Inn at Loretto

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Luxury Within Walking Distance of Town

As we drove through the entrance to this Inn, we knew at a glance that this was something special!

A valet came immediately to our car and after telling him that we were only here to look, suggested we come back that evening to see the hotel at night lit up and dramatic!

The Inn at Loretto describes itself as being "comfortably nestled between the 13th and 21st centuries". Its designed in the Southwest style and features many amenties for the traveler who lodges here.

The guest rooms have wireless internet access, cable television, stocked mini-bar complete with personal mini-oxygen tanks, 24 hour room service, hair dryers, ironing boards, comfy bathrobes, Spa Terre bath products and a daily newspaper. Rooms are available with balconies, private or shared. A full service spa is located at the Inn.

The Inn's concierge service can make transportation arranagements, dining reservations, schedule tours or direct you around the town. Valet parking is on the premises.

• ellielou's Profile Photo

My favorite hotel in Santa Fe

I've stayed at two other comparably priced and located hotels, the Hilton and the Eldorado. While the Eldorado is lovely, and I get comped for the great breakfast at the Hilton, the Inn at Loretto is, hands down, my favorite.

Unique Quality: It's an incredibly nicely decorated hotel, without being stuffy. The staff is professional, without being too fawning.

I've never slept as well in a hotel as I sleep here. All the rooms have doors that lead either to a small balcony or patio.

As I smoker, I stay on the first floor, and the room I always get/request, 102, opens up to a patio with wooden furniture, right next to the pool with the sculpture garden.

I never can believe that while I'm there, I'm actually there for work!

More about Inn at Loretto

Decorator 1, Guest Service 0

by TripAdvisor Member Critiqued4U

We had high hopes for this hotel, but left disappointed. It was newly renovated and decorated, but unfortunately, I felt the decorator’s tastes were better accommodated than the guests’ comfort. The room was painted a deep red/orange which was pleasing and appropriate to the area, but even with three lamps and open French doors the dark color absorbed the light and the room was remained too dark. Reading anywhere but directly under a lamp was impossible. The bathroom walls were white, but this room was also poorly lit for make-up application and no make-up mirror interfered with the décor of the bathroom, nor did a towel bar or ample shelving to accommodate valet cases for two people. The single, nicely sized sink, had our hand towels and wash clothes draped over it regularly, along with the things that didn’t fit on the little glass shelf.

The oversized chairs in the sitting area were as lovely and appropriate to the décor as I’ve seen in a hotel room, but they were not comfortable. My husband hit his thigh on the overly high footboard numerous times and ended up with a 5 inch bruise. Less than a 14 inch passage was allowed between the bed and the draperies which included an iron curtain pull. There was no dresser in the room and only 1 nightstand with drawer space. There was a credenza which housed the mini-bar and 6 nightstand sized drawers, but to avoid detracting from the room’s décor, the coffee maker was stored in 1 drawer, the phone books, bible and advertising books in another and the ice bucket and glasses in a third drawer. I had to pile all these things on top of the credenza to unpack for a 4 day stay.

I also felt “taken advantage of.” The hotel offered valet parking, but only valet parking at $16 per day. There was a $10 nightly service fee, but we only had turndown service the first night. (1 $10 fee was reduced after complaint with no explanation for not reducing the $20 amount.) There was complimentary a.m. coffee in the lobby, but no hot water for tea and it seems none could be made available. Later after a frustrating effort, including numerous attempts by the front desk personnel, to use a calling card (no cell phone signal or wireless in room) my husband used direct dial for a call he needed to make at a specific time. The charge was $58 about which we complained. A generous offer to void the charge was made by the manger. We chose to pay ½. The manager never came out of the back office, but negotiated these complaints through messages with the desk clerk.

We avoided the restaurant after seeing a menu price of $10 for oatmeal and $14 for eggs Benedict in a dining room with little atmosphere. We dined in many other fine Santa Fe restaurants with similar prices without regrets. During our last evening we did stop by the lounge for a glass of wine, some cheese and olives. The service was equal to low rated chain restaurant, although the wine selection and cheeses were very nice. I was annoyed to have spent our last evening in the hotel when there were so many great restaurants with wonderful ambiance to which we could have returned.

A Mixed Bag

by TripAdvisor Member Catullus51

A curious mixed bag at the Loretto. Newly decorated clean rooms, a generally helpful staff (see below), a wonderful location and a great spa are all positives. Negatives include the obnoxious $10 and $16 charges other reviewers have described, the ambient noise around the hotel (hope you like church bells every 15 minutes), and, perhaps because of the location of our room at the end of a long, long hall at the end of the hotel, quite a bit of traffic sound in the morning.

The concierge was one of the best we've seen, with great recommendations for side trips and meals. On the other hand, beware the housekeeping and mini-bar service person. We were awakened at 8:15 on Saturday morning by the housekeeper, and at 8:20 by the mini-bar guy. When we spoke to the hotel about this, we were told we should have used our do-not-disturb sign. A valid point perhaps, at least on some days and at some times, but not at 8:15 on Saturday morning.

Our Hotwire room was also a mixed experience. The furnishings were clearly new in the muted SW colors you'd expect, and was quite attractive. However, the lighting was inadequate for the space, the furniture was quite uncomfortable, and the small TV was located in an armoire situated far enough from the bed to make watching TV not really an option.

If we'd paid full price for our stay, we'd probably be angrier, at least about being woken up on Saturday morning. At Hotwire's half-price rate, however, you just grin and bear it. The hotel should address these things, though -- you don't expect these sorts of quirks from $300 hotels.

Great location, nice (DARK) rooms, but service lacking

by TripAdvisor Member Rabbit1963

We stayed for three nights in a Vista Room with a shared balcony. The location of the hotel was great; the hotel is connected to the Loretto Chapel and about a block to the Plaza and St. Francis Cathedral and two blocks from Canyon Road. There is also a nice pool area.

With respect to the room and facilities, I must agree with the previous reviewer. Due to the design and decor, our room and the public areas felt somewhat dark. The hotel is built to look like the adobe Taos Pueblo houses and because of this, there are few windows in the front part of the building. Our recently renovated Vista room had only one set of narrow French doors that opened onto a large balcony/patio that was shared with two other rooms. The shared balcony was a bit awkward because if anyone was on the balcony, they could potentially look into your room, hence the drapes could not be kept wide open. This, along with the deep red walls compounded the darkness of the room. (FYI-- the pictures on the hotel website are not of the renovated rooms; the rooms now have deep, dark red walls)

The layout of our renovated Vista room was, however, fairly spacious. In the sitting area, there was a faux kiva fireplace in the corner with two club chairs, an arm chair with ottoman and a glass desk and chair. The sleeping area had a comfortable king four poster bed and a bureau with a large flat screen TV. I never found the coffeemaker mentioned by the prior reviewer and this was probably due to the poor lighting; It was so dark, I didn't bother to look in the cabinets or drawers. The WIFI (included as part of the $10/night service fee) also worked perfectly.

The bathroom was nice and spacious. Slate(?) floors, black and white tile, large pedestal sink and tub/shower combo. There were two glass shelves and I thought plenty of storage space. The closet is also in the bathroom, which in this case was a plus since it was the brightest part of the room and you could actually see what is in your suitcase in the bathroom.

When it comes to service, I don't think that I am a demanding traveler (the only thing we ask for sometimes is a late check out), but I must say that service in the hotel was not on par with the prices they charge. The hotel is in the process of a renovation that should be complete soon, and the management seems to be focusing on that instead of the service. For a hotel at this price, I expect better housekeeping; toiletries were not replenished daily and we found receipts and paper left by previous guests. One major problem is that the hotel didn't provide a "Do Not Disturb" signs. Housekeeping kept knocking on a daily basis and even came into our room while were still there once. This is a simple fix that management should attend to, but for now, BYO "DND" sign. Other hotel staff (front desk and valets) were competent.

Overall, the hotel has a great location to explore Santa Fe from and comfortable (but dark) rooms and facilities. However, given the service, I can't say that this hotel is a great value.

Surely there are better options in Santa Fe

by TripAdvisor Member NYinTransit

I spent a weekend at the Inn at Loretto and found the hotel experience disappointing (but found the city of Santa Fe absolutely delightful).

The hotel, as many other reviewers note, is recently refurbished. The decor was modern southwest, and our room had a comfortable sitting area and a large adjoining patio. In this respect, the room was comfortable.

But as comfortable as the room was, I would avoid this hotel because its inadequate service. The inadequacy stems from both unaccommodating staff and being understaffed (see the comment on valet parkers below).

I'd note the following:

(1) When we returned from dinner on a Friday evening, there was a line of 6 cars waiting on the small circular driveway to be parked, and the front desk's response was merely to park the car and leave the keys (with no apparent urgency). This was particularly disappointing given the $16 nightly parking fee.

(2) I sought change for a $20 bill at the front desk, and they could not help me.

(3) When I went for a pre-dinner cocktail at the bar, the staff seemed far more interested in chatting amongst themselves than serving clients, and then the service was rude and the bar food quite overpriced.

(4) The fitness center was more like a room with a few cardio machines -- below expectations for a hotel of this class.

(5) When we left at 6:30 am for the airport and asked about coffee being served, we were told to stop at McDonald's (I would expect most hotels would have coffee out in the morning for guests).

Santa Fe is a lovely city that is teeming with fine hotels. I'd suggest looking elsewhere before booking at the Inn at Loretto.

Finally, I'd advise anyone seeking spa treatments to head directly to 10,000 Waves, a world-renowned destination day spa in Santa Fe.

What happened to our "Gem"?

by TripAdvisor Member DiscriminatingDiva

My husband and I spent 2 days here on the 1st and 2nd. We stayed at the Inn 3 years ago and thought, at the time, that it was an incredible find. Because we like to try new places, I was unsure about giving this hotel another try. It was down to Eldorado and Las Palomas. The $7.5 million dollar rennovation (as the desk clerk indicated), sealed the deal. I expected our "gem" of 3 years ago, to be dazzling!

Boy, were we in for a shock! The interior decorating firm should lose their license. What they did to this hotel is heartbreaking! I wish other guests could have seen the Inn 3 years ago. The inside restaurant was warm, inviting and romantic. Now, it's cold, contemporary and dull. The white walls everywhere (halls included) and handpainting have cheapened the place. The interior rooms are pitiful. Brick red walls. Dark, dark, dark. We couldn't see anything. Try to relax in a brick red room!!

The bathrooms are tough for two people. Not enough room to put your stuff. I missed a makeup mirror and the only thing I hated, prior to the rennovation (the red checked shower curtin) is still there. I decided it was the designer's inspiration!

I was insulted by the unknown charges of $10.00 a day to use the normal facilities and $16.00 a day to valet. When I asked the unfriendly desk clerk if I had the option to self park, she quickly said, "no" and made us sign a statement that we accepted the parking fee. This wasn't the case 3 years ago when we could self-park.

Since I hate to end this review with all negative comments, there are still a few great things about this hotel. (1) The location is superb. Best, safest route to the square, restaurants and shops. (2) Outside dining is expensive, but beautiful under the trellis (3)The lobby bar is still sexy and romantic. Unfortunately, we didn't have entertainment on Sunday and Monday. (4) The pool is nice (5) bed is comfortable.

We visited both the El Dorado and Las Palomos. Eldorado is a far superior hotel, but is larger and a little farther to the square. Las Palomas was creepy. Too far from everything and at night, I felt unsafe walking around.

If we ever visit Santa Fe again, I would select Eldorado If we win the lottery, The Inn of the Anasazi would be my top selection. Do go there for drinks or dinner, but be pepared to empty your wallet.

I hope management reads these comments and does something about the decor!

Very mediocre hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member michbren

My husband and I spent three nights at this hotel last week and felt the same at the previous reviewers - dark, uninviting interior and poor customer staff from most employees except the bell staff.

The Vista room we had was poorly laid out and there was alot of wasted space. We had only one chair (besides the uncomfortable desk chair). We never did figure out how to work the TV. The private balcony was nice but there were pigeons everywhere, as well as their droppings.

Had a security problem in that we returned to our room one day just as housekeeping was leaving after cleaning our room. As we approached the door she held it open for us - never asking for our key or trying the key in the door. This really concerned us and we were glad we were leaving the next day.

Had an issue each of the two times we stopped at the lounge. The first time the waitress dropped a drink in my lap and on my laptop. The other time a poor English speaking waitress became somewhat agitated about a beer I requested. She did not understand what I ordered. Never went back after that!!

The only redeeming quality of this hotel is the location -- very convenient to everything in downtown Santa Fe.

Overall I can not recommend this hotel. It leaves alot to be desired for the rates they charge.

Fun and Beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member riverdogs

My family and I stayed here this past week. I highly recommend it if you are visiting the area. Location is perfect for walking around and taking in all the sights downtown. This resort is beautiful and truly gives the local feel of old Santa Fe. The rooms are beautiful and the staff very friendly. I found it a great place to stay weather you are a couple, there for business, or with your family. Prices are reasonable throughout the resort. It was the best way to experience Santa Fe and we plan to go back and visit again soon.

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member cmanzano

My Wife and I stayed at this resort.
I really had a great time & enjoyed the surrounding and how convenience!
Christina Mitchell at the front office is very helpful and very accomodating.
If anyone is looking for a great place to stay and bring back a part of history. This is the place!! I would recommend people who are looking for a piece of mind experienced the tranquility of the resort.

Comments