Casa Gallina

613 Callejon, Taos, New Mexico, 87571, United States
Despegar.com Agoda.com

More about Casa Gallina

Everything we hoped for...

Casa Gallina is a little piece of the paradise that is Taos. Tucked away on a side road that might leave you wondering, "Where is this place?", the chickens at Richard Spera's little casita are living a life you will envy. We stayed in the approx. 900 square foot, one-room "nest" that Richard has created adjacent to his own house. As time goes by, he will be adding extra choices to the accomodations he offers, as he is refurbishing the house next door to add to your choices. Our stay was wonderful, beginning to end, punctuated by delightful tastes of Richard's cooking and snacks that greeted us on arrival and throughout the stay. Make time to allow Richard to prepare a breakfast for you (extra charge of $15 per person, well worth the pampering), and enjoy the chance to chat with him. He is building a little piece of heaven in Taos, and is more than willing to share with you.

The accomodations are spacious, constructed and decorated with the touches that stamp it as a true piece of Taos. There are walls plastered with the local mud and straw plaster, saltillo tile floors, a kiva fireplace that roars when fired up with supplied firewood, cozy nooks and dividing walls that divide the space and create choices of where to sit next. The backyard has comfortable chairs to just sit in and soak in the Taos sunrises and sunsets. Don't bother bringing an alarm, the resident rooster will let you know when he thinks you've had enough rest.

Richard's yard is a wandering display of sculpture, planted with ever-blooming flowers that make you want to go home and start digging and planting. If you like dogs, his three friends will happliy keep your hands busy, and if you don't (we do!), they will just sit in the yard and keep the chickens safe.

Thank you, Richard, for a great visit and a lasting memory of Taos!

Beautiful Tranquility

Casa Gallina is a wonderful retreat! Everything from the well decorated and spacious accomodations to the gracious and warm hospitality of host Richard Spera is top notch. The location feels remote and quiet, yet is just minutes from town and nearby locales. The gardens and patio are lovely and inviting. Attention to detail and thoughtfulness is evident in the attractive furnishings as well as the most delicious breakfasts Richard makes upon request. This was one of our favorites stays in our years of travel and we would definitely stay there again!

Thank you Casa Gallina!!!

Casa Gallina was a wonderful place to stay in Taos.

When we arrived, our host, Richard Spera greeted us and helped us in to our new home. He gave us a tour of our accommodations which were really nice--the decor, furniture, art were all really cool in the wonderful Southwest style. The space also had satellite with movie channels, DSL hookup, computer, DVD player, etc.

We were surprised to see a wonderful sampling of fresh tomatoes, feta, olives, and other homemade snacks plus a bottle of red wine waiting for us! This was really nice after traveling all day. We were satisfied with this snack so we just snuggled in and relaxed the rest of the night.

Breakfast—just do it!!! Richard is an amazing chef. Fresh eggs from the girls out back (photo)! I do not want to say any more and wreck the surprise! Our breakfast at Casa Gallina was the best during our weeklong trip in New Mexico.

Richard is very helpful in pointing guests to fun things to do in Taos. He turned us on to a wonderful hike that we just loved. If you like challenging hikes in the mountains ask him about the Divisidera Loop, not sure on the spelling. We crossed pathes with a Black-tailed Rattlesnake (I only mention it so you are aware that they are present and you will be careful not to trample on them. This particular snake was calm and resting and right along our path. We paused and took a long look in awe and then passed by safely.), hawks, birds and other beautiful wildlife! Great hike!

We love Taos and will definitely stay at Casa Gallina next time we are in town!!!

Thank you Richard!!!

Casa Gallina -the Best Place to Stay in Taos!

We were heading to Taos, and I Googled to find places to stay there, and found Casa Gallina's website. Then after talking with Richard Spera, owner/manager, I was convinced we'd like it. Well, not only did we like it, my husband and I decided it was the nicest place we've ever stayed in, for many reasons - a few of which are that the place was absolutely charming, cozy, well-appointed, clean and comfortable. We had virtually a whole house - with a lovely landscaped, flower filled front yard and back yard patio, pastures with horses across the street, and a real chicken coop with a crowing-rooster wake-up alarm! Richard is an excellent chef, and made our breakfast one morning - he brought it over at the exact time we had requested, and it was delicious- peach scones, breakfast burritos and fresh eggs compliments of the hens in the back yard! If we are in Taos again, we will definitely stay at Casa Gallina, and maybe check out his new suites, as he is in the process of expanding. With his eye for interior design, landscaping, gourmet cooking and his attention to detail, the new ones will be awesome, too. Be sure to make your reservations early, as he should stay booked. Casa Gallina is that good!

Couldn't imagine anything better

by TripAdvisor Member Islandvick

When I found Casa Gallina during an internet search I knew I had to stay there. In fact, I built my two-week vacation around Richard's availability.
I love it when I'm right but I couldn't have imagined how tranquil and wonderful my time in Taos would be because of Richard. He had wine and various snacks ready for my arrival. He was quick to provide advice on where to eat, shop and visit during my stay. He pulled out a map and pointed out everything.
The B&B is convenient to the sites and restaurants and would make a great place to hang out while skiing.
Leghorn casita was not only spacious but had everything a traveler could want from internet to satellite (just in case you've spent any time out in the wilderness during your trip). Yet, it was quiet and relaxing if you never wanted to turn on the TV or computer.
And if you want to visit with the furry friends, they are more than willing to provide company (especially during a thunderstorm).
Richard was a perfect host and cook who made me the best chicken soup I'd ever had ... but he made it because I'd been a bit under the weather on my trip. Wonderful.
The only negative ... I had to leave. Thanks Richard for making me feel so welcomed during my trip and I will make it a point to get back to Taos and Casa Gallina.

Like a second home

Imagine being swept into your home away from home by a kind and generous host, Richard. We arrived for a five day stay and found a basket of fresh eggs (chickens in backyard pen) and a bottle of champagne to help us celebrate our delayed honeymoon. A complete computer DSL setup was handy and the kitchen was perfect for our small meals. The eclectic assortment of colors, music and furnishings made for a spacious haven of relaxation. The room is basically half of a house and with its open concept and sunlight felt very inviting and relaxing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to anyone looking to have an earthy experience.

A refreshing experience

Casa Gallina was heaven after a week's worth of busy work and city life. Although we stayed there for only a couple of days, this home away from home provided the perfect abode to relax and rejuvenate for the weekend. The charm of the place lies in its well-chosen artifacts, decorations and furniture that creates a laid-back yet chic ambience. But I also would look forward to Richard, the owner's, great efforts to make you feel at home with great wine and cheese and eggs from the chickens outside and fruits from the garden. Our stay at Taos would have simply been incomplete and unfulfilling without the great experience we had at Casa Gallina!

off the beaten path ... and loving it!

by TripAdvisor Member ruggedcoast

Casa Gallina is everything that the other guests have said.... refreshing, tranquil, beautiful, warm and heavenly. As soon as we walked into the Barred Rock Adobe, we knew this was going to be a wonderful and relaxing trip. We were home. Well – at least for the week. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what else I could add to this...except, how right across the street there are 4 beautiful horses. And a sheep that thinks he's one of them. We would get up early and wander on over to them and enjoy them in the dewy mist of morning. Or the chickens that needed to share all that's been going on in their life. They clucked - we listened. Or at night on a clear, cloudless evening...how we could see every star in the universe. Magnificent!! These are just a few of the truly great experiences we have had at Casa Gallina. Oh - And if you’re into hiking - Richard is a wonderful resource. He was very happy to share his knowledge of some terrific trails to explore. He’s really created something wonderful, and I’m glad he has shared it with us.

Almost Heaven

Again, not to sound redundant, but this home was a marvelous place to stay- amazingly close and convenient to Taos but isolated enough to enjoy the silence of the mountains. The Barred Rock Adobe was an island of welcome, and Richard an excellent host and source of information. Not to mention the dogs and the chickens and the horses down the road!!
I cannot be enthusiastic enough about my oh too short stay at Casa Gallina.

Awesome Room in Taos!

by TripAdvisor Member Kate1492

Very Taos with adobe and kiva fireplace! Nicely tucked away. Exceptional attention to detail. And lots of details! The innkeeper is an outstanding host!! And a wonderful cook! Truly a very comfortable place to get away!

Comments