279 Butler St, Brooklyn, New York, 11217, United States

Satisfaction Average

Rated 14% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Brooklyn

Il FornettoIl Fornetto

Waiting for my drinkWaiting for my drink

My aunt Barbi catching some raysMy aunt Barbi catching some rays

The Beaux-Arts BuildingThe Beaux-Arts Building

Brooklyn Botanic Garden & Brooklyn Museum

by alvi21

Dear VTers,

I'm visiting friends in NYC next month (March 2011) and would like to visit several places in Brooklyn. In order to have a better idea of my itinerary planning, I'd like to ask experienced VTers how much time (estimated average) one might spend at the following places:

- Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Brooklyn Museum

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alphée

by angiebabe

Hi I loved the Brooklyn Botanic gardens - think I only needed a couple of hours - nice Japanese garden and Zen garden - I dont know how it will be in March though just coming out of winter or whether you will have nice spring blossoms already by then - when I was there it was autumn with beautiful autumn colours to take my time getting photos of

by von.otter

March will not be a good month to visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden; there will not be anything in bloom. Spend more time at the museum. A standard two hours there should be enough. This museum has some great paintings.

by gilabrand

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is FREE on weekdays through March 13. The magnolias begin to bloom in mid-March.

by ter1413

Re the museum...depends on the exhibit IMO.

Travel Tips for Brooklyn

BEACHES

by moiraistyx

I am an ocean lover if there ever was one and when we took a stroll on the beach along the Coney Island Boardwalk, I was absolutely disgusted with the amount of garbage and nasty stuff lying on the shores. Every few inches it seemed like there was bottle caps, soda bottle, litter of all sorts and even some crack viles. Patrick wanted to go swimming, but I wouldn't let him out of fear of what would wash up on him. I did let him get his feet wet.

Railroad Apartments in Brooklyn

by yooperprof

My friends Lucy and Trey live in a "railroad apartment" in a partially rehabbed building not far off Bedford Ave. They are called "railroads" not because they are close to subway lines - although they may be, but because they are long and narrow and compact like Pullman Cars on RR trains. Typically, there are no hallways nor closets, and in order to get to the bath or toilet you have to go through one or two bedrooms. It's a way of life that many New Yorkers put up with. Lucy and Trey have done a lot to their place to make it nice - fresh paints, polished floors, new appliances in the kitchen - but it is still a tight space.

Historic Neighborhoods

by chodearm

Many parts of this boro have neighborhoods reserved as "historic districts". Just walking through some will help discover some beautiful architecture and the ever so famous BROWNSTONES. One of my favorite streets to walk down is Milton Street in Greenpoint, which boasts many 3 old churches that have been/ or are in the process of being restored. The block starts at Manhatten avenue and continues to West street. At its head lyes a pristine cathedral and at its feet lyes factories and graffitti along with the east river.

That house there is on Noble street, and is my favorite new restoration in the hood.

If you can get your hands on a...

by xl100

If you can get your hands on a bicycle Brooklyn is a wonderful place to see. By car everything is a blur and by subway you are underground. Walking is the best way to see anything but when time is limited and there is a lot of space to cover bicycle is the way to go.

Middle Eastern Rave

by TempNomad about Tanoreen

I just found this place, and I wish I'd been more alert to Bay Ridge options! It's amazing. The atmosphere is comfortable and it smells delicious. Many of the cold dishes are on display under the glass counter, but it's table service.

Rawia Bishara, the owner and chef, visited each table while we ate to see how everything was. That was a pleasant surprise.

Check out the New York Metro link below to search for a glowing review. They are also in Zagat's. I had never tried dandelion greens before...so good! I got the vegetarian medley so I could sample several items. There were also a couple of vegetarian specials that sounds great. My husband got a lamb dish...a huge portion!

Comments