3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Inn of the Governo

Rated 10% higher but also costs 88% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Lovely and Convenient

This is a very lovely hotel just off the main plaza in Santa Fe. The rooms were larger than some and well appointed. One small thing that impressed me was the landscaping. As you can see in the photo, there were beautiful flowers everywhere.

Unique Quality: Included in the price of the room was a very extensive and delicious breakfast buffet. They also have a computer in the lobby with free internet access for the patrons. Other amenities include afternoon tea and sherry, morning newspaper, heated pool, terry cloth robes and a nice garden patio.

Directions: Just off the main plaza in the center of town.

More about Inn of the Governors

3 Nights in Santa Fe

by TripAdvisor Member highloyo

I just returned from Santa Fe where I spent 4 days. Here are the good features. The hotel is a great buy, especially for the price I paid through Expedia ($109/nt avg). This was for my wife and 15 yr old child. We had 2 queen beds. The room was well cared for by the staff with all the amenities. and very nicely decorated. The hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. The location is right in the Plaza area, walking distance to all the galleries, restaurants and attractions of Santa Fe. Parking was free. The hotel provided a full breakfast daily which included everything one would deem necessary for breakfast. This was a great value considering there were 3 of us. Tea and sherry service was served in the lobby every afternoon at 4pm. Guests could access the internet on a computer in the lobby. The room service menu must be the least expensive I have ever seen. No items were over $5, including burgers and fries, turkey wraps among others.

The only negatives I felt was the size of the room. There wasn't much walking or sitting area. The doors separating the wash basin area from the sleeping quarters wouldn't close because the bed was in the way. With a small room comes a small bathroom. The shower and toilet area was very cramped. The toilet was a water conservation type that wouldn't flush completely nor was it very accomodating to a 6"3" man.

I would recoomend the hotel but try to get a bigger room.

Great hotel in Santa Fe

by TripAdvisor Member DougDurango

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Inn of the Governors for a romantic getaway over Easter weekend, based upon a friend's advice. We thoroughly enjoyed the visit.

The hotel has a great location, just a 2 minute walk from the Plaza. Check-in went smoothly. The staff was friendly, greeting you in the hallways and asking if you needed anything. The included breakfast was outstanding--you'd pay $12 for their buffet at many hotels.

We were upgraded (without asking for it) to a room with a wood burning fireplace. Our room was very clean, and had an overabundance of pillows--8 to be exact! The bathroom was small, but very clean.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and we will return.

Doug in Durango, Colorado

p.s.--Forgot to mention: Best thing was that the headboard was screwed to the wall!!!!!!

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member JaneRussel

This is really a mixed review, a combination of my comments and those of my wife. The room we stayed in was on the lower level. It was very small but clean and nicely decorated with indigenious art. The heat, which was needed in April when temps drop to 25 at night, was in short supply. Probably peculiar to our room, as noted by management, but my wife was not happy with the room temperature. We did have a space heater. Virtually all hotel staff were hospitable. Breakfast was included in room price and was diverse and above average. Free parking is nice. Hotel is very conviently located near town square. Bottom line - I would stay there again without hesitation, wife would not. The cold thing really iced her and we had to stand aside to move in the room.

If first visit to area, try dining at Pasquals, SantaCafe and The Shed. Also see the state capitol, within walking distance. It's kiva-like with native art as good or better than you will see anywhere on Canyon Road.

A great place to stay while in Santa Fe

by TripAdvisor Member crsdmale

Throughout our stay, we had a great experience. When we arrived we were promptly checked into a deluxe room on the first floor of the governor's wing. A few hours after our arrival, we received a phone call from the front desk asking if we would object to changing to another deluxe room on the second floor for the remainder of our stay. The front desk personnel explained that there was a large group coming in and he apologized profusely. Because we agreed to this minor inconvenience, we were given a substantial discount for each night, free drink coupons, and a free gift basket. Both rooms were nicely decorated and spotless. They both had a balcony and kiva fireplace to make the stay truly memorable. The complimentary breakfasts were well prepared and offered a great variety of hot and cold choices. The rest of the front desk staff was also very helpful, friendly, and attentive. Unlike other hotels who claim to be within walking distance of the plaza, this one truly is within two blocks of the palace. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning on visiting Santa Fe.

Great location and great breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member candi-lee

We had five nights reserved at Inn of the Governors but stayed only two. True, it was a lovely hotel and room. However, balconies overlooking the parking lot, kiva fireplaces unused, and plush terry robes we wore for five minutes just to say we did, don't add value to the room. Conveniences we would have apprecieated would have been a microwave; complimentary coffee & tea 24/7; larger TV w/ more channels, and a guide; and a hot tub. On the plus side, the staff was accommodating, the lobby was inviting, the breakfast was exceptional, and the available internet service was helpful. The bedding and linens were luxurious. The location was great and the extra dollars to stay near the plaza are well-spent. I would recommend this hotel but if I were to visit Santa Fe again, I might try the St. Francis next door or one of the other fine plaza-area hotels.

The reason we cut our stay in Santa Fe short was that we grew bored with shopping. We easily enjoyed the sites in three days and we didn't care to spend the rest of our vacation poking around the endless shops. Overall we had a fun New Mexico vacation.

Great staff, okay accommodations

The staff at the Inn of the Governors was great. Everyone was extremely friendly and hospitable, from the front desk to the restaurant staff. However, I found the accomodations overpriced. We stayed in a mini-suite that was nicely decorated, had wonderful bedding, and a great balcony, but the bathroom had no fan and was very dated (old sink, mirrors and lighting fixtures), and the air conditioning in the room was loud and hardly worked. I think I would have been more satisfied staying in a regular room that wasn't so expensive (from what I heard the regular rooms were about $175, as opposed to the $280 paid for the mini-suite). But, the location could not be beat! And the restaurant/bar served awesome, inexpensive food and drinks. Overall, it was an pleasant, but not outstanding, experience.

Convenient Location - Nice Hotel

I agree with the rest of the reviews in that the hotel is in a great location near the plaza. It was down the block from Pasqual's which by far has one of the best breakfasts in Santa Fe (served most of the day). They are very friendly and had a generous free breakfast included with the room price. You should also sign up for the frequent stay program on the hotel website for a free upgrade (we were upgraded to a fireplace room) and a welcome gift (a packet of coffee, nuts and chocolate). Contrary to a previous review, our room was quite warm. We couldn't turn the a/c on, so kept a window open much of the night. However, because we were near the bar, the noise was pretty annoying - the noise is gone with the windows closed though. Needless to say, with the heat, we didn't get to use our kiva fireplace! All in all, this is a pleasant place to stay and very convenient for walking around.

Fabulous hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member kiwi_nz

My husband and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and we absolutely loved it. We may have been in a newly renovated room (it had a red theme) as everything was in pristine condition. The beds felt very luxurious and the bedroom and bathroom were spotless - we couldn't fault them. The complimentary breakfast was very impressive and had everything you could ever want - fresh fruit, cereal, pastries and an excellent cooked selection. We attended the tea and sherry afternoon which was delightful - the host was great as were all the staff at the Inn! The free internet in the reception area was a bonus too. The location was almost too good to be true - one or two minutes to the plaza. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Comments