Carlsbad Hotels

Our Members Say

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Local housing: Maybe rent a house?

Following my exploratory 3-day trip, spent at the Holiday Inn Express, six of us returned to Carlsbad when we were awarded the maintenance contract for a local potash mine. Housing six guys at $100/night each in motel rooms will soon run into significant dollars - so we set our Business Relations expert to work. He did an amazing job in scrounging the local housing market for possible rental locations - securing us two amazing 3-bedroom houses in no time at all.

Not only did this cut down on our accommodation costs, we were also able to stock up on groceries at the local supermarket, resulting in not many Restaurant tips appearing on this page. Both houses were really great - with large TVs in the living room, not to mention the individual TVs in each of the six bedrooms (even if I never turned one on the entire time I was there). This guy arranged for a maid to come three times a week to clean and do our laundry, set up internet and telephone access and bought us bicycles to use - in addition to arranging for a large trailer as our site office at the mine itself. The rear deck set and BBQ was also purchased for our use, and that is were we cooked most of our evening meals. Wow, I've never seen anything like it. For a bunch of guys away from home for 3+ weeks at a stretch, it was so much nicer to have your own spot without thundering herds of children in the hallways and your own kitchen available for use. With getting up at about 5:30 AM six days/week in order to reach the mine before 7 AM, then putting in a 10-hour work day before driving 'home' again - it felt good just to sit back without having to think any more!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel
  • Written October 19, 2008
Tip Photo

Rear patio and BBQ at our 2nd house

• WFTR profile photo WFTR
  • Reviews: 147

Carlsbad City Park: Carlsbad City Park

I wouldn't want to stay in this park during the heat of the summer, but in early December of 1988, it was a decend place to camp on a budget. I think I paid about seven dollars. The place was pretty open if I remember correctly and not that well screened from some parts of the town, but that part of town wasn't crowded. I'd check with the city before planning to stay there again, but it was kind neat.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive