Apache Village

Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Apache Village

by lashr1999

Ruidoso, New Mexico is between the Rocky Mountains of southern New Mexico. Siera Blanca and the New Mexico ski resort stands above the village of Ruidoso.Ruidoso is great for outdoor activities such as camping, hiking and bicycling in the Lincoln National Forest.

by HotelMan

"Beautiful Mountain Setting in Southern NM"

The town of Ruidoso is still a fairly well-kept secret. I've spent many summers there, and not much has changed over the years. Don't misinterpret my comment, though. This is a good thing!

Several well-known Hollywood figures (who shall remain nameless) have frequented Ruidoso for decades. A few of them own prime real estate there, in fact.

The mountainous setting, with its crisp, clean air is refreshing...invigorating, in fact. It's a lovely place to visit during hot summer months.

Skiing (snow, of course) is great here. The Apache Nation owns & operates most of the ski venues. "Ski Apache" is wonderful.

Ruidoso - New Mexico

by GIDEONMORLEY

"Ruidoso - Billy the Kid Country"

Claire and I stayed at this great place during a last trip to the USA in September 2007.

I only found this town by accident on Virtual Tourist. Some guy said there are 3 things to do in Roswell 1. Jenny bottomless lake, 2. Roswell museum and Ruidoso.

Well thanks to the excellent information available from http://www.ruidoso.net/, I managed to find a place that rented out condos on a golf course next to a lake. We stayed at Ruidoso for 5 nights. It is an excellent location to visit the county's great attractions like White sands and, Lincoln - last stand of Billy the Kid. This area is also great for walking, cycling, horse riding and skiing.

Fortunately the weekend we arrived at Ruidoso coincided with the start of the Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally!! What a lot of bikes!!! And being a biker myself, it was great to see so many bikers having a great time.

I think we are the only Brits who have found this wonderful town!
I highly recommend a visit to this great place, which reminded us of Carmel and Bisbee.

P.S Jenny bottomless lake was worth the drive, a very serene place - nice.
And of course, you have to visit the International UFO Museum and Research Centre in Roswell.

"Carlsbad"

On the way back from Ruidoso, we stayed overnight at Carlsbad. The drive from Ruidso did not take that long so we had time to visit the famous Carlsbad caves. WOW, I will say that again WOW!!! Makes Wookey hole caves in England look like a tiny crack in the ground!

Carlsbad caves are HUGE, the Big Room is 8.2 acres, that is 4 soccer pitches!
And watching the bats was really impressive despite some tourists not understanding the word "silence"!

This is a must visit if you are in New Mexico.

"Albuquerque"

We stayed at Albuquerque for one night on the way down to Ruidoso and Roswell. Sandia Peak Tramway is a must visit. If you don't like heights - close your eyes!

Once up on top of the mountain there are many walks to do. We ran out of time, otherwise we would have walked back down the mountain. Instead we had dinner at the Sandiago’s Mexican Grill, which was excellent. If you want to eat at the top of the mountain, you will need to book early as there were a lot of people queuing at the bottom waiting to go up.

Obviously, one afternoon and night did not do this area justice and I daresay we will go back to Albuquerque. Perhaps next time we will get to see the great balloons!

Ruidoso and the Cabin Experience

by chuckduncan

"Cabins are the best lodging choice"

Traveling finds us usually staying at motels or on occasion hotels, however, there is one place still around that offers the experience of cabin living. Ruidoso has many lodging venues including a four star casino hotel, but the most popular choice for those who want to really enjoy the mountains and the forests are cabins. In Ruidoso cabins are available for couples on their honeymoon, small families getting away for some skiing or large families wanting to share Christmas time together. This is the charm of the mountain village of Ruidoso. Still New Mexico's best kept secret with year round activities including horse racing, casinos, skiing, theater, golf and outdoor activities Ruidoso has something grand for everyone. We encourage anyone who wishes to see New Mexico from a different perspective to make a trip to the marvelous Ruidoso area. Located in south central NM it is a real gem. Search Ruidoso New Mexico and you will find many options for your stay. We enjoyed it so much we m oved here!

Ruidoso Cabins?

by Lorene4

We are planning a family vacation this summer to Ruidoso. I am overwhelmed by the number of cabins to stay in. Can anyone recommend some to me?

Thanks!

Re: Ruidoso Cabins?

by HawaiiGuy

Now if you want to step up from cabins -- and I mean step WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up -- stay at "Inn of the Mountain Gods" if you can afford it! That is some pretty country...

Enjoy!

Re: Re: Ruidoso Cabins?

by jfslenes

I am no Ruidoso expert but believe the Inn of the Mtn Gods is a goner while they work towards a much larger casino and hotel. Check with the Chamber of Commerce. There are tons of cabins if you want Ruidoso.

May I invite you to Taos. Much history, many galleries, several museums, and lots of mountains plus the Rio Grande Gorge. Our Casino is smoke free. Take a peek at my website for possible lodging and links to many other Taos area activities.

by LilacLily

For anyone living in that area. Is this an area where you can make a living, or is it mainly a tourist area?

How about housing prices? Any other suggestions for New Mexico for a middle age couple that still has to work but likes mountains and beautiful scenery?

Thanks for the info!

((¸¸.·Lilac Lily .·´¨¨))
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

"Suburbia- where they cut down trees and name streets after them."

Re: Ruidoso, New Mexico

by Nana87106

Ruidoso is popular for tourists, but it's very liveable as well. I haven't bought a house there, but I know they're affordable for working people. My sister's in-laws lived there when the dad worked for the Forest Service, mom was a homemaker I believe, and they had a nice little house in the mountains.

For affordable mountain towns, also look at Cloudcroft, which is near Ruidoso, and Silver City which is in the southwest part of New Mexico. There are also some nice villages near Silver City to the north that should be affordable to you.

Comments