110 Sagamore Road, Bolton Landing, New York, 12814, United States

Satisfaction Average

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Spectacular

We stayed in the lodge with a view of the lake. Our room was large, clean & luxurious. The Sagamore is a meticulous, beautiful, elegant hotel. Charming, comfortable, so much to see & do ... Enjoyed swimming in the lake, water sports, tennis courts, fitness center, hiking the trails ...

Unique Quality: Beautiful & elegant

Directions: Island on Lake George

More about The Sagamore

Beautiful wedding destination

The Sagamore on Lake George is one of the most beautiful locations on the East Coast for a lakeside wedding. It is also one of the only places where you can plan an outdoor wedding and yet have a perfectly beautiful alternative if the weather doesn't cooperate. The bridal party walks down an "aisle" that consists of a magnificent outdoor stairway descending from a glassed-in, soaring veranda to a lovely site overlooking the lake. There are so many amenities adding to the experience, not the least of which is the staff of wedding coordinators who take care of every detail of the event as if it were their own. Although our event was in the summer of 2004, I understand the main dining room has been totally renovated (it hardly needed it) to make The Sagamore even more outstanding. A Sagamore wedding can be as casual or formal as you like, but it will always be an incomparable experience and memory.

Like a NJ Country Club...but very clean

by TripAdvisor Member JudyDe

I booked a discount room (Travelzoo) at the Sagamore for my boyfriend's birthday. We weren't there five minutes when a parking officer yelled at him for idling his car in a fire lane. We got to our room and it was a sort of basement. We asked for a better room and were told the hotel was full -- on a Sunday night. We tried to make the best of it -- the setting was lovely if snooty and service at the outdoor pub was perfectly nice, notwithstanding the bad seventies music from someone's wedding party. After a $15 appetizer we agreed to leave. Ended up at a highway Howard Johnson's -- much nicer people, reasonable and tasty food, and free Wi-Fi. (The Sagamore wanted to charge us $15 per computer per day.) Thrilled to have escaped with only a $35 charge.

Price exceeds value

We arrived at the Sagamore on a Sunday afternoon for a two night stay. We had booked a garden view room in the main historic hotel. Check-in was pleasant and efficient. The hotel is a large white wedding cake Victorian on the shores of Lake George. The back of the hotel slopes down toward the lake in a sweep of terraces that is filled with plenty of Adirondack chairs and tables for relaxing and enjoying the beautiful view. The hotel grounds are large, well manicured, and laced with paths for walking. Our third floor room was clean, and although not spacious, amble in size. We had requested a quiet location and were given the room at the end of the hall away from the elevators. The décor of the historic hotel room is comfortable and well appointed, but I would not define it as luxurious. Each morning complimentary coffee was placed on a table in front of the elevators in the hall. We only discovered this service by accident one morning upon leaving the hotel…it would have been better if the hotel would have informed guests of this service in some capacity. Both evenings we dined at Sagamore restaurants. Service each night was good, but quality of food was marginal. The second evening of our stay we dined at the Trillium restaurant. Never has man eaten so little and paid so much. Portions were minuscule. The entrée of fish arrived enveloped in a huge plate without one shred of accompanying vegetable, potato or grain of rice. Two tiny silver dollar size pieces of fish swam alone in a tablespoon of sauce. Our meal of two appetizers and two entrees cost over $110 and we both left hungry. On the other hand, we were favorable impressed with the Sagamore concierge service. We encountered friendly, informative and professional concierges who provided maps and accurate directions. The Sagamore will not be on our “must return” list of hotel properties. We feel that the price we paid for accommodations and food exceeded the value we received.

Bottom line, this place is a waste of money

I feel as though I've traveled enough to know a good hotel, good service, etc, and the Sagamore doesn't fit the bill. Oh there's a bill alright, and a big one, but what you get in return isn't justifiable.

Pro's:
- lake george is pretty
- a sense of history? (i'm struggling to find another pro, so this is it)

Con's:
- you're on a lake so one would assume you could do some great swimming. not the case, you get a small roped in swimming area, about 20 feet down from the boat landing. if you like sniffing and drinking gas, this is your place.
- workers and vehicle traffic EVERYWHERE and at all times. you can expect vehicle traffic in the road around the property, in front of your room, on the sidewalk as you walk around, on the dirt road by the lake, etc. no offense, but if you pay $300+ per night, get all the workers out of sight.
- bedroom was tiny, and the lodge i stayed in was far enough from the rest of the facilities to make it convenient.
- fee's fee's everywhere. if you're bringing more than 2 people, hide them on your way in and sneak them in. $50 extra per person, come on! 18% gratuity on everything?

Bottom line, I'd rather stay at one of the more honkey-tonk lodges on the lake road on the way to the sagamore.

Our stay in the Lodges

by TripAdvisor Member tigerlillie37

We stayed at the Sagamore the week of 7/24. After reading the reviews here, I was apprehensive about what we might find. We were paying full freight at high season rates, so there was a lot of room for disappointment. We had reserved three lodge rooms. As the property photos indicate, the lodges have a 1970’s feel that may turn off some people. However, the bathroom fixtures, bedding and linens were of high quality, and I found my level of satisfaction increased as we settled in. The service was excellent and the staff was friendly and attentive. Is this hotel it a bit overpriced? Probably. However, it was peak season, and in my experience all hotels in resort locations (even the cheapo ones) are over-priced during peak season. We did the Lobsterbake (expensive, but they went all-out on the food and the atmosphere was very enjoyable). We’re not much for formal hotel dining rooms, so we ate all of our other meals off-site in Bolton Landing (Frank’s Place is GREAT). If you're on a tight budget the high price is a turnoff, but all in all, I’d say the Sagamore was what we were hoping for, i.e, a relaxing, family resort in a great location.

Summer Vacation

Our family of five just returned from a week staying in a two bedroom lodge condo at The Sagamore. The condo was spacious and clean although the furnishings were antiquated. For example, the televisions were the size of a lap top screen. The condo did have a lovely setting with decks overlooking the trees and lake. The condos have twice a day maid service and access to all the resort amenities with charge privileges.
The resort itself was beautiful. The staff was incredibly nice. We enjoyed all of the activities including sailing, golf and tennis.
We ate in all the resort restaurants. I would strongly advise advance reservations for the lobster bake and the golf course restaurant which seems to book up days in advance. The food ranged from good (casual) to excellent. Be prepared for all meals to be expensive. However you can easily leave the resort and walk into Bolton Landing for a far less expensive meal.
My only complaint is that in light of the expense of our unit ($900 per night with tax), there should have been some upgrading .

Elegant, But Miss the Restaurants

by TripAdvisor Member judyannaffronti

We (3 couples) stayed in the lowest level Lodge rooms last week. My room was a non-smoking, but it definitely reeked of cigar smoke. The rooms were scrupulously clean, but damp and dark with a tiny terrace area that looked out on a dark little garden area we called "the hole". The hotel is very beautiful and elegant; the staff very helpful and accommodating. We ate in the Pub the first night for what we thought would be an inexpensive dinner. It was not! The food was overpriced and mediocre at best. Pub food for a couple with one drink and no dessert should not cost $72.00. We splurged on The Trillium one night. It was very disappointing. Portions were small and prices were NYC expensive. 4 of the 6 of us thought their entrees were tasteless. If you buy ANYTHING there, they will tack on 18%, so bear this in mind when you tip. The views of lake and mountains were fabulous and the best thing was having a drink on the Veranda and enjoying the beautiful views. Definitely take a boat out on the lake; it's an experience not to be missed. Sorry, Sagamore, but Mohonk is a better value.

Not for the budget minded

My husband, 11 year old son and I just returned from a week at The Sagamore. I am a "histoic hotel freak" and this one did not disappoint. I would not recommend staying at the lodges if you are looking for an elegant experience. We had a suite in the main hotel. It was very spacious, immaculate, and the furniture was new with an antique feel. Our bath was marble with a historic feel, but always clean. My son used the sofa bed and it did not contain any "surprises" like some other hotels. I have stayed in many five star hotels. I don't know if I would say this is or is not. The service is very good, but laid back Adorondack good. Not kiss your butt Manhatten good. As a guest in the main hotel, you are valet parked every time you go in and out. A nice touch. The breakfast buffet was amazing. We ate like kings and queens and usually skipped lunch because we were still full. It was $17 for an adult. The fresh squeezed juice was to die for and the freash omlets were my fav! We had drinks on the Veranda at night. A very nice touch. We read the morning paper looking out at the lake. We ate at the Club Grill and loved it. It was similar to a NY steak house. Try the private lable Cabernet. At $28.00 a bottle it's very good! We did the pub twice. It's just okay but we needed a break. The Ben and Jerry's in town was a favorite walk for desert. We enjoyed this hotel very much. If you are concerned about price, don't stay here. It is very expensive. My only hotel complaint was the other guests. My son was taught at a very early age that you are expected to act like a gentlmen when you are at a resort. At 3 he could sit still and behave in a restaurant. I would take him anywhere with out reservation. Many of the guest have not learned that you can teach your children to sit down, be respectful and eat like a gentlemen. That I found disappointing. Some of the guest were loud and inconsiderate. They were few but noticable.
As for activities. We went to Lake Placid and saw all the Olympic sites. My hubby and son rode the bobsled. They loved it! They also went to the top of the ski jump. (I hate heights). We saw the torch and the ice rink and walked around the town. The drive to Lake Placid offers some amazing scenery. We saw waterfalls and mountain vistas like nothing we had seen before. We thought the Warren County bike trail was great. We took bikes from the hotel on our bike rack and rode the trail. Sorry this is so long, I use this site so much I just wanted to give back!

mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member TheDogPark

I recently stayed at the Sagamore with my family for 6 days in June. We had a nice stay, but there were plenty of lows points mixed in with the highs. In the interest of expediency, I'll break it down into lists so you can make your own assessments based on what's important to you and your family.

Positives
Beautiful grounds. The natural environment is beautiful and they clearly put a lot of effort in maintaining the natural beauty of their island.
Good layout. For those who enjoy kicking back by the water and don't like to fight for lounge chairs, there are plenty of options. There are shady spots, sunny spots, sandy (man made) beach areas with umbrellas, and even chairs on the wooden decks. There are also plenty of swimming choices, including an indoor pool and at least 3 roped lake swimming areas - all have lifeguards. I was also impressed when my wife and I took a seat by an empty, roped off swimming area and the staff took the initiative to send over a lifeguard and open the pool just in case we were willing to brave the cold water.
Friendly staff. Note that I said "friendly", not professional. People were always courteous and attentive. We only ran into one surly waitress during our entire stay.

Negatives
Unprofessional. When the staff were either not on-the-clock, or off to the side (I assume thinking they were out of sight and/or ear shot), their demeanor was much more in line with highschool kids working their first jobs. Nothing against teenagers, but none of us were crisp pros at our first job. Point being that there was little or no management oversight, so when the staff weren't pressed into the front line to help customers, they were goofing off. Examples included wait staff huddling up and giggling when not waiting on tables; people on break outside smoking, yelling, and running around; event staff throwing one of their female colleagues into the lake; night shift staff biking through the parking lot to work with t-shirts on and their pressed work shirt flapping behind them like a cape. While none of this is offensive or insulting to the guests, I mention it because it's more of what you would expect from a Motel 6, not a "resort" that prides themselves on service.
Maid Service. Our room was never cleaned before 3pm. And when it was cleaned, it was a marginal job. Furthermore, despite their allegiance to environmental standards (i.e. "in the interest of saving water, if you don't want us to change your towels, leave them on the racks, if you do want new ones put them on the floor"), our towels were changed every day...even ones we didn't use.
Rooms. We stayed at one of the lodges. Not impressed. Everything is very dated (and not in a rustic, romatic way) and musty. One of the rooms we used flooded because there was a leak from the tub. This soaked the carpet, and I mean soaked it! Both of the bottom floor rooms we used (there were 4 families with us on this trip) had dehumidifiers in them, which told me this type of leak was not uncommon.

Bottom line
I wouldn't stay here again. Despite the beautiful setting, the facilities just aren't very impressive. I would look into one of the B&Bs in the area instead. Many people who have slammed this hotel have done so with a bitter taste around price. I would agree with them, it's a bit over priced, but even if it was reasonably priced, these same issues hold.

Comments