1500 West Pine Street, Deming, New Mexico, 88030, United States

Military RoomMilitary Room

KacninaKacnina

One or Two Nights at Deming

by COMEONDOWN

We heard Deming, Mexico is an interesting stop for a night or two nights, can someone out there recommend a Super 8 or Super 6 Motel/Hotel/Inn. We are traveling from Houston, Texas on to California. Our budget for over nights is pretty narrow, perhaps between $40-$50 dollars per night or hopefully we find someplace even cheaper, as long as the accommodation location is well lighted as our vehicle is packed with our personal things, nothing that is too valuable, it's just personal things as you may know. Does anyone know also where we can find coupons for accommodation perhaps that would help. Thank you for any good and helpful suggestions, we always welcome suggestions from past travelers experience. THANKS TO ALL.

RE: One or Two Nights at Deming

by bocmaxima

Is there any particular reason you chose Deming? It's certainly better than Lordsburg, but I'd still push Las Cruces. There's more to see there and it's a nicer town.
In Deming, you're close to City of Rocks and Rock Hound State Parks. City of Rocks is pretty interesting. Also to the east of town are the Florida Mountains. There's an interesting hiking trailhead/picnic area there. Silver City is also a great day trip as is Columbus/Palomas, Mexico (you park and walk over).
Deming is one of those towns where you can just pull up and get a room though. The Comfort Inn is probably the nicest place in town.
But still, Las Cruces! It's a bigger town, so you've got better restaurants and just generally better shopping but also much better hotels. I usually stay at the Super 8 there and have never paid over $40. There's a Motel 6 right next to it and an independent motel called Park Suites or something similar for about the same price. There's also a very nice La Quinta that I got for $35 on Hotwire the last time I was there. All of these are RIGHT by the interstate and close to La Mesilla, which is nice little tourist-oriented Mexican-style plaza with some great restaurants.

hth

Howdy Colins,
Thank you so very much for helping my wife and us get our driving plans driving to Los Angeles-Anaheim from here Houston Texas. There is really no particular reason why my wife though we should spend one night or two nights at Deming, I think like many women, that word Deming sounds good to her. Indeed, we shall & we are very flexible on this trip &change our overnight for Las Cruces, since you mentioned it to be a nicer town and interesting town. Have you stayed & can u recommend a $35-$50 place for us in Las Cruses, we are looking into being there by Nov. 1. Would you have a tel. number of this Super 8 or any recommendable place, that way we are confirmed and know the cost per night for all four of us?
A week ago, we had all sorts of stopping plans such as overnight at Grand Canyon since I see it's somehow on the way, however, since this trip is a relocation which means we shall be traveling with too many personal things, plus to mention 3 mountain bikes behind us, then we are now back on PLAN "A", making the stop over to give our vehicle (which is nearly ten years old...but working like new vehicle). So, perhaps we shall take our driving easy starting two night at Lackland Air Force base where we would be staying with friends on base, then on following a direction which we picked up from internet MAP-QUEST...total of 1550.52 miles.
Since my wife would not agree on our driving after sundown or at nights as she feels safer during bright day light, I am looking into studying our over nights in large towns and starting our driving as early as 6 in the morning and stop driving by around 7:30 in the evenings. Again, many thanks for all the very helpful tips and wish us all the safest best driving to California! Thank you Colins!

RE: One or Two Nights at Deming

by AlbuqRay

Colin makes some good recommendations about Las Cruces; however, if you do decide to stay in Deming, there is a Motel 6 at the I-10 exit east of town and several inexpensive motels with good parking lots on Pine Street (which runs parallel to I-10) on the west side of town. It does not sound like you are looking for side trips, but the excellent St. Clair Winery is on the east side of town (near the Motel 6) just west of the turn south to Rockhound State Park.

Hello Raymond,
Your so correct about Colin giving us excellent foresight and hindsights for our long drive to California ...and all those great suggestions. As explained to Colins my wife just like the way the word sounds "Deming" as sometimes woman go for sounds...she knows very little about Demings, however, Colins had explained also instead of Demings he suggested to spend the evening at Las Cruces which is interesting and we certainly agree to it all as it's possible and surely we are very flexible, well, it can also depend on the time we get there, as my wife is not in favour of our driving after dark. My wife is not into winery also she is focusing on us getting to Anaheim without rushing or stepping on the gas. Her new contract working for Disneyland starts second week of November and still needs to work on few city adjustments as well as visit friends in Los Angeles area whom we have not seened for many years!!!....
Thank you for your suggestion, we shall keep in mind and add this note on our travel pad, the Motel 6 at the I-10 which you said would be on the west side of town. Just wondering the description you wrote about the parking as our vehicle is packed with loads of personal belongings...not that they are very valuable, they are just personal belongings which can easily be seened through the glass windows of our vehicle...."you mentioned that this Motel 6 has a good parking, do you recall if it's enclosed or open parking ...Just wondering if the parking is enclosed. Thank You.

by AlbuqRay

Actually the Motel 6 is on the east side of Deming. I have not actually stayed there, so I cannot tell you about the parking. The inexpensive motels on the west side of Deming typically have plenty of parking. I have stayed at the one next to the Super 8 but cannot remember the name. Deming is small enough to get off at the Motel 6 exit and just drive through, see what you like and check the prices. I would be surprised if any of the motels were full.

Comments