Executive Suites And Hotel

Tags

National/State Park Family Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities
bocmaxima's Profile Photo

worst hotel in the country

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 31, 2006

First off, this is now called "Executive Inn and Suites" but retains a lot of the Holiday Inn stuff like the documents and items in the room.
Second, I'm not the type to complain much about hotels. I've stayed in some awful places: Passport Inn in Panama City, Budget Inn in Tucson, Economy Inn in Lordsburg, Safari Lodge in Tucumcari, and have rarely mentioned the bugs, the dirty sheets or the drug addicts.
Although this place contains none of the above, I am absolutely certain that this place is the worst in the country.
I picked it only because it was the last place available in town at short notice on a holiday weekend. When I got to the hotel, the clerk insisted that I need the confirmation number for the reservation. I went and retrieved my computer to show him, and asked if it was a long code (it was alphanumeric, and therefore not a number) to which he responded "No, we don't have a code" and then just sort of wandered off. Another guy came in and the clerk was quick to help, but demanded the same confirmation number. He didn't have one, so the clerk began aimlessly rifling through papers for about five minutes only to return with "I'm sorry, sir." The guy left angrily, and the clerk then tried to explain the situation to me. Once I showed him that magical code, he was happy to give me the room, but I had to sign a "pre-authorization" slip which had a blank charge and total field in a credit card receipt format. I've never had to do this before and was really weary of it, but he insisted that I had to.
When I finally got into the room, it was actually pretty nice. The wi-fi no longer worked, but room was generally clean and the TV had full cable. I took a shower, ate and went to sleep. In the morning, I decided to shower again at about 8:30, and was greeted with basically no hot water. It was warm, but this was with turning the faucet all the way up. It never got hot.

Unique Quality: This place seems like it's just exploiting Holiday Inn's level of maintenance as long as they can, while not doing any of their own, and will then sell off the motel to someone else. Signing an agreement that said "Holiday Inn" on the bottom although knowingly not staying in a Holiday Inn was a little unnerving, and as a result of the experience, I'm always looking for strange charges on my credit card. NEVER stay here.

Directions: US 285 a few blocks south of Downtown

• Kitchenette
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Carlsbad Travel Forum

Need advice about Carlsbad, New Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Carlsbad and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Carlsbad hotel reviews