Casa Pueblo

138 Park Ave, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87501, United States
Worldmark Resort Santa Fe
Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com Booking.com

More about Santa Fe

Plaza in Santa Fe and the Governors PalacePlaza in Santa Fe and the Governors Palace

Jackalope, Santa FeJackalope, Santa Fe

N.M. Museum of ArtN.M. Museum of Art

The Loretto staircase before it had railings, NMThe Loretto staircase before it had railings, NM

Off the beaten path

by jamccann

We will be in Santa Fe July 22 to 29, 2006. Does anyone know any secrets that only the locals know. We live in Victoria BC and I'm always sending people to places that aren't in the guide books.

by kymbanm

Unfortunately, I don't know Santa Fe well enough to help you much ....... if you can add a spa day, Ten Thousand waves is wonderful! AND, if you are driving, take the 'Turquoise Trail' into the town of Madrid for quirky, sort of hippie-ish fun.

Thats my limit for now :) Hope it helps,
Kymba

by prometheus

The Randal Davies Audubon center at the end of upper Canyon Road is very nice. There is a 1 mile nature walk and the grounds of the artist's home is very picturesque. You may see landscape painters there. There is a visitors center too.
Don't miss Shidoni foundary. Call them to see when they will be doing a bronze pour. Noon on Saturday was usual.
Take in the open air Santa Fe Opera if you can. go to their web site for schedule and tickets. The best seats tend to sell out a few months beforehand.

by queencreekfreak

One secret that I can share is, if you are buying jewelry the shops are most expensive, the Native American street vendors on the square are less expensive and the jewelry at the Santa Fe Flea market is the best price by far.

by Franagain

We locals don't tell our secrets! We told secrets in 1970 and look what happened... Santa Fe looks like Walt Disney designed it.

On a friendlier note, what are your interests? We have some very good (and some very bad) art here, in museums and galleries. We also have some excellent restaurants. The outlying pueblos are interesting to some. Rancho de las Golindrinas (in La Cienega, about 6 miles south of town) is fabulous. Take a moonlight horseback ride at the Broken Saddle. Take a river raft trip from Taos on the Rio Grande. There's usually good music somewhere. (July 26-29 is too short a visit.)

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by queencreekfreak

Happy New Year to you from the Phoenix area. I've had guests in town for a week and have been trying to show them some fun and interesting places here. I need to set up a few new pages about our area, especially Queen Creek and Apache Junction. I love photography and this is a good place for it when I can find the time. We have good and bad art around here also but the variety makes it unique. I love flea markets. Albuquerque and Santa Fe have two of my favorite markets. I can't help but give away the local secrets. I just hope more people share their travel experiences. This is why I love Virtual Tourist. It's much better than touched up brochures.

RE: RE: Off the beaten path

by kymbanm

All Hail VT!!!

Travel Tips for Santa Fe

To truly enjoy Santa Fe, one...

by emmalola

To truly enjoy Santa Fe, one must let go of their schedule, put away the palm pilot, stash the cell phone, and let their hair down. Once in this new, blissful, unreachable state, one can dig in and become everything Santa Fe has to offer. But don't forget your VISA card. My fondest memories of Santa Fe are the long afternoons spent sitting on the Plaza, enjoying the tourist flow and soaking up the culture of capitalism. mmmm.

Zozobra

by 505

On the 7th of September every year is the fiestas. If you want to see locals and the true Santa Fe Culture check out this event. It has been tradition for decades and the town is probably at its hieght for excitment. The locals will be out, the bars will be crazy and the people will be out of control. If you want to see true Santa Fe come for the 3 days of fiestas.

Organic New Mexico Wheat makes Delicious Nativo Br

by uaamom

Cloud Cliff Bakery & Restaurant
Excellent bakery and restaurant that is way ahead of the crowd for sustainability.
Sponsors stimulating talks and art events. Hidden away on Second Street, where many good things are emerging.
Some of the staff and managemnt have a bit of "attitude" but it's worth letting it slide.

Largest Volcano Caldera in the US

by painterdave

North from Santa Fe, towards Bandelier and Los Alamos you can travel into the Jewez Mountains. Less than 15 minutes past Bandelier you will see the Volcano Caldera described below.
In the summer you can look for obsidian along the road way of the volcano. In the winter, you will find snow as pictured below.
This volcano erupted one million years ago with the force of 45 times Mount St. Helens. This will give you an idea of the strength of this blast.
I recommend seeing both Bandelier and this volcano. It takes the better part of a day, but is a good break from the galleries and tourist areas of Santa Fe.

I Loved This Gallery!

by VeronicaG about Waxlander Gallery and Sculpture Garden

As we explored Canyon Road, this gallery's sculpture garden drifted past the window. "STOP!" I called out. Our friend (and driver) applied the brakes and I dashed out of the back seat and into the walkway of Waxlander Galleries.

These kinetic wind sculptures caught my eye and I just had to see them up close! The sculptures were in three different sizes and in a multitude of colors. The wind gently coaxed some to move in soft undulating movements, while others spun around uniformly.

Eventually, my husband joined me because I couldn't draw myself away. We inquired as to the prices and were told it would take only three weeks to create one of the smaller wind sculptures.

Waxlander Gallery had contemporary oil paintings and pastels (I saw a striking piece in this medium, too!) Ask for Nancy, she was soooo informative! Kinetic Wind Sculptures, a Painting or a Nice Pastel These are an investment--don't ask me the price!

Comments