Casa del Toro

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Casa del Toro

Convenient location, Wonderful Place

by TripAdvisor Member explorer723

This was really a wonderful place. My friend and I stayed in one of their 2 bedroom cassitas and it was clean, warm, and cozy. The real fireplace, all ready to light was a wonderful touch. After being on the road for several days and then an evening out in Santa Fe, this was the perfect place to go back to and just relax.

From the time we arrived until the time we left, the entire staff (owner, manager, houskeeper, maintenance guys etc) were extremely helpful, courteous and acommodating.

Breakfast was wonderful. Everything was delicious and served hot. I especially enjoyed the homemade granola.

On a final note, I would like to say I am an inn owner myself and have travelled to many b&b's over the years. I definitely look at places with a different eye than the average traveller and can honestly say this was one of the most pleasant stays I've had at a B&B.

Nice fireplace but no firewood!

by TripAdvisor Member Cisco1WestVirginia

I stayed at this bed and breakfast in January 2007 while attending a medical conference held at the Eldorado Hotel. the B and B was fine, in spite of the very cold and icey conditions on the streets of Santa Fe! The fireplace was there..but there was absolutely no chopped firewood available! Furthermore, there was no hatchet provided with which to chop the assorted bunch of rather big branches located behind the room in which I was staying. I used my hands and feet to break up a few of the smaller pieces of wood.
-The Internet connection did not work most of the time, and I had no contact with my fellow academic types.
-Other than that ..the place was fine. Just bring your own hatchet and don't go to Santa Fe in January. The town was absolutely dead! Most of the restaurants closed early, and the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum was closed.
Dr. Doug Shearer/West Virginia

pleasant B and B

by TripAdvisor Member longwell

I stayed at the Casa del Toro in October and found the place to be quite enjoyable. I had a cozy casita, clean, neat and with all kitchen and living room amenities, along with a queen size bed. The hardwood floors were handsome and the ceramic design around the sinks and bathroom was lovely. In the morning the breakfast was fresh muffins, juice and omelettes served in the sunny dining room across from my casita.
The B and B is also located five minutes away from the downtown, so you can leave your car and walk easily.

Just what we were looking for!

by TripAdvisor Member emelyn

Just walking in the door to our unit we knew we had made the right choice! We had such a wonderful QUIET stay. Our unit was spacious, clean, very comfortable and had everything we needed.
This property is perfect for us because we're not looking for over the top service. We prefer to be left alone to enjoy our privacy. And what a steal compared to other Santa Fe accommodations! This is one property we'll visit year after year!

Thank you!

was far and away the worst experience of my travel life

by TripAdvisor Member LeBriard

This hotel should be put out of business, this was far and away the worst experience of my travel life. The management is completely nuts: Abusive, screaming "get out, get out" if you have a question. I actually fled after two days of a four day stay--no, I did not get a refund from them--and spent most of my weekend in tears at the Santa Fe Convention and Visitors Bureau while those people tried to find me a room. I saw two other people have similar experiences while I was there.

Avoid at all costs!

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member PaxTerra

On the website it said check-in was 3-5pm, so we arrived at 3 at the address on McKenzie and tried to find a sign for the property. What we found instead was a real estate "For Sale" sign--it did not bode well. Around the side it said "Innkeeper" and we saw a basket with some envelopes, but none addressed to us. We waited around to see if someone would arrive, but no one did. We called the hotel's number and were told that we had to go a couple doors down. We wandered around some more, and found nothing. Called again, and finally got better directions. Our room (#9) was not marked at all, but the door was left open for us.

The accommodations were fine, with a nice kitchen, a couple skylights, and a queen bed. Good: hot tub outside in a private patio loaded with hibiscus, nice shower head. Bad: no remote for the DVD player, AC didn't work (neither the central nor the window unit in the bedroom), ceiling fan only turned on along with a light, no outside lights worked. The property was clean, except for the hot tub which had a fair amount of dirt and stones in it.

There was a small booklet with some notes about the property telling us that breakfast was served (but didn't tell us where) from 8:30-9:30am. I have never before stayed at a B&B that allowed us 1 hour for breakfast. And the web site makes it seem like breakfast is amazing, but it wasn't. We had a mediocre "egg puff," store-bought bread, and they ran out of coffee.

The notes also said (well, shouted, b/c it was in all caps) that no one should complain after they leave, but they should call and report problems immediately. I assume that comment was due to the fact that some guests have previously posted less than favorable reviews. Well, I did call the number they listed for problems to report what we found on arrival, but no one answered, so I left a message. No one ever got back to me, so why should I have bothered to call back and report the other problems?

If you are going to stay here, find out before you arrive exactly where your room is so you know where to go. Also, check the property immediately for things like AC so you can get your call in right away and hopefully get problems addressed. I would never stay here again.

Great Location, Great Price, Great Breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member HappyDestiny

We rented the two bedroom house that sleeps six for four of us and it was the perfect size for our group. The location was great, we could walk everywhere of interest in Santa Fe, and the laid-back vibe was nice. When we got to the house, the door was open, housekeys were on the table, along with tourist info. and we were good to go. The breakfasts were excellent, too.

My friends stayed down the street at a one room place and really liked it too.

This B&B is good for people who want value for money, great service and like to be able to come and go as they please. It's not fancy, but it's functional and has everything you need and is clean and well-run.

Location was great, service was non-existant

by TripAdvisor Member arara3003

We just returned from a three day stay at the Casa del Toro. The location is excellent, and the food is pretty good. However, location and food do not a Bed and Breakfast make. While we had been told that due to Santa Fe laws we would not receive fresh towels everyday, we certainly did not expect to stay for three days without a maid entering the room. The trash can was full and the dust bunnies grew. The room, advertised as the perfect honeymoon suite was barren. It included a bed, a folding chair, another small chair that I can't begin to describe, and an empty book case. We had to leave the suitcases on the bare floor. The room came with a HUGE JACUZZI (their words) that was not long enough for one of us to stretch out in, let alone the two of us. Even the bedding and the towels were the bare minimum. Because the breakfast is so popular, the entire downstairs (minus our room) is filled with tables. That means that there is no place to sit. There was a swing on the porch that fell yesterday... We found a note that said we could lock the front and back door to the house if we wanted to. At 10:30 at night the front door was unlocked, and the back door was wide open. At $160 a night (before taxes), we expected more, especially in service. The B & B's we have been to before emphasized personal attention and care, I couldn't even tell you the names of the proprietors. I think I saw the owner when I called to find out where to park, but then again he didn't introduce himself; he may have been the manager. Is the cook his wife? Not sure...

casa del disappointment.

by TripAdvisor Member raffylily

Stayed here in May.Very disappointing. Breakfast was very grim,
tortilla or raisin toast.Check out the menus on their. website, they did not exist .The receptionist was cooking, there was no maid service, the bath tub was tiny, we were in their one of the better casitas. Did,nt bother to complain, nobody around to complain to.

nastiest b&b I have ever been in

by TripAdvisor Member rosyparker

Booked 2 nights and pre paid at The Casa del Toro and the Chapelle St. Casitas. I arrived on a Friday and they had left a key in the Casita that was mine. T.V did not work, nor the phone and blubs in the lamps were so low you could not read, very dirty, towels looked like they were purchased at a garage sale. Main house was down the street with lights out and door locked, left phone calls that were not returned. It was a Friday , with no place else to go, they had our $229.90, no breakfast or coffee with room and after I saw their kitchen I was happy about that. Did not sleep all night and went to the house at 6:30 am to tell them about the problems. Left my cell number, went on a walking tour in the city when the owner called and wanted me to come back and look at another room. I just told him to try to make my room livable for the one night I had left and I would be leaving. No mention of any restitution, etc. Beware !

AltarAltar

End of La Vista Verde TrailEnd of La Vista Verde Trail

Window, St. Francis CathedralWindow, St. Francis Cathedral

even in practicality, Santa Fe is colorfuleven in practicality, Santa Fe is colorful

Comments