El Rancho Hotel

Tags

Road Trip Budget Travel Business Travel
See Amenities
kymbanm's Profile Photo

Pink neon and movie stars ....

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 5, 2006

I had been hearing about this hotel for decades ........ a taste of old Hollywood, combined w/ Route 66 neon, and more than a touch of old western flair ..... these are some of the things I'd heard about El Rancho. None of these descriptors prepared me for the fun that awaited me upon my arrival.

I called from the road .. having spent a full day wandering the desert and nearby El Morro and Zuni ... I called on my cell as soon as I had service, and described where I would be entering town from. "Turn right on route 66, you'll see us a few blocks down the way .. you can't miss us." Though doubtful that such sketchy directions would be enough .... I was pleasantly surprised to easily spot my destination ...... the over use of pink neon had not been told to me in the past. The glow told me exactly where I was going!

Unique Quality: Having been built in 1937, this is an older hotel .... kitchsy w/ western decor and old Hollywood movie star pictures over most of the wall space. Old steer horns glow on the arches - unique lights to be sure! Stuffed animal heads greet you in the lobby, as do fluffy couches, and wireless internet users curled up in those fluffy couches. This place is a bit of local history - movie stars stayed here during local shoots of westerns and other cinematographic features. Weekly dances are still held here so that locals can have fun spinning each other around the dance floor. Each guest room is named after a star of the 30s thru 60s... many of whom left the autographed photos along the walls of the lobby and second floor balcony.

Though obviously older, I found our room to be comfy and the balcony was shared w/ neighboring rooms. Cable TV and hot water can be found many of the cheaper hotels these days .. but none of them can compare with the ambiance of this hotel :) The location also meant an easy return to I-40 when we checked out the next day ...... our check out time was noon.

Directions: If you are coming after dusk ... you can't miss the pink neon on the south side of Hwy 66 in Gallup :)

Nearby El Rancho Hotel

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Gallup Travel Forum

Need advice about Gallup, New Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Gallup and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Gallup hotel reviews