks from the well-done downtown area of the city, with several diners with great character, a few restaurants with great ambience, and a huge modern movie theater, all within walking distance. Several great night spots are within safe walking distance. This is the perfect location for the Route 66 pilgrims, as well.

Parking is free and well-secured in a gated parking area and the desk clerk was super-friendly and helpful. The price was right, $75, including tax.

There is, however, apparently a continuing problem with local college and high school students renting a room for late night parties. I finally called security at 4 am and got some relief. Mentioning it to the desk clerk the next morning he shook his head and said, "Not again. Recently I worked the third shift and had to call the cops. There were thirty-eight people in a suite for a party and the police busted eight of them for possession." Not good.

Overall ... great value, acceptable property, good service, and fabulous location. We'll stay there again, but hope for better security.

Comments