Kings Rest Court

History of Santa FeHistory of Santa Fe

More Rio Grand GorgeMore Rio Grand Gorge

House near Canyon RoadHouse near Canyon Road

Inside Loretto Chapel, New MexicoInside Loretto Chapel, New Mexico

looking for information on obscure forest road

by bocmaxima

Hi, and thanks for reading.
I'm looking for information on FR 289 in the Santa Fe National Forest between FR 268 and FR 142 west of Santa Fe and southwest of Bandelier, mainly regarding its condition.
I have a high-clearance truck, but it's 4x2 and has problems on ridiculous inclines, sand and mud, but I've driven it on what would be considered jeep trails in the past.
I'd like to visit Cochiti, and would like to get to Bandelier and Los Alamos without having to go way around.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-colin

RE: RE: looking for information on obscure forest road

by bocmaxima

Wow, thanks!
You saved me a lot of time.
It's unfortunate though, because I really would have liked to drive that road. I guess I'll have to find another road in better condition in order to see the backcountry.
Thanks, again.

Travel Tips for Santa Fe

The Lorretto Chaple to see the...

by jeanllehman

The Lorretto Chaple to see the 'Miracle Staircase' and listen to the story of it's creation. It is a freestanding spiral staircase with no means of support other than its spiral structure. Listen to the
recording with speculation about the young carpenter who mysteriously arrived to build it.

Did you eat your prickly pears today?

by karenincalifornia

At the end of May, the prickly pear cactus was in bloom. It produces a beautiful tissue-like flower. The flowers I saw were yellow, but I've also seen red flowers as well.

Prickly pear is a common ingredient in Southwestern dishes. There's no limit to the types of dishes this cactus will end up in. You can find prickly pear cheesecake, cookies, jelly, salads, salad dressings, shrimp and beef dishes, breads, candy, salsa, or you can coat them with cornmeal and fry the s**t out of them. (Remove the spines before cooking.)

I wondered if the prickly pear flowers were edible as well, so I went to the internet, the most reliable source for everything you want to know. I found this statement by an "expert":

Now as far as I know just me and some other guy are the only people who have eaten these flowers. The other guy is dead. So this is more a query than a recommendation. I like prickly pear flowers. Do you? E-mail me at www.humannatures.com and let me know. They have the texture and mouth of yucca flowers. I've heard there is a lost tribe that imbibes almost totally on these blooms. But I have no substantive material on their safety and edibility. So unless you are a fool like me I cannot recommend this flower. All fools please e-mail me your comment.

Espanola

by Toughluck

Heart of the Northern Rio Grande Valley. Access to the Mountain Churches, El Sanctuario, Taos , Taos Pueblo, and Chama. Please see my Espanola travel page for what details I have added so far. It's a work in progress and not all of these topics are there yet. (15, May 2007).

New Mexico Museum of Art

by AlbuqRay

The New Mexico Museum of Art was founded in 1917 as the Art Gallery of the Museum of New Mexico. Its holdings number more than 23,000 objects, focusing on the areas of photography and works on paper; paintings, sculpture and furniture from the 20th century; and contemporary art. There is particular emphasis on work produced in or related to New Mexico. The museum is located at the intersection of Palace and Lincoln Avenues near the northwest corner of the Plaza.

Beautiful Peruvian Imports

by SFHulaGIrl about Chapare

Located in the Sanbusco Market Center, Chapare is chock full of hats, gloves, scarves, sweaters, throws, bags and other items imported from South America. Many are fashioned of baby alpaca fur, which is incredibly soft. Skip the nearby Peruvian Connection in lieu of this place -- the prices are much better here! The hats and gloves are a good deal. Gloves were from $12.99 to $19.00 The hat I chose was $27.00. Teddy bears are even available from $25 to $35.

Comments