Crowne Plaza Hotel Albany City Center

State & Lodge Streets, Albany, New York, 12207, United States

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Albany City Center

Great Room...Awful Service

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza last weekend for a concert at the Pepsi Arena. You cannot beat the proximity to the venue if you are visiting Albany for a concert. The hotel itself is right downtown near some bars & restaurants as well if you are looking to go out for dinner/drinks.

The room was spacious and the beds comfortable. However, I was under the impression that Crowne Plaza hotels were a step up from the normal average hotel and the service level would follow. I guess I was wrong. The wait staff was rude and ignored my girlfriend and I on numerous occasions when we were hoping for a drink/food. With maybe 10 customers at the bar and 4 bartenders working, you would think the servers would be looking for someone to help. Throughout my stay I got the feeling that the staff was there just because they had to be, and weren't going to go out of their way to make anyone's stay more enjoyable.

Not a bad choice in Albany, but if you like to feel welcome at a hotel, this might not be your place.

Really nice

by TripAdvisor Member Momsdayout

Downtown Albany isn't much, but this is a really nice hotel. We booked an Executive Room, and it was beautiful - large, corner window, view, everything clean and looking new or well-maintained. The Executive Floor lounge is closed on weekends, but they gave us 10% off on food, beverages, and parking to make up for it, without being asked.

The staff was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was very good and reasonably priced. We didn't use the pool, but it looked good.

If you have a reason to go to Albany, this would be a great place to stay.

Crowne Plaza - clean, classy, near interstate

by TripAdvisor Member luvtakintrips

We stayed at the Albany downtown Crowne Plaza 9/1/06. The rooms are large and luxurious. There are really nice bath products and complimentary sleep aids. The hotel is not too far in the center of the city...it's about a 2-minute driver from Interstate 787. This is the most upscale hotel you'll find in the Albany area.

It's important to note that the parking garage attached to the hotel is undergoing construction. Instead of being connected directly to the hotel, you'll have to walk around the corner to access the hotel. Not a major distraction, but a minor inconvenience. Also, the hotel's Irish pub is currently undergoing renovations, so late night drinks are not available.

Still, for a quiet night's sleep in an upscale hotel, consider the Crowne Plaza.

good overall

by TripAdvisor Member stevefric

I stayed here for one night on my way back from Toronto. We encountered a problem right away as the bell staff and valet seemed like they would rather talk to each other than attend to us. I parked the car myself rather than wait. The people at the desk were friendly and helpfull checking in and out. The rooms are larger than average but the hallway noise comes through worse than at most hotels that I have stayed in.The hotel seems to be old but is in pretty good shape. Room service was fast and the food was of good quality. The breakfast in the morning was also good and less expensive than most city hotels. I would stay here again.

1981 All Over Again

by TripAdvisor Member UnhappyfromBoston

I just returned from having attended a conference that was held at the Crowne Plaza. I must say that this is one of the worst establishments at which I have stayed, and I travel frequently.

1) The bed was extremely uncomfortable. While the hotel advertises having pillow-top mattreses, don't be fooled. The mattress had an inadequate mattress cover. The linens were also of below-average quality.

2) The lighting in the bathroom and foyer was particularly inadequate. The faux wood doors (circa 1981) further darkened the rooms and hallways.

3) The elevators were particularly frightening. A rather large gap exists between the elevator cars and the floors. Looking down a fifteen story elevator shaft isn't that enjoyable.

4) Peeling, warped walpaper is evident throughout the hotel. Even the wallpaper behind the front desk needs replacement.

With respect to the food:

Having a full-breakfast at Webster's, the hotel's restaurant, was an even worse experience. For starter's, the mustard yellow vinyl seats are extremely seedy and covered with stains. That pales in comparison to the 35 minute wait for my eggs to arrive. When they finally arrived there was no explanation, yet the restaurant was nearly empty. Moreover, when they did arrive the unbuttered toast was simply too cold to butter.

That same day my traveling companion and I thought we'd try the hotel's bar, Kelsey's, for appetizers. Well, we were informed that they would be serving a limited menu, because the kitchen needed to prepare for a tour bus that was arriving. One would think that Kelsey's would be catering to the 100's of conference people staying at the hotel, but I suppose that's expecting too much from the Crowne Plaza.

This hotel was a major disappointment, particularly because its website's photos portray the hotel in a positive light. I suggest that for their next photo shoot they include some pictures of the frayed chairs that are in plain view in the lobby. It's truly astonishing that a hotel such as this has so many positive reviews. Perhaps my standards are too high, but don't say that you weren't warned.

Very Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member enz44

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on one of our trips to Albany. The hotel was very nice and we found it to be in a great location for someone that was there for pleasure. The state buildings are very close to this hotel. You do have to pay for parking and it did seen like a little more of a hassle to check in, but in all this is a great hotel and one I would stay at again.

Crowne Plaza Hotel - Great for concert goers!

by TripAdvisor Member VermontMike

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza many times for concerts at the Pepsi Arena or as it is now called the Times Union Center. The hotel is just around the corner and there are some great bars one block below the hotel. If you are headed to a concert in Albany, this is the place to stay.

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member SimL

This hotel was fine, the service was good, the room was clean. The craftmanship about the bathroom tiles and fixtures could have been better, ie. hot/cold water reversed...Other than that everything was good.

Most Comfortable Bed I have ever slept in!!!

by TripAdvisor Member TaxMom

I attended a concert (AFI) with my 13 yr old daughter and 2 of her friends. This hotel had the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I wish I could have one for home. Very clean, the staff was very helpful. Concert was in walking distance of hotel. I never realized Albany was such a pretty city. I would like to go back just for a good nights sleep. The price was very reasonable for such an upscale hotel. $100 for the night!!!

Comments