Riverbend Hot Springs

100 Austin, Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, 87901, United States

• dmac733's Profile Photo

T or C Hostel

This is in a nice area of town near river, hot springs and town center.

Unique Quality: Resort with complimentary hot springs.

Directions: Near the banks of the Rio Grande River.

More about Riverbend Hot Springs

Riverbend Hot Springs;Not what was expected

by TripAdvisor Member smcraig

My husband and I live close to two hours from Truth or Consequences New Mexico. We recently moved to New Mexico from Indiana and have such wonderful friends that they had decided to come down for a visit this past month. Wanting to show our guests a great time and make them feel that they are on vacation we started looking for a nearby hot spring to visit, thinking this would definitly be an experience of the land, and came across the Riverbend Hot Springs website. From what was shown to us on the site we believed it was convenient in distance and looked and sounded amazing, offering hot springs on the river, a coffee bar and the chance to have a relaxing massage.

When we arrived we were quite surprised to say the least. It was located in town(which didn't look like a good part of town either)and looked slightly rundown by first glance. However, because we had made reservations we thought we would go ahead and give it a try and put our discomfort hoping it wasn't as bad as it seemed. When given a tour we saw that the hot springs were more like jacuzzies back to back and very small, approximately 3-4'x3-4' in size. There were private springs but even if you were staying overnight they were an extra cost. The coffe bar seemed to be a three to four choice coffee machine outside on an old tiled bar. When we were shown to our room, it was a trailer, which was advertised, but the condition was not. An old gas stove was in the kitchen that needed to be lit by a lighter if you wanted to use it, dangerous anymore in my opinion, especially when the trailer was connected to another and so close to the rest. The pots and pans that were available were,if not rusted, grimmy and very old.

We were very dissapointed, felt terrible for taking such a dear friend to place where none of us felt comfortable and waisting a whole day. We spent $80 on the room. Had we wanted to sit in our own hot springs it would have been ten dollars each for an hour. To sum it up we were so incredibly uncomfortable and dissapointed that we decided to hop back in the car and go home. A total of four hours in the car for the day. AND, we didn't get our money back. The price you pay for comfort huh.

Sweet and Peaceful Place to Relax

by TripAdvisor Member Nelsarts

I used to live closer to T or C than I do now, and would go to Riverbend frequently to relax for a weekend. This was my first time back in nine years, and I am absolutely delighted with this little gem in the desert (and by the river). It was nice back then, though I did not enjoy the dorm accommodations immensely, and went strictly for the tub experience. This time, I stayed in a private room (shared bath and kitchen with two other rooms; but I had the kitchen and bath to myself while there), and paid $50 a night. Vast improvements have been made, and are being made. Flowerbeds are being planted, there are places to relax, places to visit with others, and just in general, little hints of love and contemplation all over the place. My room was quiet and comfortable, the place was very clean, the tubs were wonderful, staff was friendly, the location is superb (literally right next to the river)...and the town of T or C...a step back in time, an experience in history, a taste of the old west in the midst of a town that is slowly growing, modernizing, expanding. Anything one could need for an experience of either relaxing, rejuvenating, healing, touring, adventuring, boating, hiking, biking is readily had in T or C. There are restaurants and grocers, including health food stores, that offer many options. If you want a place to relax, possibly meet other folks from other parts of the world, and in general, enjoy yourself, Riverbend is a great place to stay. If, on the other hand, you tend to like a sterile, ordinary, super tidy and predictable environment that is corporately run, do not stay there...you will not enjoy it (if this is the case, you will probably not enjoy a visit to T or C, New Mexico either). Happy travels!!

Relaxing, Quirky Fun on the River

by TripAdvisor Member LiveWorkDream

Hot springs aficionados are a special breed, the kind of people that don't mind going off the beaten path to find those magical healing waters. If you've spent any time in the West, you'll know that there are lots of different kinds of hot springs gathering areas, from mudholes in the desert to high end spa resorts in tourist towns. Riverbend falls somewhere in the middle.

If you like offbeat, quirky places, this place is for you. Every room is different and has something for the adventurous traveler, from the old school dorms that cost just $27 a night, to the stand alone Casita house where you and a bunch of your closest friends can gather for the weekend for some soaking and celebrating. Room rates are a bargain, considering it covers your soaking time in the public springs. Yes, you do have to pay for private tubs ($10 for 1 hour, $5 for each extra), but it's still a bargain.

The property overlooks the RIo Grande, and is the only one in town that has such spectacular scenery. It's a relaxing setting and serves as a great place to meet some interesting people from all over the world.

If you're the kind of person that prefers to stay in chain hotels and expects turn down service and wake up calls, this place is not for you. If you expect to have brand new, sterile facilities with hospital corner sheets on your beds, don't come here, you're not going to find it.

But if you have an open mind, love the outdoors, are looking for some adventure, and like meeting new people, you won't be disappointed at Riverbend.

Fabulous Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member ApachePup

Absolutely wonderful! Nice accommodations, clean and bright, friendly service and very nice private and public baths overlooking the Rio Grand. My daughter took me for Mother's Day and we both had an amazing time. And the streets around Hot Springs Inn are a delight: quirky, friendly, funny and very interesting people and sites. A breath of fresh air and a truly relaxing and rejuvenating experience. If you're a person who likes a mint on your pillow and room service, this is not for you. But if you like something unusual and interesting and you have an adventurous spirit, this is the ticket! Sit, soak, relax and enjoy. Many thanks to the owners and their wonderful staff.

Good location but poor policies.

by TripAdvisor Member SeekingTheTruth

First, the Riverbend Hot Springs website makes the property appear nicer than it is in real life. Second, the staff is accommodating, namely Jake. Finally, the property is littered with all manner of odds and ends, dead plants (some still in their pots), weeds and old outdoor furniture, splinters included. Did I mention there is a lot of dead plants and weeds? In a few uncertain ways Riverbend Hot Springs had a very homey feel, and it others it reminded us of someone who spent too much time attending flea markets and too little time in their own front yard. The room we had, which was one of the most expensive on the property at $75 a night was nice and we could tell it was new. On the other hand, the bathroom sink was slow to drain (maintenance tried to repair it) and it forced us to use the kitchen sink to brush our teeth and wash our hands. My wife commented, more than once, that the bathroom had a stench, probably due to the clogged plumbing since the rest of the bathroom was clean and pleasant. Maybe, all of the above could have been overlooked had management not allowed, at 9:00 p.m. on Friday night a group of 17 people (all ages, all sizes, one ilk) to visit the hot springs.

You should know, Riverbend Hot Springs is open to the public, as are most of the hot springs facilities in Truth or Consequences and anyone can drive up, park their car, pay their fee and jump in the water with people paying to stay at the hotel. In our opinion and via our experience, this policy stinks (no pun intended). We were planning a nice, quiet, relaxing evening sharing the pools of hot springs overlooking the Rio Grande. Instead, we were put off by the large group and their loud, rude behavior to the point we were regulated to our room. Which resulted in a very disappointing evening.

In summation, although we did not meet the owner/proprietor we did see his picture on a poster and we both came to the conclusion the property is operated by a real-life hippie. And there is nothing wrong with that, if you like that kind of scene, but we’re no longer in college and we shouldn’t have to pay for it!

I am Refreshed!

by TripAdvisor Member xflannery

I would highly recommend the RiverBend. I love the whole down to earth feel. The staff is very friendly, and they are always to be found. I loved the community feel too, if you like meeting people, they have community pools, but if you want time by yourself they have private pools also. The rooms are very cute..the outside is rustic but the inside is nicely done in tile work and wood. My husband and daughter loved cooking on the grills they provided in the courtyard. They also were able to provided us with a number for some people that rent rafts and boats, so we went down the Rio Grande and loved the lazyness! And final, the mourning coffee was wonderful, they say they get from mexico....yum!

Riverbend Hot Springs......The Place to Stay!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member xmullennix

My wife and I went to T or C for the 4th of July weekend on our 10 year Anniversary. We stayed at Riverbend Hot Springs located at 100 Austin St. This place is excellent value for the money! It provided a vacation from the normal vacation! A unique rustic place mixed with alot of curb appeal and a retro feel that really makes the stay worth it and exciting. My family and I left wanting more of Riverbend!

They have everything conveniently located. Great views, the Rio Grande, Hot Springs, Ralph Edwards park, kayaking and tubing, shopping. Elephant Butte Lake isnt far away either. And they had the best coffee!!!! And it was free!!!! You cant beat free coffee!

Riverbend also has a variety of accomadations, you can get a room with King size beds, very nice, super clean and no smell of smoke! Recently remodled with beautiful tile work and well taken care of! Also they have RV and Camper hook ups located right there for easy access to the Hot Springs. They also had public hot springs and private hot springs. My family and I enjoyed both!

My recommendation to anyone who is a guest of Riverbend if you can only stay one night you wont be able to enjoy it as much if stayed three or four. I found it a "Escalation to Relaxation". The first day your still thinking about work, and things at home. The second day your starting to un-wind from the daily grind. By the third day your in total relaxation mode and you dont want to leave!!

There was so much to do you couldnt possibly enjoy Riverbend and T or C to the fullest by a one night stay. Riverbend is the place for me and my family and I'm sure it will be for you if you like to actually UN-WIND from life and have a relaxing, unforgettable experience!

A Diamond in the Rough

by TripAdvisor Member Big-Tito

Like many towns in New Mexico and other states, Truth or Consequences has probably seen better days but the charm and the rustic setting of the River Bend Resort made for an extremely pleasant and relaxing stay. Again, the place looks a little funky when you first arrive, but don't be fooled. The office is modern and the spa area is sell-maintained and sits right on the Rio Grande with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.
We stayed in the Casita which ran $110 for my wife, my 13 year old son and myself. It was well-equipped with a full kitchen and dining area and two bedrooms. It was very clean, furniture and appliances were modern and on the new side. The Casita was nicely decorated and quiet and the beds were large and comfortable.
The spa area (included in the room price) had five separate pools ranging form the most hot to the least hot (107 or so to 103). The two "coolest" pools sit right on the bank above the river and the view is spectacular. There is also a patio with padded chairs and lounge chairs that are shaded from the sun. Everyone we met at the spa was friendly and relaxed and people tended to chat amiably between soaks. For the more adventurous, there are steps that lead down to the Rio Grande which is cold and muddy but perfect for cooling off after a long soak (you can hang on to a rope that is attached to the dock). There is also a cold water outdoor shower for cooling off.
There are three private baths all well shielded for privacy and all facing the river. We didn't use them as the regular facilities were so nice.
I would recommend this place to anyone and am anxious to return. There is also a great cafe within walking distance called "Bar-B-Que on Broadway" that has great food at very reasonable prices.

A Wonderful Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member ralbaca

When my husband said to pick a place to get away for the weekend, I thought about the springs. I got on the internet and researched a few places in T or C. I picked the Riverbend. I am so glad that I did because: (1) it is close enough to walk to town but far enough to not hear the traffic, (2) the guests and the staff are VERY friendly, and last but not least (3) the rooms and the facilities are very clean. We enjoyed staying at Riverbend and we recommend it to whoever decides to come to T or C for a getaway weekend or just for an hour or 2 in the springs.

Comments