287 Carrizo Canyon Rd, Mescalero, NM, 88340-0269
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

More about Inn Of The Mountain Gods Resort & Casino

UMMMM, I'm not sure what to say!

by TripAdvisor Member summerh

I went to the Inn of the Mountain Gods when I was 13. As not to disclose my age I'll just say that that was a LONG time ago. I was excited about going until I read the other reviews. I always use Tripadvisor and have yet to read reviews that were too far off, so I was a little nervous. We had already booked our vacation, so we decided to just to try it out and get an opinion for ourselves. When we pulled up I was "wowed" by the beauty of the facility. Everything is so plush and green and the landscaping was gorgeous. It was raining and we pulled up to valet our car, as did several other cars, but no one came out to valet any of the cars, so after waiting about 15 minutes, we decided to park ourselves and found that it was really easy to park in the garage and take the elevator up, right to the lobby floor. The lobby was beautiful and the lake view was stunning. It was 3:30PM and we went to the front desk. We were quickly acknowledged by the desk staff. They told us they were sorry, that there were no rooms clean and that we should come back in about an hour. We went down to the buffet to eat. It was late afternoon, and needless to say for the price, the value of the food was not good at all. We found very few things that looked edible, but managed to get full anyways. That took about an hour and we went back to the front desk, only to be told that our room was still not ready and we should check back in about 1-1:30 hours. We toured the facility and finally went back at 6pm and they had our room ready. Keep in mind we booked a non-smoking room. We went to our room and it was on the bottom floor and when we walked in we smelled a faint smell of smoke, but we couldn't tell if it was in our clothes from the casino visit or if it was in the room itself. After looking around the room, I found several ash trays and realized that we did in fact get put in a smoking room. We stayed there without complaint because we could not take any more waiting. We had already had a 6.5 hour drive and then a 2.5 hour wait for this room, so waiting was not an option. As a previous guest stated earlier, the tubs were VERY small and the shower heads were corroded, but there was hot water so that was a plus! The carpets were very stained as well. But, we were there for our anniversary, so we just wanted to look past that and have a nice relaxing weekend. The front desk staff was very attentive to our needs. As we had such a long wait for our room to be ready, we checked our luggage with the bellman. The lady at the front desk who checked us in told us she would send the luggage right up and then called back to let us know that it would be a bit before they brought it because all of the bellman were busy with the guests at the front desk. That was really courteous and we appreciated it! The view from our deck was wonderful. It was right on the lake and it was amazing! I guess the complaints from other guests about the bird droppings on the windows were addressed, because the windows were very clean. We did dine at Wendell's the following night and the service was outstanding and the food was too! We LOVED it! We were disappointed because we had planned a horseback riding tour and when we went to the stables we were told the trails were too wet. I was glad that they actually cared about the safety instead of the money. Anyways, I know it sounds all bad from the above, but we would return, just because of the grounds, the golf course and Wendells. When asked for our feedback we did complain about the price of the rooms vs. the quality. I know that you pay for much more than just the room, but at the price we paid for the room, it should have been immaculant and it wasn't.

Like Others...Not Sure What To Say....

by TripAdvisor Member MIkeyG1965

Upon arriving, things look wonderful. Nice view and nicely decorated.

Our room overlooked the lake and that was nice. Bed were comfortable and everything was clean.

Staff was pleasant.

Okay....here are the negatives....

...breakfast buffet....just don't do it. Nothing special and at that price, I expected a whole lot more.

..Wendall's Restraunt....go into Ruidoso. Food was ho-hum.

My problem is that they tout themselves as a AAA Diamond Hotel, but not sure why. Yes...it was a nice place, but nothing overly special.

In future if I go to Ruidoso again, I will most likely stay at Holiday Inn Express and save my money.

Going DOWN HILL!

by TripAdvisor Member nortmama

They must be having problems...the last two stays have NOT been up to the quality one would expect from a Resort or First Class Hotel.
They failed to change linens even after 2 nights, they failed to make up room till 7:30 pm and a call to the front desk. We requested a wake up call at the front desk and by phone from the room...NEVER got a wake up call...The lunch buffet ,the food was barely warm and dried out...The bathroom floor needs to be steamed cleaned...The greeting on the phone was for past guest. Casino, you could die of thirst...during the day they are down to one hostess serving drinks, and no longer place water for you to pick up. It was over 3 hours before we could get a drink!!!! I seriously doubt we will ever stay here again. What a shame that such a nice property is Going Down Hill !!! There are several nice hotels in town, and much less expensive.

Incredible Views All Around

by TripAdvisor Member Kegowhisky

My adult son (who lives two/three hours from this property) and I stayed here for two days over Christmas. Our experience brought it home to me that everyone's individual experience in a hotel can vary tremendously. Unlike many others on this site, we had a great stay and found that everything exceeded expectations. Valet parking was complimentary, check-in went well and the room was available when we checked in - well before check in time. I'm no expert, but I thought this property's four diamond rating was justified by all we experienced.

The room itself was very large, had excellent lake and mountain views along with a back patio, and smelled fine even though it was "smoking". Beds were comfortable, television was big enough to watch the football games (aways a plus!), bathroom was large and well-appointed, and bathrobes were in the room which are a nice touch. If there was a complaint, it was that we were in room 199, which was the furthest hike from the front desk and casino - but hey - some room has to be the furthest.

The buffet was adequate, the Big Hunt bar was acceptable although expectedly raucous. The casino is one of the smallest I've experienced, but I never had a problem finding a machine or table game. The "real find" for me at this property was the downstairs bar. It sits by some of the best lake and mountain views that I've seen, and has sumptuous sitting chairs. It's also quiet, refined, and is a great place to "get away from it all" and enjoy a quiet drink and cigar.

In summary, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and my son is already planning a return in the near future.

Wonderful stay at Inn of the Mountain Gods

by TripAdvisor Member big_D123

Stayed at the Inn over Christmas while visiting family in Ruidoso. After reading some of the reviews, I was hesitant about the hotel. I cannot agree with ANY of the negative reviews. Everything was very nice, starting from the prompt valet and bell hopp to the friendly front desk, friendly restaurant personnel and immaculate maid service. A wonderful hotel surrounded by wonderful scenery. After playing some at their casino, they even comped me parts of my room cost. I have stayed at the former Hawthorn Inn in Ruidoso and the Inn is twice as good and about the same price. Don't believe the bad reviews, check it out for yourself.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member saracHouston

The winter weekend special allowed us to stay for a night for $99, which turned out to be a great value. The room was large and nicely decorated. View kinda lame, but I know you get what you pay for. I was disappointed that the robes didn't seem to be cleaned; a previous guests' balled up, dirty socks were in the pocket.

Had breakfast in the room, great prices. Loved the view from the lobby. Had dinner at Wendell's, which, though wildly overpriced, was pretty good food. Filet mignon melted in the mouth, as it should, and my chicken dish was nicely flavored.

If you can get the special price, go for it. We weren't there to gamble, but the casino was easy enough to avoid. Though some areas of the hotel smell of cigarette smoke, our room had no hint of it.

Need Atitude Adjustment

by TripAdvisor Member AJSoma

We go here several times a year, primarily to play poker. The casino seems well runs and the employees are friendly.
The hotel and restaurants are another matter. On one occasion we waited at the of the line in the buffet for about 30 minutes while tribal members strolled in and were seated ahead of us without paying. When I complained I was told in a rather snotty way that it was tribal elder day. There was nothing elder about most the people who walked in. Some were young people with tots in tow.
The people at the hotel desk are just as bad. These folks have no idea who is paying their wages.

Not Quite a Resort Yet

by TripAdvisor Member tom79760

I stayed in a luxury king room at Inn of Mountain Gods in April/2007. The trip was less than great. The people in the casino are very rude and arrogant. You should remember that this "resort" is on Indian land and has no governing body to watch the gaming. I could not get my room cleaned at all on Friday after repeated calls to the front desk. I would not return until this place matures. I was in a luxury room not a cheap weekend special. The buffet is okay, but you cannot depend on when it is open.

Absolutely deserving of 4 diamonds

by TripAdvisor Member lebelgo

I'm really surprised by the number of mediocre reviews. Although I stay at 3*'s more often than 4*'s, I've stayed at many 4* hotels, and
this one certainly measures up. Just walking into the place, one is greeted by ample beautiful native artwork. There's an enormous window
opening up to the lobby and lounge which showcases a great view on the lake and mountains. The grand staircase has a dancing fountain with color changes running continuously. It's not the Bellagio in Vegas, but beautiful nevertheless. I paid for a room with a view, and was accommodated with a room on the top (6th) floor upon request.
The room was very ample in size, with a large work desk and multiple phones with a display saying "Welcome, Mr. Soandso." The room also had a fair-sized, clean balcony with a view almost as good as the lobby's (some was blocked due to the architecture, though). The bathroom was also large, and there was a coffeemaker with multiple coffees and teas to choose from.

There was a nice, large indoor pool, as well as a large hot tub with a wide waterfall. There was also plenty of workout equipment, all well-maintained. The casino had a high ceiling and wasn't too smoky. We also had a great experience at Wendell's Restaurant, for which I wrote a separate review.

Nothing's ever perfect, but my complaints were minor. The sound insulation could be better. The water pressure wasn't the greatest. Also, it was a little weird that there was only one soap provided instead of one for the sink and one for the bath, but I'm sure I would have been given another soap if I had asked (the toiletries were actually of high quality).

Although I can't say things were perfect, the hotel really came off to me as beautiful and luxurious--quite unexpected. I didn't have the highest expectations from the reviews here, but I felt it was worth $119 including breakfast for two since it did, after all, have 4-Diamonds from AAA. When I saw the place for myself, however, I was definitely glad I wasn't put off by some of the poor reviews.

HUGE disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member Abqnative

We booked the superior room ($199) for two nights. The room was supposed to have a nice view for the extra bucks. Our room had a view alright, it was overlooking the dozen or so porta-potties located just to the right of the barbecue restaurant. The room we were given was a smoking room, which we could not deal with due to asthma. Unfortunately there is no way to request a non-smoking room online. They offered us a non-smoking room for the second night, but we left anyway as we felt that the hotel was not interested in treating us like valued guests, regardless of the $200/night price tag, or the fact that we would have gambled in the casino.

The hotel offered us an ozone machine, but would not budge on the rate, and did not offer us any other recompense, even though the room was completely unsatisfactory, and in fact detrimental to our health condition. This ultimately led to our immediate departure from the hotel as the hotel management stated they did not have any non-smoking rooms available.

The hotel lobby is nice, but the lake appears much smaller in person than it does online. The corridors were quite dirty, and the room we were given was a little "tired". Having stayed in hotels that range from budget accommodation, to 5-star hotels in London and New York, we can safely say that this is the worst hotel we have been in for the price, and ranks in the bottom 3 or 4 ever stayed in regardless of price.

After leaving the resort, we drove to the Ramada and booked a suite for $144/night and were given a perfectly nice room that was clean, tidy, had a fridge/microwave etc, and smelled clean. Plus, not a porta-potty in sight.

Tip: if you intend to stay at the Inn of the Mountain Gods, be aware that your requests are on a first-come first-served basis. If you get there early, maybe you will have better luck.

Comments