Extendedstay Albany Capital

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 88 reviews
ExtendedStay Booking.com

Horrible Experience - Worst Ever for a Hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2010

I stayed at the Albany Extended Stay America for 12 days out of my planned 45. After the second week's "weekly" refresh, I awoke the next morning covered in bug bites. I called the front desk and they said they would move me to another room after I washed all my clothes in case they had spread through the room. After spending four hours packing up my room, re-washing all the clothes I had just washed the night before and moving into another room. I went to use the bathroom in my new room. As I sat on the toilet, water dripped from the ceiling overhead onto my head. I couldn't even use the toilet in my new room without an umbrella!

I went down to the front desk and told them that if I had to move again, after spending the last 4 hours moving, I was going to move to a different establishment. They couldn't fix the leak so I checked out. I asked for a refund for my stay, and they offered to give me a refund for the unused days I had prepaid. The clerk said he "wasn't authorized" to do more than that. When I received my statement, I found that they reimbursed me for only 1 of the 2 unused nights, because I had checked out after their hotel time requirement of 11:00 AM. Probably because I spent from 8AM - after Noon just moving rooms! You think?

I spoke to the assistant manager the next day and he said he "wasn't authorized" to help me and I should contact the general manager, who wasn't in, but usually was (whatever). I left multiple messages and emails, and even stopped in twice. Finally I received an email nearly 48 hours later saying 'I'm off to a conference, but will try to resolve this when I get back in another 48 hours'. The email that I then received was "I've never had anyone ask for all their money back before." Really? I've never woken up at a hotel covered in bug bites and had the ceiling leaking on my head while I went to the bathroom before!

I then received an email from the senior guest relations manager saying she "wasn't authorized" to resolve the issue and they had opened a claim with their insurance company to "determine liability". So now I'm 'liable' for being bitten by bugs and having their ceiling leak on me?

Seriously - what a joke. Not only was the hotel experience terrible, but they demonstrated a lesson in "How not to resolve a complaint and make a customer even more upset".

Horrible stay. Horrible building. Horrible customer service and problem resolution skills all the way up the chain. Horrible rating.

Nearby Extendedstay Albany Capital

• Kitchenette
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Albany Travel Forum

Need advice about Albany, New York State? Visit the Travel Forum for Albany and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Albany hotel reviews

Park Playhouse
Escorted to Wonderful Pizza
New York State Capitol
Things to Do
Great Pizza and occassional dixieland jazz
ST PETERS PROTESANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH
niece took us here...
RETRO DINNER WITH GREAT BURGERS
Empire State Plaza -- Drug-induced Eggs
Things to Do
Hardly anywhere to sit, but good food
DRIVE
For William Kennedy fans
Quick overview of historical Albany
Washington Street Armory
Things to Do
Huge and fascinating museum!
Things to Do
Jack's is a piece of Albany history.
Best burgers in Albany!
Restaurants
Huge burritos, delicious fries, awesome setting!
Theatre under the stars!
Things to Do
Amazing Italian cuisine in a beautiful setting.
50's Retro