US Suites Albuquerque

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Albuquerque

Once a beacon in the nightOnce a beacon in the night

La CucinaLa Cucina

Bakery SectionBakery Section

Church GroundsChurch Grounds

Relocation Advice

by goldriver

We are a couple living in Sacramento California and we are planning to move to Albuquerque. We want to purchase a duplex and live on one side and rent the other side to tenants. What are the best areas to do that and what areas should we stay away from? We want to live in a good area no gangs or high crime etc. We are also looking to attract good tenants. We are self employed so the commute to work does not matter.

RE: Relocation Advice

by danmike

A large number of live/work townhouses have sprung up around downtown in the past few years and might be what you are looking for. Give the Downtown Action Team a call for more info- their number is 505-243-2230. You might want to purchase a small loft in the area as your rental. It's an up and coming area that would be a great investment for you. We have seen our home almost double in value in the downtown area in just 6 years. It is close to the best entertainment and cultural venues in the city. Good luck.

RE: RE: Relocation Advice

by kymbanm

I agree w/ danmike! Like most cities, downtown is going through major changes and is becoming the best part of town to live in :) I was looking at a duplex purchase recently, and most of the places for sale were in, or close to, an area of town called the War Zone .... you can guess why. So I decided to add to my own property instead. Another area to consider is the Near Heights, Ridgecrest, Nob Hill, and University areas .. Abluquerque is like a patchwork quilt w/ good and bad scattered about. You really need to SEE the neighborhood BEFORE you purchase.

depends what you want...

by prometheus

If living near an active urban area is not important to you then you might consider Rio Rancho. It is mostly suburban but has a shopping center and housing is cheaper there. It is about 20 miles from Abq city center. If you like to be near more trendy places, then the University area, Nob Hill and Downtown might appeal to you. But...those areas are spotty and you need to look at them first. The north valley has the horsey-set and tends to be expensive with a few modest homes sprinkled in.
Like Kymbanm says, Abq is a patchwork, so caveat emptor.

RE: Relocation Advice

by AlbuqRay

You cannot miss if you can find a place in the university area north of Central Avenue. The prices have skyrocketed in that area though.

Travel Tips for Albuquerque

A wonderful online local's guide: Duke City Fix

by kymbanm

Duke City Fix is a local website with contributions by and for locals. There is the quirky, the artistic, the political, day trips, and fun all in one place. There is an arts calendar, blogs, photos and more!

So instead of me writing more about it ... copy and paste the link and check it out for yourself. The arts calendar alone should help you plan your visit :)

This one commands respect.

by tunisianhick

I used ta' didn't have much respect for these things. I ran face first into one and now keep my eyes peeled.
The wild Brown fishing in this area is great fun. Most people don't stray off the main hwy so they end up missing this place. There are camping and hiking opportunities also. Heck, you can even chop your own firewood if you want! This place has it all.

A half day wandering to Chimayo

by kymbanm

Chimayo is a small town in Northern New Mexico. The first settlers came here after the Pueblo Revolt (1680-1692) for the fertile farmland. About a hundred years later, (~1810) a local friar was performing penance, and saw a light coming from the hillside. At the sight of the light, he dug a short way down and found a crucifix. Later named, Our Lord of Esquipulas, this crucifix was taken by a priest to another area. Three times the crucifix turned up missing. Three times the crucifix was found back in it's hole in Chimayo. By now, it was determined that El Senor Esquipulas didn't want to leave Chimayo, and a small chapel was built around his favorite spot. He was placed on the altar

Miracle healings began to occur in Chimayo, and pilgrims began to arrive in droves. Over time, the crucifix and it's healing power became overshadowed by the dirt in El Posito, the sacred sand pit.

Known as the Lourdes of North America pilgrims come from all over - especially at Easter. The Easter pilgrims arrive by foot ... walking from Taos (40 miles), Santa Fe (24 miles) and other part of of the region. The walk itself is seen as a devotion to El Senor Esquipulas .. in anticipation, or in gratitude for previous miracles.

Of course, the local native tribes and pueblos have stories of healing from this area that predate the European settlers. The water from stream and the sacred soil are still important to aboriginal healing in the region.

Chimayo estimates 300,000 visitors a year ..... 30,000 of them for Easter alone. It's a bit of a zoo then, but a worthy journey. It shouldn't surprise anyone who's visited New Mexico that where France has Lourdes and water .... New Mexico has Chimayo and dirt :) We are known for our dust afterall!

Head north on I-25 towards SantaFe, take 599 (Veteran's Memorial Parkway) towards Espanola. Once in Espanola, take 76 about 5 miles to Chimayo and follow the signs to the Santuario

Relax here after shopping in Old Town.

by MarkJochim about La Placita Dining Rooms

Need a break from buying Native American jewerly and Southwestern art on Old Town's Plaza? I like to take out-of-town visitors to historic La Placita. This rambling series of rooms was a hacienda in the Spanish Colonial days of New Mexico (early 18th century through to the mid-19th century). It has a lot of charm; there's even an ancient tree left growing in one of the rooms. The food's great - a mix of New Mexican cuisine and more traditional fare - and there is a huge selection of margaritas. Native American artisans ply their trade under the portal just outside.

Yummy Thai Curry

by SvetlanaL about Thai Crystal

i went to this restaurant becuase I had spare time as the my train was running late. I didn't want to pay for food on the train so I figured I'd eat before hand. This was the closest place to the train station. The restaurant is spacious and uncrowded with a very relaxed, dimly lit ambience. The tables are separted in height, as there is a canopied platform which holds about 8 tables, and so the space seems even larger. The waiters are all attentive and humbly quiet. The flowers on the tables are synthetic, but the food was tasty. I had Panang curry. Although I don't really like panang curry as much as red curry (due to a bad camping experience of mixing the two together), I didn't remember until I had already ordered it and was eating the pring roll. As I try not to make waiters take my food back, I thought I would grin and bear it, I'd eat it anyway. But when it arrived, I must admit it was quite tasty. It was a little bit more watery than most of the curry I've had and the portion was small, but I enjoyed the meal nonetheless.

Comments