1715 West US Highway 66, Gallup, New Mexico, 87301, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Gallup

Route 66 TownRoute 66 Town

One of many Indian Craft StoresOne of many Indian Craft Stores

A night in the American Bar. Gallup, New MexicoA night in the American Bar. Gallup, New Mexico

Eileen on her first balloon ride, Gallup NMEileen on her first balloon ride, Gallup NM

Travel Tips for Gallup

A BIT ABOUT GALLUP

by LoriPori

Called the "Indian Capital of the World, as GALLUP, NEW MEXICO is located in the Heart of Native Indian lands - Navajo - Zuni - Hopi - many other smaller tribes.
Gallup lies on Interstate 40 (Historic Route 66) 139 miles west of Albuquerque and 25 miles east of the Arizona border.
Gallup is the largest Indian Center in the Southwest and the ceremonial capital of Native America. The most numerous of Native Indians are the Navajo, who are widely recognized for their achievements in wool, with Navajo Rugs and Blankets being much sought after by Private collectors.
The Second major Native American settlement, Zuni Pueblo, is centered 35 miles south of Gallup. Zuni are best known for their intricate jewelry made from delicately cut turquoise set in sterling silver.
Another major tribe is the Hopi, known for their pottery and unique carved Kachinas Dolls.

Passing through at a Gallup

by kymbanm

Most folks can say they've passed BY Gallup ..... and that is my usual route. Zipping by on I-40 on my way somewhere else.

I have come here before .. to visit friends and their family. Locally, Gallup is the but of many jokes .. being so close to the reservation ... and the most urban town in the area .... there are problems w/ excessive alcohol consumption for many individuals who come into Gallup from the coutryside on paydays. The problem is so severe that on one visit many years ago I had to walk OVER the intoxicated folks passed out on the sidewalk to get from the car to the house we were staying at. Gallup and various public health agencies have been working hard to heal this troubled town ... and during this short stay I can report I already see a difference.

You're not going to get much more info on Gallup from me this time ..... I just stopped in for a bed and a couple of meals. As we wandered about town in the car on our way out of said town ... I saw a kitchsy town, many 'trading post' and pawnshop businesses, and was impressed w/ the cleanliness.

So for today, enjoy my single Gallup tip ... on the infamous El Rancho Hotel ;)

"and why I decided to slow down ....."

I spent the day on a wonderful drive and in exploration of Hwy 53 ..... I wandered the paths of El Morro and shopping in Zuni .. after such a day, driving the few hours home was just too much. So, Gallup ended up on my itinerary :)

Comments