Hot Springs Inn Magnuson Hotel

2270 N Date , (formerly Best Western), Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, 87901, United States
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Travelocity

More about Truth or Consequences

Geronimo Springs MuseumGeronimo Springs Museum

Otero County Court HouseOtero County Court House

Hot Springs DistrictHot Springs District

Onsen enthusiastsOnsen enthusiasts

Best weather in New Mexico

by LadyK

I'm moving to New Mexico, but I don't know WHERE in New Mexico. I'd decided on T or C and then found out there's cold weather there! In the desert! Shows ya how much I know. What I'd like is to find a place in New Mexico that is very low to no humidity, no snow, day time lows in "winter" in the 70's, summer no hotter than in the 90s. I like green...even if it's just lots of desert grass and cacti.

I'm a metro gal...Philadelphia, New York, Ft. Lauderdale etc. so assume I'll face a culture shock, but I'd at least like to be close to a Walmarts! LOL

Is T or C the place for me or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks Kate

by stappm

T & C.... is an odd little town, we spent the night there on a road trip last summer.... my friend had graduated from college in Socorro, just North of T & C, and per the Frommers Guide the nearest charming/nice accomodations were in T&C.... We stayed at the Spa there, Sierra Grande Resort & Spa, I believe... the experience was something out of the twilight zone...the town was kinda artsy/bohemian, dry - no alcohol, older community - everyone with a pulse has moved on...... very desert.... cacti

Try Las Cruces (further south), the desert climates are very cold in the winter.....but should be better further South.... and Las Cruces is a bigger town... now there may even be a walmart there (not in T&C).... and they are about an hour drive out of El Paso and there is definitely a Walmart there.

by LadyK

I must admit my pulse has slowed considerably at 55 but I'm not ready to hang up the spurs quite yet. Thanks for your insight.

by stappm

Did not mean to offend but really, 55 is not old....
the fifties are the new 40's.

by LadyK

Oh my. No offense taken. I meant that I don't mind a town like that, but would like a little bit of fun stuff happening:)

To tell you the truth I wouldn't mind being 30 again....or 40.

Thanks too for your response. Gosh, I guess what I want doesn't exist. :(

by AlbuqRay

Wow, Kate, tough constraints weather-wise. I am trying to think of anywhere that might meet your criteria. Maybe a high jungle place like Coroico, Bolivia, but not any place in NM. If you are willing to have two homes, you might enjoy Santa Fe in the summer and the Phoenix area in the winter. I lived in Las Cruces for 21 years and really enjoyed it. Because of the university, there is actually much to do there for a town its size (~100,000 now). I have been gone for a while now, but because Mark Medoff lived there, the local theater group was excellent. There is definitely a Walmart, et al. and El Paso/Juarez (big city) is close. You would also have the benefits of living in a tricultural area. However!! Although the relatively high elevation (3900') makes for cool evenings and mornings in the summer, it also means cold nights in the winter. As always, life is full of tradeoffs. :)

by prometheus

From what you want, I think you'd be happier in Tucson, Arizona.

by dtowns98

Kate,
I just endured the "Culture Shock" myself moving from Orlando to NM. I'd lived in FL for over 50 yrs and wanted to "move-on". The humidity was crazy. I traveled all over NM to see it all. We liked two places during our tour. One was Ruidoso, it was a quaint small pine filled skiing town, but we found out it got rather COLD in the winter and only about 70-75 in the summer. Then there was Silver City, that's were we are now. Its a town of 12,000 @ a 6000 ft elevation. It has great mountain views and mild temps. The humidity is most always very low, so when its cool outside its still pleasent. They say its one of the best places in the US to retire because of its small town atmoshere and its four gentle seasons. We moved in in mid-August and have not turned on the AC yet. Even when it was 95 outside, with the low humidity it was nice inside. It is now 11/02 and today it was 75 and tonight down to 45. They say it snows 3-4 times in the winter, and its usually melted by mid-day. And yes, we have a SUPER Wal-mart! Give it a look, try www.Silvercity.org. We like it and the real estate is very reasonable!

Travel Tips for Truth or Consequences

sun and and getting wet

by dmac733

Bring your swim trunks for swimming.
They have a big Lake here and Hot Springs
you can take baths in. Summer dress lite, sun screen, big hat and bring your swim gear. You won't find many Mosquitos here. They have a nice Lake here. Elephant Butte lake, you can fish, swim, ski, par sail behind a boat. Camp and hiking is also great here. Try the Hot Spring Baths in T or C the water is warm and good for you. Most are private so you don't even need swim suites.

cool down in apple town

by dmac733

Head out of T or C to Hillsboro a small town that is called a Semi-Ghost town. Although you would never know it during Labor Day when they have the Apple Fest. it is full of people from all over then. This town is in a very pretty area as you are going into the mountains and can feel cooler than T or C.

Ghost town

by dmac733

Kingston is just past Hillsboro and you might as well see Kingston it is a real Ghost Town.
And just as pretty as Hillsboro. If you like country drives you'll like this one. The web site below tell you how to get there, and what is there to see.

Chile Capital

by dmac733

Hatch just south of T or C about a 40 min ride has fun on Labor Day. In the late summer early fall you can buy fresh green and red chile in Hatch. Labor day is when you can attend the Hatch Labor Day weekend festival for good food,good fun and good people.

Basaic Truth or Consequences Page

by Basaic

"Historic Hot Springs District"

Truth or Consequences was originally famous for its medicinal hot springs. Then it became famous again for accepting a challenge from the TV Show to change its name to "Truth or Consequences after the show. Several towns applied but this one was accepted because the shows producers and host liked the town. One reason they liked it is the town has always been service oriented. The hot springs are still in operation and are very popular. The Historic Hot Springs District is worth seeing.

"County Court House"

Truth or Consequences is also the county seat and home to the county courthouse. Frankly, I found the courthouse rather bland. Not nearly as nice as some of the others in New Mexico.

"Geronimo Springs Museum"

Also in town is the very nice Geronimo Springs Museum. They have several displays about the history of the town the area and the people, in several buildings. This is a nice museum well worth the $5 admission price.

Comments