El Rancho Hotel

Travelocity Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Pink neon and movie stars ....

I had been hearing about this hotel for decades ........ a taste of old Hollywood, combined w/ Route 66 neon, and more than a touch of old western flair ..... these are some of the things I'd heard about El Rancho. None of these descriptors prepared me for the fun that awaited me upon my arrival.

I called from the road .. having spent a full day wandering the desert and nearby El Morro and Zuni ... I called on my cell as soon as I had service, and described where I would be entering town from. "Turn right on route 66, you'll see us a few blocks down the way .. you can't miss us." Though doubtful that such sketchy directions would be enough .... I was pleasantly surprised to easily spot my destination ...... the over use of pink neon had not been told to me in the past. The glow told me exactly where I was going!

Unique Quality: Having been built in 1937, this is an older hotel .... kitchsy w/ western decor and old Hollywood movie star pictures over most of the wall space. Old steer horns glow on the arches - unique lights to be sure! Stuffed animal heads greet you in the lobby, as do fluffy couches, and wireless internet users curled up in those fluffy couches. This place is a bit of local history - movie stars stayed here during local shoots of westerns and other cinematographic features. Weekly dances are still held here so that locals can have fun spinning each other around the dance floor. Each guest room is named after a star of the 30s thru 60s... many of whom left the autographed photos along the walls of the lobby and second floor balcony.

Though obviously older, I found our room to be comfy and the balcony was shared w/ neighboring rooms. Cable TV and hot water can be found many of the cheaper hotels these days .. but none of them can compare with the ambiance of this hotel :) The location also meant an easy return to I-40 when we checked out the next day ...... our check out time was noon.

Directions: If you are coming after dusk ... you can't miss the pink neon on the south side of Hwy 66 in Gallup :)

More about El Rancho Hotel

El Rancho Hotel in Gallup

by gonzo458 about El Rancho Hotel in Gallup

about 60-70 US dollars An unasuming historic hotel. Kind of looks like a Vegas hotel with the flashing lights in the front. Inside the lobby is like you walked into a movie set for a western ranch. Huge wooden staircase in the lobby with pictures of the movie stars who stayed there. In the days of the spaghetti westerns, this was the place to be. Each room has a name of a star on the door.

Sleep Where the Stars Slept

by AlbuqRay about El Rancho Hotel and Motel, Gallup, NM

Stay at the historic El Rancho Hotel just as many movie stars have done in the past, while they were making movies in the area. Their pictures adorn the walls of the lobby. The rooms are rustic but reasonably comfortable. Better allow at least an hour to browse around the historic lobby area.

El Rancho Hotel - Home of the Movie Stars

by Paulie_D

"Disclaimer"

Now, I'll be the first to confess that I didn't stay at this hotel, it was just a pitstop on my tour group's journey down Route 66.

We weren't given a great deal of information about it other than it was a favourite stop for the movie stars of Hollywood's heyday.

So the information given here is taken from the El Rancho website and their copyright is fully acknowledged.

However, all of the pictures were taken by yours truly.

"Some History"

The El Rancho Hotel was built by Joe Massaglia in 1937 for R.E. "Griff" Griffith. Originally, Griffith came to Gallup to direct a film.

He later returned to build the El Rancho Hotel. He also managed the local Chief Theater.

From the 1930's to 1950's, the hotel became a temporary home for many Hollywood stars. It also became a stopping point for tourists driving on old Route 66.

"Decoration"

The hotel is now protected by the National Historic Preservation Society. This historic hotel is continually cared for by Mr. Ortega who has made it his personal hobby since its purchase. The hotel is decorated and furnished in the Old West rustic style. It is constructed of original brick, ash tar stone, and huge wooden beams with a pitched wood shale roof.

"The Lobby"

The large portico overlooks the entrance and reflects the Southern Plantation style. Entering through the solid wood doors, one views the grandeur of the lobby. The floor is brick, inlaid in a basket weave pattern, and the light fixtures are made of stamped aluminum.

"Fireplace"

The stone fireplace cove is surrounded by handmade wooden staircases that spiral to the second floor balcony.

"Movie Stars"

The balcony encircles the lobby and displays original photos of the hotel and many autographed pictures of the Hollywood stars. Mr. Armand Ortega has recaptured the hotel's splendor and charm of yesterday.

"OK...That's enough"