Mesilla Hotels

Our Members Say

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3604

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Meson de Mesilla: Reasonable choice – but not as good as it thinks

We had hoped to be able to stay in one of the few bed and breakfast places in the heart of old Mesilla, but one was fully booked by the time we came to make arrangements and the other very expensive. The Meson de Mesilla seemed from my research to be the next best option, and I think that proved to be the case. It is a smallish hotel within walking distance of the Plaza, meaning that we could leave the car behind and both enjoy a few drinks on our final evening. It would be churlish to complain about the comfortable stay we had here, were it not for the exaggerated claims made by the hotel itself on its website. This is not a “boutique hotel”, nor is it any sort of bed and breakfast, let alone the “finest Bed and Breakfast in Mesilla” – breakfast is not even included in the room rates. What it is, in fact, is simply a mid-range mid-priced hotel with some nice design features in its rather small bedrooms.

I had read some reviews that referred to the smallness of the rooms, and as it was our last night and I knew we would want to unpack and repack, difficult in a small space, I chose to pay extra for the middle of the three room options, the Veranda Queen room. But it was still definitely on the small side for the $122 we paid (including taxes). The queen bed was very comfortable, though bizarrely high from the floor (it might not suit some disabled people, although others would find it particularly easy to get into). The bathroom was stylish and had lovely thick towels, but there were few toiletries provided, such as one would have expected from a real boutique hotel. We had a small TV, but no fridge or mini-bar.

The hotel has a restaurant which gets good reviews, and the menu looked promising though pricey, but we didn’t want to eat in a hotel on our last evening and indeed had chosen the hotel for its proximity to other good eating options. We also chose not to have breakfast here as I’d spotted a reference in our Moon Handbook to the great coffee to be had at a nearby coffee bar. So the greatest plus point for us was location, and at about ten minutes’ walk from the Plaza this is as good as you can get if you can’t (or prefer not to) stay in a bed and breakfast.

+++Next tip!+++