SpringHill Suites Las Cruces

1611 Hickory Loop, Las Cruces, New Mexico, 88005, United States
Springhill Suites Las Cruces
Las Cruces Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Las Cruces

Toad at Natural History Museum, Las Cruces, NMToad at Natural History Museum, Las Cruces, NM

Honoring the Various CulturesHonoring the Various Cultures

La Mesilla de PostaLa Mesilla de Posta

Stephanie, Pauline and IStephanie, Pauline and I

VISITING LAS CRUCES THIS SPRING.......

by Rosie60

My husband and I are planning a trip to Las Cruces and the surrounding areas this spring. We currently reside in the northern part of Pa. Our visit is for a vacation and also to look over the area in thoughts of relocating there sometime in the next several years. I am somewhatdisappointed by some of the comments that I have read on this web site about the area from rich retirees moving to the area and real estate has inflated as a result. Also the temps go to 115? I live in a small town now, which we really like. I don't need all that "fluffy" night life stuff, did it all when we was young. Oh, also that if one is not mexican, you could feel out of place. We visited the northern part of new mexico 25 years ago, and at that time we really liked it, but it appears to be getting overcrowed there, too. We want quiet, healthy, warm and peaceful. Perhaps you all might have a better recommendation. We are average americans, husband retired, me still working. Would most likely rent a house or apartment till we get our bearings then consider purchasing a property. Pa has high taxes which is killling us. ANy help is appreciated. Rosie

RE: RE: VISITING LAS CRUCES THIS SPRING.......

by AlbuqRay

Rosie,

I have not lived in Las Cruces for more than 20 years and it has grown a lot since then; however, I did live there for 22 years. I am not sure Spring is the best time to go because that is when Las Cruces has seasonal high winds for a few weeks. You would really be convinced to live there if you visited in the Fall or Winter. Even if the price of real estate has gone up, I think you will find it to be much more reasonable than many parts of the USA. You will also enjoy the tri-cultural environment; it brings many benefits. I never felt out of place and I would be very surprised if you did.

As far as 115 F, I don't know where that came from. The all-time record high is 107-108 F, according to the graph on wunderground.com and that is my recollection too. Even though it is hot in the summer, the humidity is low and it is comfortable in the shade. The elevation (~3900 ft) allows the heat to radiate and it almost always cools off at night (there are some exceptions in the more humid July "rainy" season).

If you need something from the "big city," it is just a 45-60 minute drive to El Paso / Juarez; however, Las Cruces is now big enough to meet almost everyone's needs. It is a university town, so Las Cruces has more than its share of cultural and entertainment opportunities. You might consider the Telshore area in which to retire. It is close to the university, golf course, hospital and a shopping mall. The biggest change for you might be the lack of green foilage but you could live in the valley if you like. Good luck!

Travel Tips for Las Cruces

The Saint of Mesilla - San Albino

by jumpingnorman

The Basilica is named after San Albino, aka St Aubin, who was born in 469 from a noble family in Vannes, Brittany, France.

He became an abbot at 35 and then, Bishop of Angers in 529. His grave became a popular pilgrimage destination because of the many miracles which included healing of the sick and restoration of the sight of the blind.

San Albino also ransomed slaves who were carried off by barbarians or pirates. He died in 549 and his Feast Day is March 1.

Genny's Coffeehouse or Your Last Chance to Be a Be

by Weny

Before Starbucks was even a thought there was Genny's. Genny's was a coffee house in the truest 1960's sense of the word. It was a peaceful retreat in a sea of frat parties, binge drinking and all night study sessions.
Genny's had it all. Coffee from all over the world. Pastries, cakes and muffins baked right on the premises. Entertainment in the form of flamenco guitarists and board games. One could kill a lot of time at Genny's. Not to mention fall into time warp. I always have expected Patty Duke or an unknown, young Bob Dylan to walk through the door at any time. Genny's in a word was c-o-o-l.

Flickenger Theater

by Basaic

Just a short block or two from Historic New York Street is the Flickenger Theater. It is the home of the New Voice Theater, the Alamogordo Music Theater and the Community Tail Gate Concerts. If you find yourself in need of an injection of culture while cruising through southwest New Mexico, stop by.

The place where I grew up

by JKMathieson

"The Mesilla Valley"

Las Cruces is in the Mesilla Valley. I grew up right on the Rio Grande river and used to ride my horses in the river when it was low. I grew up with a love of green chile from the Hatch Valley. There is nothing like it in the world and as a result, I am a New Mexican food snob. The chile is everything. A good cookbook to get you acquainted would be Flor's Kitchen. Each year I go visit my mother and get my yearly supply of green chile. It sits in my freezer and I savor it throughout the year.

Comments