Hilton Santa Fe

Costs 94% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Hilton Santa Fe

LIked the Hilton Santa Fe

by TripAdvisor Member novaguy30

We enjoyed our August 2006 stay. I want to make clear - I am far from a Hilton apologist and will say bad things about it if warranted (I've done this for other HIlton properties). I have read all of the negative reviews, so I was prepared for bad things but wanted Hilton points.

I was surprised that the stay went so well. The front desk was very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. i asked for a courtyard view room and they were able to accomodate that request and they let us check in early. The room was also decent. I know they have been doing room renovations, so maybe I got a newer room? Bathroom and room were much cleaner than the usual Hilton property - so that was very nice. Breakfast was also much better than the usual Hilton breakfast (Blue pancakes were very good) (I didn't eat at the hotel for dinner, but I have in a past visit and it was very good). The walk to the Plaza is easy and painfree. Hilton Santa Fe is NOT the best hotel in Santa Fe or near the Plaza. But it's a decent hotel and cheaper (its still pricey) than other nearby hotels. I would definitely stay in this hotel in the future.

Good Hotel for Price Paid

by TripAdvisor Member EaganTraveler

We returned to Santa Fe for a weekend and spent two nights at the Hilton Santa Fe. Overall, this is a good hotel especially if you are able to find a special rate making it much cheaper than other downtown hotels. The night desk manager was very welcoming and got us in our room quickly. Our room was large, with two double beds that were comfortable but the pillow quality varied. Bathroom is small with average to poor lighting and nice toiletries. Shower was o.k. but the tub did not drain well. The negative is that our room was facing the street side (west side of building) and the traffic noise is noticeable. Coffee is available in the lobby at 6:30am and they have cookies and hot cider in the evening. The lobby is very welcoming and a nice place to gather in front of the fire with a cup of cider. The hotel is doing some remodeling as carpets are worn/dirty in the halls and some rooms. Parking is still $15 per night but you can park on the street for free from 6p to 8a at most of the meters (free on Sunday). Easy walk to the plaza, museums and restaurants. Santa Fe is a great place to escape to with the nearby Tent Rocks National Monument, a great place to hike, and the cliff dwellings at the Bandelier National Monument. Many great shops and restaurants including La Casa Sena (budget permitting).

Would recommend highly

We stayed at the Hilton, Santa Fe on May 16, 2006 through May 23, 2006. I was a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews on this web-site. My husband and I and the couple we were with would all recommend this hotel highly. The location is absolutely perfect. Walk out the front door of the lobby and walk two blocks to the Plaza. The rooms were clean, comfortable and every amenity you could possibly want. I had read on the reviews that the staff were not helpful etc. Wrong- We found the staff polite, cheerful and when we did have a question they were more than helpful. The buffet was excellant. Our waitress, Roberta went out of her way to see that we had everything we needed at breakfast. We were leaving early in the morning as we had an early flight home, so we were checked out the night before. We were pleasantly surprised when we received a call from the concierge inquiring if we enjoyed our stay at the Hilton and were we happy with the service etc. As my husband said after getting the call. We have stayed in far more expensive hotels, and never received a call as to whether or not we were happy. In conclusion I would say- some people find fault with every little thing. I personally would recommend this hotel highly.

Not impressed by the Hilton !!!

The hotel is under construction yet this information is not posted on line. Really loud drilling sounds in lobby. The pool is not open nor is there even chairs to sit out in :(. We could not get valet service because no one was around. Buying anyhting in the hotel lobby was also tough... you had to go stand back in line at the desk just to pay. The hotel staff seemed overwhelmed and very confused. The on line picutres appeared as if this was a big hotel... it is rather small. It is basically an overdown Holiday Inn. We are used to hotel that are a little more upscale... if that is what you are looking for... this is not the hotel for you. I would not stay there again.

Stay somewhere else!

by TripAdvisor Member Muriel12

The photos from the April 17th posting look like they were taken in the room in which I stayed on February 3rd, 2006.

This Hilton has a wonderful location--easy walking distance to the main plaza and even closer to some fabulous restaurants. I also found the staff to be very pleasant (unlike some of the other negative reviews), and the lobby was lovely.

But our room was just dreadful. The entire room was in desperate need of an update--from carpet, to paint, to new tile in the bathroom. There were gashes in some walls where furniture had been dragged. Wallpaper border hung from the walls. The bathroom was just disgusting--mold and mildew in shower, on ceiling, and around gaping holes behind the toilet and under the sink. It's pretty darned hard to accumulate mildew in a climate with negligent humidity rates.

There are many, many hotels in the area with similar rates and proximity to the plaza. Make the effort to do some research and stay elsewhere. My previous stays at the El Dorado, Las Palomas, and Casapueblo Inn FAR surpassed this experience.

A work in progress

by TripAdvisor Member yastreb

The Hilton of Santa Fe has been around for a long time. It is undergoing a large and much needed renovation which is good overall. I stayed there for 4 nights on business at the end of May. My room had a comfortable bed, new fixtures, carpet and furniture. The bad side was that the wallpaper was the original, work and torn, the curtains were old and the bathroom was crammed. The outdoor pool seemed permanently closed. The tiny little gym badly needs updating. Staff at the hotel were very nice. The cafe was inexpensive and friendly. As everything in the Santa Fe plaza area is way overpriced, my $139/night internet rate was ok. The $9.95 per day high speed internet charge was not. Many hotels offer this for free.

Stay Away

by TripAdvisor Member MCJD

Does not in any manner live up to the Hilton name. Almost devoid of outdoor landscaping--surrounded by parking lot on 2 sides, streets on other two. Of the few plants in front, several were dead. Front desk staff very courteous. My walk to my assigned first floor room--#149--required using the exit stairwell. Hallways had no style/artwork. Hoped the room would be better. Shocked when I opened the door--green carpeting dating from the 1970s with very noticeable ground in black stain throughout walking path in the room. TV cabinet of Sauder fake wood quality. Chair in the corner looked like a Good Will discard with large brightly colored dots. Sliding glass door was adjacent to the parking lot. NOTHING NICE ABOUT THIS ROOM. I have stayed in several Motel 6's across the country during road trips and each and everyone one of them was far superior to this "Hilton" which was obviously another motel chain in a previous life. Others in my group had better quality rooms but we agreed meeting service was lacking (took 45 minutes to refill coffee and water pitchers even when asked--twice. No sense of automatically checking by staff).

Try the Hotel Santa Fe. That's where I ended up.

This is a Hilton?

by TripAdvisor Member travel_wahoo

I have certain "brand" expectations, and to me, this is NOT a Hilton property. Its quality is befitting of a Super 8 or Red Roof inn.

Supposedly "newly renovated" my room was dated. The showerhead was from the 1970's, and so badly mineralized, it was more of a sink sprayer. TV cabinet was a bad fit for the room...couldn't watch it from the desk. Desk chair uncomfy and squeaky, looks like something from 1985.

Saggy wallpaper, cheap bed comforter, loud air conditioner. Vanity was cramped...I pity the traveler with more than a toothbrush, or, say, a couple traveling together. Only fluorescent lighting in the vanity? Blech! Closet doors were too wide, making it impossible to use the closet, and the vanity area at the same time.

Pool and hot tub are OUT-doors, meaning useless in the winter months. No in-room fridge or mini-bar, and nothing nearby for convenience marts, etc. Surrounded by a parking lot, poorly landscaped. And $15 a day to park??? I pay less in major east-coast cities: downright gouging.

Staff is helpful, and nice downtown location, but you can do MUCH better in Santa Fe for this hotel's rack-rate and get quality rooms. The place was a poorly executed interior design, with little attention to details that matter. Back to the drawing board, if this is really a "Hilton."

Comments