Hilton Santa Fe Golf Resort & Spa at Buffalo Thunder

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Santa Fe Golf Resort & Spa at Buffalo Thunder

Customer service - does it exist?

by TripAdvisor Member cne24

Ok, the good: the Painted Parrott buffet was very good and the facilities are nicely decorated and comfortable.

The bad: service. The service was absolutely horrific. Let me explain.

We arrived at 330pm and were checked into our room. Unfortunately, the heating unit didn't work. Not a problem - things happen. The mechanic came and said that he put the room out of service the day before and we shouldn't have been placed in the room. He said guest services would stop by with new room keys and to wait 15 minutes. I'm traveling with 2 six-month old twins and my wife ... so we decided to wait.

20 minutes later - no one shows. I go down to the desk to explain my problem. No apologies - the clerk, without speaking, simply re-issues me room keys. I ask about the cribs I requested - she stares at me blankly. I explain I had 2 cribs requested within the reservation and I asked if they'll be sent to the new room. She simply says yes. Ok, again, not a big deal - but an apology would go a long way.

An hour later, with no cribs, we call Guest Services. Cribs on the way, they say. Great! We wait a bit of time, decide to go to the buffet when the cribs still don't show, and come back later in the evening expecting to see the cribs. No cribs.

I go talk to the manager, Melissa. I explain the lack of cribs and how this has gone on too long. She calls housekeeping, gets no response, and explains that she'll deliver the cribs personally. No apologies. I leave.

30 minutes later, housekeeping brings the cribs. No sheets. I ask for sheets. 30 minutes later, still no sheets. We call guest services 2 more times ... they can't locate crib sheets. I go down the hall, find an open housekeeping room, and get queen sheets on my own for the cribs so my twins can sleep. It is now close to 8pm or so.

During that time, we also call guest services to see if there is a laundry on site (the guest guide only refers to dry cleaning). Guest Services refers us to the concierge as they aren't aware if there is a guest laundry at their own property (!).

I go to front desk, explain I have had multiple issues, and that I'm checking out one day early. The clerk (the same one from earlier) again wordlessly checks me out a day early without any word of apology. I ask if that's typical service for the Buffalo Thunder and she simply stares at me. I resist the urge to get irate.

Obviously an establishment of this "type" isn't the best to take youngsters to, and if it was just my wife and myself we would have had no problems (with the exceptional of the broken heater), but the fact that there was and is a huge break-down with basic customer service is cause for great concern. This property is fairly new (I think 4 months?) so their problems should have been worked out by now.

Like I mentioned, a simple apology and being proactive would have worked big time in this case. As a result, I'm contacting Hilton and posting this review here - hopefully word of mouth causes them to work on their service issues so the next family avoids a similar problem. After all, the facility is nice - it is a shame several subpar employees ruined our time here.

Feel free to contact me directly to clarify, if you'd like.

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SABoy

My family and I recently stayed at the Buffalo Thunder Resort. The Hotel Rooms were great and the Hotel Service was good as well. The decor was amazing.The staff told us about a few great ski areas near the hotel. Keep in mind the Casino and the Hotel seem to be run by 2 different companies. This will make a difference in the drinking times and rules. There is no drinking allowed in the Casino. The only bad thing was the Casino. I know I usually have bad luck in these places, but the odds were very bad for everyone in my party. We stayed 6 days and for every run we had in the casino (less than 1 hour) We all lost everything we brought. For example at the Roulette table, the dealer hit 00 twice in a row. The odds were bad there, maybe you will have better luck.

Marriage Counseling....

by TripAdvisor Member PagosaDan

My wife and I got away for a night of marriage counseling.. that is a night without the kids for just 1 night. The hotel was gorgeous, casino fun, but the serviced lacked. The check in was great but we asked about a recommendation for a restaurant and nobody knew anything. There is a very nice but too expensive restaurant onsite, we passed at $45 per meal. We ate at the buffet. Good food, ok service.

The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The setting in the mountians above Santa Fe is nice.

Breakfast at the buffet was not worth the price. The service as terrible as I sat there for 20 minutes after breakfast waiting to pay.

The checkout was easy and correct price.

We will go back, but probably eat in Santa Fe.

Nice overall...needs wome work

by TripAdvisor Member Audrey45

After reading reviews we went expecting it not to be perfect. They do need to attend to a lot of details to make it first class but the hotel is beautifully appointed. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The art in the public areas is exceptional. We went to the spa and husband and myself each had a great treatment. The spa is lovely and staff very welcoming.
Some of the restaurants were closed as we went mid week but we ate at the Turquoise Trail in the casino and the burger-type food was quite good and reasonably priced. the casino is below the hotel level so not a problem if you are there for a quiet stay.
The golf course looks great but we only hit balls on the driving range
Overall a great stay but they do need to get up to speed to be first class.

Lived here 2 weeks

by TripAdvisor Member thomas77379

Great facility. I didn't hear any complaints from our event organizer about the Event Management. Facilty is great and all systems work well. Housekeeping a little unorganized yet. Location is remote but its a full service facility. Quality of food for event was great, dining rooms not as impressive but fine.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member whitte1

My husband and I stayed after the Jay Leno preformance. We opted to stay instead of making the 30 minute drive home. We were in a wonderful room on the 5th floor. The room had 2 fireplaces. We could still smell the *new* hotel smell.

We had a few drinks at the lobby bar, which were really expensive. The bartenders were nice.

The casino had lots of penny slots. Neighter my husband or myself like to gamble, so we didn't spend too much time there. There was a non-smoking section though it still smelled smokey. Staff kept the machines wiped clean and servers came around with water or soda.

We highly recommend Gabriel's for dinner. It is just south of the hotel on the frontage road. They have WONDERFUL mexican food. Be sure to order the guacamole, best items on the menu are the Fajitas and Taos Combo.

The Leno performance was good but the seating was cramped. There were two big screens, so all could see.

We probably won't go back for the amenities but was a fun get-a-way without the kids.

Very nice facility and staff, but cutting costs in the wrong places

by TripAdvisor Member JanetBartlett

The Hilton Buffalo Thunder is a very nice facility and conveniently located about 15 minutes north of Santa Fe and 45 minutes south of Taos. We enjoyed the comfy beds, nice size room, shops, friendly staff, and overall look and feel of the resort. Also, the casino is nice and easy to access. The weekend concierge was knowledgeable and helpful. Valentine's Day dinner at the Red Sage restaurant was very nice. We ordered room service one night and it was good and prompt.

The extras and sometimes even the basics you would expect at a Hilton were not always there. The typical sit down hotel restaurant had a line for breakfast every day and about 20% of the tables were always sitting empty, waiting to be cleaned - obviously not enough staff to keep up. There is also a buffet restaurant, but it was rarely open. When taking a shower at about 9 AM on Saturday and Sunday the water was never more than lukewarm. The room was hot and turning the thermostat down to 63 made no difference. The thermometer never moved below 71 - must have a set range. The business center makes you use a credit card to charge 45 cents to print off an airline boarding pass - I've never been charged to print a boarding pass before. I asked the clerk at the front desk to please print it so I wouldn't have to go back to my room to get a credit card. He printed it for me and was friendly. My husband and I were there for 4 nights and we never recieved a new bottle of shampoo - finally had to call and ask for one on the last night because the bottle only had a few drops left.

I would probably stay there again, but with lowered expectations.

REALLY roomy rooms.

by TripAdvisor Member Sasahm

My husband and I took an overnight get-away to the Buffalo Thunder Resort. Our stay was nice, but not overly impressive. The best part were the rooms themselves. Very roomy and well furnished. Our whole intent for this get-away was to do just that...get-away, and that was well accomplished there.

Beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was VERY roomy...they could have put a jacuzzi tub in there...that would have been a nice upgrade.

The only complaints that I have is that the guy at check-in didn't know what he was doing and couldn't find our reservation. When he finally found someone else to help us, the new guy found it instantly. OK...we can get over this. The next morning, when we checked our bill, it had a more expensive rate on it, not what was quoted us originally upon making the reservation, and confirmed by the second guy at check-in. This was fixed promptly once we called and requested the original quote. So, again, this can be overlooked.

Lastly, we had breakfast at the Painted Parrot...AVOID this! NOT worth the money spent AT ALL. Go down to the Starbucks, get a decent cup of coffee and a muffin. You'll be glad you did.

One thing I must mention is do dinner or lunch at GABRIEL'S, which is and exit before the resort, if you are coming from Santa Fe. They have excellent food and the tableside guacamole is hands down better than ANY guac ever! The flan is very good as well.

We're not gamblers, although we walked through the casino. Yeah...it's a casino...can't say much more than that. Nothing impressive.

Put lipstick on a buffalo, its still a buffalo

by TripAdvisor Member folsomdirect

Yes this place looks beautiful with all the southwest designs and glitz and glitter....take away the eye candy and there's not much left. The hotel staff lied to us as our room was supposed to be comped. When we arrived the front desk clerk says "Well, looks like your room is comped." The before we check out I get a receipt for the room and disputed it. "No, your room is not comped, sorry it must have been a mis- communication." This after spending who knows how many hours on the phone talking between the hotel and casino and dealing with their BS which is WHY they were comping the room in the first place. The spa compared to others, is WAY overpriced and the service, again, is poor. I will say the food at the Parrot buffett and the Turquoise Deli is really good. My friend tried the 6 pound burger...if you eat it in 30 minutes or less you get it free otherwise its $25. The buffet we lucked out and got a coup from the casino for buy 1 get 1 free when we got our players club card. Every type of food you can imagine and, from what I had, it was good...especially the pizza and the sweet and sour chicken. The dessert table also has quite a selection from pies to ice cream and everything in between.

The rooms were big enough and the walls were paper thin. From overhearing the maid's convo about her boyfriend with another girlfriend that was about to get out of prison (I'm not making this up) to housekeeping sounding like they were bowling in the hallway at 8am. Good luck sleeping if you stay here, which sucks because the beds are comfortable.

The pool and hot tub are awesome, until no one reads the rules and lets their toddlers float around in the hot tub and kick water around in your face.

Overall, I would NOT recommend staying here, but would recommend taking pics of all the glitz and glamor to show your friends and family and even eating here as well.

P.S. I think the main statue out front accurately represents anyone who has experienced something similar to my stay- As he looks to the sky, hands raised in the air saying something like "Why God, why did I choose to stay here?!"

bad service

by TripAdvisor Member NM_Custoner

we had dinner at the parrot bay buffet the service was none the server actually told me to to get my own silverware the cupon that another parton gave us was never discounted and the chinese food would have been better out of a box. We will not be eating there ever again.

Miraculous StairsMiraculous Stairs