Plaza Hotel Las Vegas

toonsarah's Profile Photo

Yet more history

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2012

If like us you prefer to stay near the centre of any town you visit, able to walk to the restaurants and bars, there is really only one choice in Las Vegas NM, and that is the historic Plaza Hotel. It dominates the north-west corner of the town’s large plaza, and its sensitively restored Victorian public spaces and rooms are a delight to visit – the more so because the less fashionable nature of Las Vegas as a destination makes them very affordable when compared to pricey Santa Fe or Taos.

The main hotel building was built and opened in 1882. For a while it was the place to stay, but soon after it was built the focus of the town moved a mile to the west, away from the original Spanish colonial plaza to the area around the new railway station. Eventually the hotel declined, as did the large store next door, Charles Ilfield’s “Great Emporium”. The hotel was restored in 1882, and in 2009 the owners bought up the neighbouring emporium and converted it too into part of the hotel, linked internally. Our room was in this part, but the sympathetic conversion made it hard to see the difference apart from the change in floor levels of the corridor as you move between one part and the other.

The room itself was very large, with some lovely old antique furniture. We had two queen beds and a very good and well-equipped bathroom. The room cost $79 plus tax, which included a hot breakfast (chosen from a menu of about half a dozen options, all cooked to order rather than from a buffet – the best hotel breakfast of our trip by far).

Unique Quality: While we were happy enough with our room, it was the public rooms of the Plaza that really made it such a great place to stay for us. The lobby is gorgeous, as I hope you can see from my second photo, and the restaurant and bar provided us with a truly excellent evening, as described in my Restaurant and Nightlife tips.

+++Next tip!+++

Directions: There is a good map and clear driving directions on the hotel’s website. You can park anywhere on the Plaza – we were lucky enough to secure a spot right outside the hotel

bocmaxima's Profile Photo

nice atmosphere

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 20, 2006

I love the historic atmosphere of this place, and still think it the best place in town to stay.
Las Vegas is a GORGEOUS town, and this hotel truly compliments what Las Vegas has to offer.
The room ran about $70 and was fairly large. My window faced the north looking over a small side street. The only thing that bothered me about the room was that there was what appeared to be a blood stain on the bathroom floor. I'm not overly freaked out by things like that, but it did stick with me.
There is wireless available with a passcode, but the passcode was so complex that the front desk agent got it wrong twice before it finally worked for me.
There is a busy bar/restaurant adjacent to the large lobby.
Unfortunately, I stayed here at the end of a large July 4th celebration that goes on on the plaza in Las Vegas. Parking was impossible when I arrived, and staff was pretty unfriendly. I attributed this to them having had to deal with the crowds for the whole weekend.
There really isn't much going on in the plaza at night. There is a dive-ish bar, but no restaurants beside the one in the hotel. Much of it is antiques and crafts only open during the day.
Overall, I didn't think that there was anything spectacular about this place that made it worth the $10-20 extra. Unless you're really adamant about staying at a historic hotel, you may be better off at one of the chain places on Grand Avenue.

Unique Quality: Historic atmosphere, plaza location, free wireless internet w/ passcode

Directions: On the northwest side of the plaza in West (Old) Las Vegas

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Las Vegas Travel Forum

Need advice about Las Vegas, New Mexico? Visit the Travel Forum for Las Vegas and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Las Vegas hotel reviews