New Mexico Hotels

Our Members Say

Corkins Lodge: Cozy mountain retreat

During November of 2012, I got the chance to stay at Corkins Lodge, a wooden retreat tucked into the wilderness of Chama Valley. This is definitely off the beaten path. My family and I enjoyed our stay here so much! It was one of the most coziest experiences, with an iron fireplace that kept the whole living area nice and warm. I felt so at peace here. If you're ever in Northern New Mexico, you must make it a point to stay here. There's even wi-fi, even though the signal is somewhat week. The grounds are stocked with little things like horseshoes, swings, a playground, a gamesroom (which looks like it's only open in the warmer months) and a pond that's privately stocked. It's a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, and we enjoyed ourselves and it was a great stay! Our cabin was over 400 bucks for 2 days, but it was worth it!

Each cabin is different. Some small, and some large. We stayed in the Penasco cabin, which was a 3-bedroom cabin complete with iron fireplace, hot shower with huge basins, good sized living area and comfortable beds. I came in late fall, but a gentle snowfall during the night provided a nice, cozy, warm feeling that it almost felt like a Thomas Kinkade painting. I felt so at home.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Fishing, Family Travel
  • Written November 18, 2012
Tip Photo

Penasco cabin, our haven in the woods

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

America's Best Value: Not the Best Choice in Clovis

This hotel had a few extras like a nice easy chair, small refrigerator, and a microwave; but the room was not that good and the people not that friendly. I would stay somewhere else next time. $49 in May 2012.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 8, 2012

America's Best Value

Super 8: Decent Overnight Stay in Ruidoso

This hotel had a few extras, like a small refrigerator, microwave, and a nice TV with cable. In addition, the breakfast was not just the usual continental breakfast but included some hot food. Nice mural in my room. This is pretty nice if you are just staying the night. For a longer stay you may want to stay in one of the resorts, especially if you came here to get married or for a romantic getaway. $54 as of May 2012.

Located on the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written June 8, 2012

Historic Plaza Hotel: Old Time Feel

Me and some buddies decided to try this place, since our plans at St. James in Cimarron didn't work this year. I heard about this hotel a long time ago, and since we couldn't go to St. James, why not stay at another place that is haunted, the Historic Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, New Mexico!! So I made the reservations and we took a rental car out to the quaint little town of Las Vegas. We checked in for an overnight stay. We got upgraded to a suite since our original room was above the saloon, which can get noisy from below. I was pleased with our room! Equipped with microwave, fridge, coffee maker and a writing desk! The beds were comfy, clean room and friendly service! The front desk GSA, Sean, gave us lots of info. I wanna stay for a while more next time! Since we stayed overnight on a weekend, it was 122 USD for a night. But that's good for a suite! I loved our stay. I wanna bring some more peeps back here for round 2!

The whole hotel was renoveated, remodeled and kept intact from it's original construction back in the late 1800's. It's retained it's original function as a hotel since that date. It faced destruction back in the 40's but was saved. The ghost of Byron T. supposedly haunts room 310 and the hotel. We didn't feel no presences, although my buddy Brock said that the door was open when he came in, and was sure it was closed! The room's walls were nice and cheerful, a light blue like the sky. A room like out of the Victorian era, but with modern amenities! The hotel is home to a saloon that had live music when we there. With some cool locals.

• Related to: Singles, Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written May 16, 2012

The Historic Plaza Hotel

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

Suenos Encantados B&B: Definitely Enchanted Dreams

Suenos encantados means "enchanted dreams" and the name definitely fits. It is a lovely, quiet location with wild elk bugling and coyotes yapping in the evening. The beautifully decorated, clean rooms are historic in style but have modern bathrooms, a microwave, and a small fridge. Many of the people who stay at the Suenos Encantados B&B go to Chaco Canyon National Park. It is ~77 miles and 1.5 hours to get there. Chaco is an amazing place and I spent a whole day touring the sites. See my "Legacy of a Lost Culture" VT tips under Chaco Culture National Historical Park. After surviving the 10 miles of washboard dirt road on the route into and out of Chaco, it was wonderful to watch the sunset at Suenos Encantados B&B. The next morning, it was raining a little, so I was worried about San Pablo Road but it turned out to be no problem. To see many more pictures, take a look the Suenos Encantados B&B album on my Shutterfly website for the Jujube Workshop and North Central New Mexico Road Trip that I took on 29 Sep - 4 Oct 2011. The Suenos Encantados B&B also has a Facebook site. Their "continental" breakfasts are actually quite substantial. The first one that I had included a breakfast bagel with egg, ham and cheese. I thought that was good but the next morning there was a breakfast burrito with eggs, chile, bacon and potatoes that was absolutely delicious!

The three La Casa Vieja rooms are located in what used to be the old San Pablo Military Fort and was subsequently the original homestead of the Cebada family. It dates back to the late 1800's. La Casa Vieja has three foot thick adobe walls and a nice "portal" (front porch). There is also a "capilla," which in Spanish means "chapel." Northern New Mexico's landscape saw many little chapels built by families who were long distances from a church. These chapels, from very tiny to some pretty big and grand, served the families' spiritual needs between visits from their priests. This old building was not originally a capilla. It was actually where they stored ammunition during the time La Casa Vieja was a small fort. La Capilla is authentically furnished and is worth the 10 minute drive from Espanola all on its own.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Road Trip, Historical Travel
  • Written October 8, 2011

La Casa Vieja (Old Fort) at Suenos Encantados B&B

• AlbuqRay profile photo AlbuqRay
  • Reviews: 1795

Stone House Lodge: A Place to Fish, Relax and Eat Well

After retiring, a friend from work bought the Stone House Lodge (SHL) on El Vado Lake. In Oct 2011, I decided to visit. There are five cabins, RV hookups, many campsites, four trailers, two apartments, and the lodge itself. I stayed in Cabin #1 which had a spectacular view of El Vado Lake. There was a fully equipped kitchen in the cabin and both gas and wood grills outside, but I mostly ate the excellent cooking in the SHL cafe. Don't miss the homemade cinnamon rolls! In their general store they rent boats, and sell fishing licenses and tackle. Gasoline and groceries are also available. There is also a playground in the camping area. To see many more pictures, take a look the SHL album on my Shutterfly website for the Jujube Workshop and North Central New Mexico Road Trip that I took on 29 Sep - 4 Oct 2011. See also my VT tips on Heron Lake State Park, which include El Vado Lake and the Rio Brazos. There is also a Youtube videoclip that describes the Stone House Lodge features.

It is really close to three fishing "holes": El Vado Lake, Heron Lake, and the Rio Brazos. Also, it is common to see deer and wild turkeys on the grounds.

• Related to: Fishing, Sailing and Boating, Camping
  • Written October 8, 2011

Stone House Lodge Cafe and General Store

St. James Hotel & Restaurant: A Supernatural Stay

This was a trip that sort of was a random trip me and some buddies from work decided upon. I have an interest in the supernatural and paranormal. This hotel, being one of the most haunted hotels in the U.S.A. by claim, naturally drew me and my pals to it. It was a beautiful week towards the end of April when we set out from Albuquerque. It took a little over 3 hours to reach St. James Hotel, located in the very sleepy and small town of Cimarron, New Mexico. You blink and you'll pass by the town. The same can be said for many towns along the way here. When we arrived, we immediately got all pumped and excited. We were thrilled when we walked into the elegant lobby, straight out of the glamour of the Wild West! Naturally, the renovation process was years ago to restore the property. It looked amazing! The pictures will speak for themselves. The hotel was built in the 1870's and you can feel the history everywhere, even in the creaks in the staircase. The hotel is split into two areas, the historic side and the modern side. We stayed in the historic, which is where you SHOULD stay during your time here. It adds to the ambience and the experience!! I was a bit sad when we left because already we built good memories there. We didn't feel nothing out of the ordinary or anything, mostly because we were a little tipsy towards the early morning. But that might not mean YOU might not see something! Some guests and staff have reported various ghost sightings over the years. I loved my stay here. Please make this a stopping point when you get to northern New Mexico.

In addition to being a supernatural hotspot, St. James offers up more than just your standard hotel experience. Everything about this place, from the old fashioned bathtubs (with up-to-date plumbing and fixtures) to the facade of the bar and the great home-cooked food, will offer you a unique experience. Make sure to stay in the historic side of the hotel, where famous guests like Wyatt Earp and Annie Oakley stayed! Me and my buddy stayed in Wyatt Earp's room. Room #11. There's even a little poker room upstairs on the historic side in case you wanna pretend your back in the days of the Old West. There's a really haunted room inhabited by the ghost of T.J. Wright, who was killed after winning the rights to the hotel in a poker game! It's padlocked, and I doubt management will let you in there. You can try!

• Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Historical Travel
  • Written May 12, 2011

The exterior of the St. James Hotel

• Florida999 profile photo Florida999
  • Reviews: 358

Carson National Forest: Free Campgrounds in Carson National Forest

We just pulled off the side of the road to camp in one of the many free campsites in the Carson National Forest, that is on the way to the Taos Ski area. We camped in a beautiful location next to a river and met a very nice retired lady from Florida that camped next to us. No facilities other than a porta potty. But, who needs them if you have a location like that!
If you are an outdoors type of person, and have all of the necessary camping equipment, this is a great place.

FREE, what more can I say!

• Related to: Camping, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 27, 2010

• Florida999 profile photo Florida999
  • Reviews: 358

Rio Bravo: Nice camground on the Rio Grande River

We camped there for a few days and enjoyed the location despite that it was sort of dusty. The campsite we had was next to the Rio Grande river and we went swimming in it several times ( be carefull, sort of strong current). The campground has pay showers ( $1.00 in quarters for 3 minutes) which is more than most other campgrounds in the area have, which is no showers at all....the campsites have individual picnic areas with roofs, which was nice if you are there when the sun is up and it is hot out. Inexpensive also at 7$ a night.

Good location for day trips.

• Related to: Camping, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written June 27, 2010

View from camping area

Econo Lodge: Decent Budget Hotel in Santa Fe

This was not a bad motel, I just don't remember anything to raise it above average. The breakfast was pretty good. Has free Wi-Fi. I will try someplace else next time I am in Santa Fe.

• Related to: Historical Travel, National/State Park

My Room

Oliver Lee Memorial State Park: Camp by the Sacremento Mountains

The campground in Oliver Lee Memorial State Park is located in a pretty area where the Tularosa Basin meets the Sacremento Mountains. There are 48 camping sites in the park. I have not stayed here just wanted to let you know it is available.

• Related to: National/State Park, Camping, Historical Travel

Campground

High Country Lodge: Nice Independant Motel in Magdalena

This is a nice independant motel, despite a rough start. The nice lady in the office gave me a room and I drove down to it and went inside. The bed was a mess, towels were on the floor and the toilet had not been flushed. I went back and told her the room was a mess and obviously the maid had not been in the room. She was mortified. She apologized profusely and gave me another room. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small but nice and clean. It had a few extras like a small refrigerator and a microwave. Free WiFi. One touch that really pleased me was they had a set of silverware, a saucer and a bowl for use in the microwave. I would definitely stop here again. The town is very nice too.

Do not come here expecting luxury or a modern look; but if you like friendly helpful people and don't mind a place made in the 60s, give this a try.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip

High Country Lodge

Super 8: Decent Budget Motel in Las Cruces

This Super 8 looks newer and nicer than the other one in Las Cruces on the outside. But inside it is much the same but with fewer extras (e.g. no microwave or refrigerator). It also doesn't have a very good restaurant/bar next door. Stay here if you need a cheap hotel near the university.

• Related to: National/State Park, Historical Travel, Family Travel

Super 8: Nice Budget Hotel in Alamogordo

This was a pretty nice hotel for a decent price. It had a small refrigerator, a microwave and free Wi-Fi. Nice restaurant next door. Sheriff's Department on the other side. Super Start Breakfast.

• Related to: National/State Park, Family Travel, Historical Travel

Leasburg Dam Camping Area: Camping at Leasburg Dam State Park

Leasburg Dam State Park has 31 developed camping sites available. I have not stayed here but wanted to let you know it is available.

Not much shade, I think I would rather stay at Caballo Lake or Percha Dam.

• Related to: Camping, Water Sports, National/State Park