Nu Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Nu Hotel

Nu Hotel, get a grip

by TripAdvisor Member frostnip

My parents stayed at this hotel this past weekend since I live in the neighborhood. They made their reservation through the hotel, which was probably their first mistake, so the rate was almost $350 per night, which is expensive, but cheaper than the nearby Marriott.

The place is minimally decorated in a contemporary fashion that featured wood and chrome furnishings, white linens and a strange white fluffy rug that a month from now you will not want to tread upon barefoot. Since the hotel is less than 2 months old, everything seemed clean almost to the point of sterility; which in a way is kind of comforting when everything is white.

Underneath the crisp decor lies a Holiday Inn. The air conditioning unit clanked on and off all night, the furniture is actually quite cheaply made, breakfast is coffee in airpots and plates of pastry left in a corner of the lobby lit by a neon sign that declares: 'Nu Bar'. My father mentioned the clanking to the receptionist at checkout, and she would not reduce his rate. I'm sure they haven't heard the last of him.

This hotel has a lot of artificial trimmings of a hip hotel ('Nu Hotel' gummy bears, $5 fiji water, etc). As a local, the whole package makes me nervous for my neighborhood, which really doesn't need anymore charmless faux-fabulous cheapo businesses. We are already at critical mass on that front.

I think the Nu Hotel needs to find its identity and have pride in being an inexpensive, no-frills hotel, and drop the pretense. Then, charge accordingly.

Great Hotel Near Brooklyn Cruise Port

by TripAdvisor Member Buffy13

I was booked on a cruise leaving from the Brooklyn Cruise Port and wanted to find a hotel nearby. I read about the NU Hotel which had just opened in July, and used mapquest to discover that it was about 1 1/2 miles from the cruise port. It is located on Smith St. and has good restaurants within a block, as well a subway stop with lines that take you into midtown Manhattan within 20min. Decor is modernist chic. The room we had was spare, but comfortable with a good-sized bathroom and huge walk-in shower, The NU Hotel serves a very nice continental breakfast (Great pastries, selection of juices and fresh fruit). It also has free wi-fi, workout room, and a very helpful and friendly staff. I recommend it highly, especially for cruise passengers with ships leaving from the Brooklyn Cruise Port. You can avoid the traffic and crowds of NYC trying to get to the port

Love Love Love

by TripAdvisor Member sagebrushdweller

It has been one month from the day that we stayed at the Nu Hotel and we are still talking about the wonderful experience. The Nu Hotel came as a recommendation from the not yet opened Jane Hotel. My first encounter was with Mario at the front desk for reservations. I felt at home immediately. I have a list of staff names that I can not find at the moment. It is not everyday that one cares what everyone's name is but we were so impressed with this young group of individuals.
Our room was clean and very comfortable. It was always a treat to come into the calmness of our room after the buzz of the day or night!
The trip was a stretch financially for us , but despite this fact when we were offered free accommodations with friends one night into our trip, we loved the Nu Hotel so much we elected to stay put, even though we would have stayed for free elsewhere.
You will never need to go anywhere for breakfast besides the hotel lobby. I really enjoy my morning food but needed nothing more than what was offered every morning by a professional yet warm staff. I guess you can tell we were impressed!!!!!!

A New and Fresh Brooklyn Experiance

by TripAdvisor Member shawm77

Where should I start? Whata beautiful experience at NU Hotel, as time I checked in till I checked out! I have arrived in Brooklyn on Saturday afternoon and only stayed there one night (wish could have been more) the staffs were extremely friendly and very helpful with the subway directions and local trendy spots to visit for the night out! I must say its only 20 min subway ride from Manhattan which makes the hotel less expensive then those big high rise hotels in the city. One feature I loved the most was décor of the hotel. For example, it was like walking into fashion show and walk way to room was like a Fashion Runway which was very neat and smart design. I must say Tara who is a front desk clerk was extremely smart, knowledgeable, friendly and quick about how to take care guests from out of town especially from Texas! I really loved the experience and believe me I will recommend this hotel to all my colleagues and friend to go visit. Thank you for reading my review….

Will definitley be back in Brooklyn

by TripAdvisor Member desmadame

Being that this was my first trip to NYC, I was torn between staying at a hotel in Manhattan that was subpar or staying in a nice hotel in Brooklyn. I chose Brooklyn and am glad I did. The hotel is reasonably priced and oh so nice. The staff was super helpful and the rooms were meticulous. I'm currently working on the thank you note to management to commend them on their staff. They offer a complimentary breakfast which consists of 4-5 different types of crossiants and an assortment of fruits. They also serve Starbucks coffee, several different teas, cranberry juice and freshly squeezed orange juice. The place really blew my mind!

Interesting Hotel - would likely stay again

by TripAdvisor Member TN-Bill

Stayed two nights for business in the area and rate was much better than nearby Marroitt. Location is okay (remember, this is Brooklyn, not Manhattan), hotel itself felt very safe, but walk from subway late at night was a little iffy. Hotel is really "Nu" as in new. Lobby bar still being stocked and not very welcoming. Staff very nice and helpful including the bar-tender.
Stark rooms, but huge and pleasant. No carpet except fluffy rug by bed. Workspace bar was a little uncomfortable for using laptop. Free WiFi. No tub, only shower. Comfy bed. Big HD TV (make sure you use the guide to find HD channels). Best radio ever in a room, but never could figure out how to turn on the alarm. Also has a safe in room (why don't more hotels do this). Free continental breakfast was okay, nothing to write home about. No coffee in room. Remember to check out the chalkboard in the bathroom.
PS - check out Subway stops on www.hopstop.com. Very helpful.

Super hotel in Brooklyn

by TripAdvisor Member kdy1

We got a promotional deal with Travelzoo which proved to be a bargain. Firstly the staff really are very friendly, polite and helpful. Unfortunately on our first night we were on Atlantic Ave where the 4 lanes of traffic never stopped and I got very little sleep but the next morning we were moved straight after I asked what else was available to a quiet room round the back of the hotel. The rooms are a good size, comfy beds, not my choice of pillow, large tv, safe. The continental breakfast was scrummy we took it back up to our room as we were up very early it starts at 6.30. We preferred the Bergen St subway,no problem getting into Manhattan, loved the buzz of Smith St, great bars, restaurants and shops. Would recommend!!

great stay for a great price

by TripAdvisor Member lars26hh

stayed for 3 nights in a queen bedroom from sept 18 until sept 21 2008. booked the room with the opening special rate, so had a great bargain.
The hotel itself is great. Everything very new with great design. The room size was very big (for New York (apparently)). Service was great and staff friendly. As subway stations are nearbye, it's easy to get to Manhattan, too. Overall, a pleasant experience, would stay there again.

Very happy with the NU!

by TripAdvisor Member Fraysia

Very good hotel and happy with my stay. One thing, request a room facing the inside (my first room was facing Atlantique av and was REALLY noisy! Lucky for me I was moved the following morning) Good breakfast including croissant and cappucino. If you like the modern look, no clutter, you will love this hotel. Close of almost all subway line. You just have to figure them out!
I was in training in the financial district in Manhattan and don't regret to have book an hotel there. There is a little sushi restaurent on Smith called Tokyo something. REALLY good sushi!

Terrible Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member gwynethmoya

I wanted to stay at this hotel but had a terrible time booking! The woman who opened my reservation was rude told me the wrong booking rate, got my name and email wrong and more! When I asked to speak with the manager I was surprised that he was rude and rather condescending. He was standing right by the woman when she gave me the wrong quote! It was not a good experience and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Enjoying some cocktails poolsideEnjoying some cocktails poolside

My two sistersMy two sisters

Arch of Soldiers & SailorsArch of Soldiers & Sailors

GOING BACK FOR MOREGOING BACK FOR MORE

New Jersey to Brooklyn

by b9332

What are the fastest ways and best times to travel to work and from work if I am going from Teaneck NJ to Avenue C and Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn NY

by zuriga

You should say if you are going by car or by public transportation. Thanks. It might make a difference.

by dgeorge10

Like Zuriga said, it depends on how you're planning to commute.

Car - Cross over the GW Bridge ($6 toll!!), take the FDR south, and head into Brooklyn. If you leave by 6:30 or 7, you might be able to make it in 45 minutes. Anytime after that... good luck! On the way back, it's pretty much rush hour till at least 8pm.

Mass Transit - Take the NJ Transit Bus to Port Authority, and the subway from there. Total commute time will be about an hour.

My advice.. take the bus.

by mh_medo

Not sure where Teaneck is as far as major highways, but I live basically at Ave C and Ocean Parkway and have a car. Coming from NJ, I would take the Turnpike to the Goethal's Bridge (toll) into Staten Island. Cross Staten Island, take the Verranzano. Stay in the right lane, leading onto BQE. Take BQE a few miles, stay in right lane to Prospect Expressway exit. Merge onto PE. That goes for maybe 2 miles, turns into Ocean Parkway, go a few blocks. You're at Avenue C.

You could also take the Holland Tunnel (toll), first exit out of the tunnel to the West Side Highway. WSH to Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (toll). BBT to Prospect. But anytime going through Manhattan is involved, you could have real problems.

There is also an express bus, the Command Bus, that goes from Manhattan and back. The nearest stop is Ocean Pkwy and Church, two blocks up. If you can get into Manhattan, you can catch this bus in several spots all over the city.

by footstool

Teaneck is just north of Route 4, which means it is parallel to the George Washington Bridge and its adjacent bus terminal. I have taken a New Jersey Transit (NJT) bus, out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, to Teaneck. My ophthalmologist is on Bergenfield Ave. Why kill yourself driving at least 1.5 hours each way, paying at least 1 toll every day, and buying gas, etc.? And the MTA is raising the tolls; what else is new?! Take the F to the A (at Jay St), or the B (Brighton Beach line) to the A (at West 4 St) to PABT.

Comments