Red Carpet Inn Albany

Costs 26% less but rated 33% lower than other 2 star hotels

More about Albany

SITTING AREASITTING AREA

SUNY Albany CampusSUNY Albany Campus

capitol at Albany, based on Paris' Hotel de Villecapitol at Albany, based on Paris' Hotel de Ville

Moving to NY State???

by NYStateBound

Having been a native of New York CITY, but not living there for many years, I am very hesitant to move to New York STATE but my husband may accept a position in Albany. We wouldn't want to live in Albany but in an outlying suburb. If anyone as any advice or links for kid-friendly areas to live, I would appreciate it. We have to make a decision soon!

Thanks,
Patricia

RE: Moving to NY State???

by BadDrachenfels

My buddy lives in town and likes it. Lived there a long time. Saratoga springs is a nice area as is Lake George Albany is nice but the winters are very cold.

RE: Moving to NY State???

by nancy531

We live in Guilderland, which is just West of the Albany city line. Schools are great and everything is close. Delmar is also close and very cute with good schools. I would avoid Troy or Schenectady for the kids...but the suburbs of those places (East Greenbush on the Troy side of the river or Niskayuna near Schenectady) are fine.

There is so many great qualities of this area ...like I wrote on my home page...if you want city - Boston and NYC are only 2 1/2 hours away...if you want country just drive 20 minutes in any direction from Albany. I would go for it if I were you...I think you will find friendly people and lots to do.

Re: Moving to NY State???

by PeacemakerOni

Hey,
My boyfriend actually just accepted a position at one of the major companies in the area. We moved about a month ago, and we did a lot of searching around different neighborhoods. As another poster said, Guilderland is a nicer area, as is Colonie if you want to live pretty close to the center of Albany itself. If you don't mind a 25min car ride into Albany, Niskayuna is a gorgeous suburb. We found an apartment there, but if you are looking to buy a house there are many currently on the market in Niskayuna that look quite nice and are pretty affordable. It's a much quieter area, and feels a lot safer. I see kids running around all the time, and I've heard the schools in the area are good. We have really loved this area so far, so I would definitely recommend it.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Re: Moving to NY State???

by lhaun1973

I grew up in Clifton Park, NY, which is about 20 min. south of Albany and loved it. It is quiet, but developed and has one of the best schools in the area (Shenendehowa Central). Very safe community and great for the children!

Travel Tips for Albany

Advanced Old Age, Advanced Education

by mrclay2000

As with many places in the East, Albany marks its large share of historical associations with conspicuous placards. Near the City Hall stands one of the city's lushest areas, a small park with tall and ancient trees. While most eyes would divert from the Romanesque towers of the city government office with difficulty, the nearby park marks the location where George Washington undertook the command of the rebel forces in our Revolution -- "under the grandfather of the elm(?)" presently shading the park.

Huge and fascinating museum!

by ArtiAbsinthium

The New York State Museum is a great place to go in Albany, whether you're interested in art, history, or archaeology. The museum features permanant exhibits on New York State history, including a full size replica of an Iroquois longhouse, a full Mastadon skeleton found in Cohoes, and a new exhibit entitled "World Trade Center: Rescue Recovery Response." There is also a large collection of fire engines and a hall of minerals. Traveling exhibits are also featured in the museum. This is a large and extensive museum, and definitely worth a visit if you're in Albany.

Also, it's completely FREE! (Though you can make donations if you're feeling generous.)

Tour from an Albany Native

by ArtiAbsinthium

I was born and grew up in Albany, NY, and this city will always be home to me. A lot of people claim that there's nothing to do here, but that is far from being true. Albany is a lively, vibrant city brimming with history, art, and culture.

Comments