220 Delaware Ave, Buffalo, New York, 14202, United States

Rated 13% higher but also costs 52% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member pjsparma

We stayed overnight for the first time in Buffalo and used a Hilton HHonors award certificate for this hotel. The lobby was small and cozy and adjacent to the indoor pool. Parking is complimentary for hotel guests and is accessed using your room card. The 2 young gentlemen on duty Friday night were very welcoming and expedited check-in, and also made some suggestions for dinner in the area (we eventually chose the old standby, Anchor Bar, home of the original Buffalo wings).

We were pleasantly upgraded to a Jacuzzi room on the 6th floor, overlooking the parking lot, downtown Buffalo, and Lake Erie in the distance. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It was quite large and well-appointed. The king bed was comfortable, had new Hampton linens (including duvets--much easier to wash than the usual filty hotel bedspread); but pillows were average. The bathroom was large, water hot, and shower pressure excellent! Overall, the room (and the entire hotel) was very well maintained and clean.

The free breakfast in the 2nd floor "great room" was fine, with 3 hot options (french toast sticks, powdered (?) scrambled eggs, and ham, a variety of pastries/bagels, yoghurt, fresh fruit, etc. For those with a laptop, there is free Internet access that worked very well. There is also a business center on the 2nd floor with 2 computers, laser printer, color inkjet printer, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, we experienced no major problems with noise. We could hear some muffled voices from the room next door and heard people talk while they were passing our room in the hallway, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. We did not hear a thing from outside. If you are senstive to noise, ask for a room on an upper floor facing the parking lot, not Chippewa Ave. where all the partiers tend to go.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and would highly recommend this property.

Good choice in downtown Buffalo

by TripAdvisor Member Beachdreams2

I stayed one night at the Hampton on May 14, and wanted to post my feedback, since the reviews on TripAdvisor helped me choose this hotel. While I would have expected a Hampton Inn to be more of a "budget" type place than a regular Hilton (or Hyatt or Radisson), the Hampton in Buffalo easily exceeded my expectations for an average hotel in any of these chains. I stayed in a standard king room, and it was pretty nicely decorated and contained two phones and high speed internet, a desk/chair, and lounge chair with ottoman. The bathroom was very large.

The hotel facilities were excellent. I used the exercise room and the business center and found them both to be more than adequate. There also was an indoor pool/spa that looked nice. Breakfast was pretty good (I'm not a big breakfast eater), but there were plenty of options. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful.

I had business in downtown Buffalo, and the location was very convenient for that, and there were a wide variety of options for food and entertainment within the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

Slighly HIgher Priced, But Well Worth It

by TripAdvisor Member JBF1964

We spent three nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown Buffalo in late July, 2006 and could not have been more pleased. We originally selected the property for a central location, as we planned to stay in Buffalo after spending a few days in Niagara Falls, ON.

We knew to expect a certain level of quality from a Hampton, but were very pleasantly surprised at the level of service and attentiveness displayed by the staff. The hotel actually feels much more high end that your traditional Hampton under the Hilton brand (or its Marriott counterparts, Fairfield and Courtyard, which my wife and I also use frequently).

There is a pleasant, well furnished lobby area where you can relax and have coffee (which is available 24/7). The breakfast area on the second floor is outfitted in a similar way and on the same floor as the breakfast area, there's also a business center with two computers and very comfy office chairs if you need to do business, or just check your e-mail remotely. The second floor also has a sitting area with a large T.V. in case you don't want to be cooped up in your room but do want to watch. There's function room space available.

The advice from an earlier review was helpful, as we did request a room facing away from Chippawa Street, which has several blocks of trendy bars. We arrived on a Thursday evening, and the street looked like New Orleans at Mardi Gras. There was a free concert nearby that night, which our hotel staff said was a major reason for the crowds. The crowds were much thinner on Friday and almost non-existent on Saturday oddly enough.

The room itself was clean and had everything we needed. We were able to get a jacuzzi room at the same price as a standard king with a AAA discount. But, if you prefer there is also a nice pool and hot tub on the main floor.

For security reasons, you will need your room keycard to get around the property. Is it needed to access the elevators above the first floor, as well as the pool area (including adjacent restrooms), the free parking lot, the business center -- and of course, your room. We felt safe the entire time we were there and the keycard access actually gave us an additional level of comfort, once we got the hang of it.

The keycard also provides shortcut access for several eating and drinking establishments on the first floor of the hotel, including a really cool place that serves specialty deserts and drinks. You can even get small shooters of your favorite adult beverage poured in eatable chocolate cups.

Kudos to the entire staff, but especially manager Eric, who arranged for us to have a refrigerator in the room when we needed a place to store leftover food and bottles of water. (Note: bottles of water in the lobby at only $1, which is much less than the typical "gouge the guest" price you find at similar places elsewhere in the U.S.) The staff also bent over backwards to provide advice and directions on food and attractions. We were even allowed an access key to use the first floor restrooms and the parking lot for a couple of hours after checkout, but before we had to leave for the airport about 20 minutes away.

We haven't used Hampton in a while, and are impressed with their breakfast upgrades. In addition to the usual variety of cereals, fruits, breads, juices and coffee, the property also has a couple of hot dishes available. It is usually a one breakfast meat, an egg dish and a bread (such as waffles, french toast sticks or biscuits). There's plenty to choose from and the breakfast is available until 10 a.m.

We get the impression this property caters to business travelers, and special events guests (hockey games, concerts, theater, etc.) In fact, we spoke to several guests who lived nearby but decided to spend the weekend at the hotel, go a minor league baseball game and just get away from it all. If the locals think it is good place, then you know you've made the right selection.

If you're not interested in driving much, the property is only three blocks away from a free rail service that can get you to the baseball park, the local sports arena and the Lake Erie waterfront quickly and safely.

It is little pricey for a Hampton or Fairfield. We paid about $50-$60 a night more than we usually do for such brands. But, again, this place is not your garden variety, side of the interstate mid-range "inn." So, if you're willing to spend the extra bucks for location -- and a upgrade in service -- go right ahead.

awesome for famlies

by TripAdvisor Member tembito

what a pleasant surprise. the suites were huge and clean, the staff efficient, the breakfast easy for my family of four (two kids age 1 and 5 years old). i have not stayed at many hampton inns, but this one plan to return.

Great find in Buffalo

by TripAdvisor Member BostonTravler

We chose this hotel based on the earlier reviews when we had to travel to Buffalo recently for a wedding. They were right! The hotel was clean and relatively quiet considering all the noise outside from nearby bars. We did request a room on the upper floors away from Chippawa Street which probably helped. Great cafe across the street if you sleep through the free breakfast (which we did twice) called Spot Coffee. They have great smoothies and sandwiches too. If we ever visit that part of NY again, we'd definitely stay there again!

Great choice

by TripAdvisor Member Aug60

This was a very pleasant surprise. The hotel is lovely. It's an old building that has been converted to a hotel. The rooms and hallways are well lit, cheerful, and welcoming. The swimming pool is big, with a little waterfall in it. The fitness center had 2 or 3 treadmills, an elliptical, a bike, weights, physio balls, and a universal.

I always try to take the stairs instead of elevator, and the stairways are carpeted and well lit as well, not dingy as is often the case (assuming you're even able to take stairs).

The only thing that I felt was lacking was a makeup mirror, and I wasn't crazy about the plastic, rather than glass, cups in the room.

Staff was great as well. On sight, secure parking, at no cost. Also has a very nice, roomy business center with free internet access (and I think free fax machines).

Worth noting: hotel has a chocolate bar attached to it. Yummy desserts and chocolate cocktails. Fun.

I usually stay in 4 star hotels. This was comparable. I wouldn't even look anywhere else if I were returning to Buffalo.

very nice hotel and a great value!

by TripAdvisor Member pinkypinksand

This is a very nice hotel. Huge rooms, great service. We had a jacuzzi room, which is a terrific value for what you get - a huge jacuzzi tub which fits 2 easily/comfortably.
The complimentary breakfast had both hot and cold items and a far wider selection than I expected.
The Chocolate Bar, which is attached to the property, is also a great place for drinks/dessert.
Everything was clean and the attention to detail - from the complimentary newspapers to the nightlight in the bathroom, was greatly appreciated. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Buffalo.

Best Hotel in Downtown Buffalo

by TripAdvisor Member smdillon

I live in Toronto and travel down to Buffalo 2 or 3 times a year to see the Bills and catch a few Sabres games. I usually stay at the Buffalo Hyatt Hotel, which is a nice hotel with a great location. However, due to the fact that two professional sports teams were staying at the Hyatt on the same night the hotel was booked and I had to look for alternative accomodations. I am really happy that I found this great hotel, it totally kicks the Hyatt's butt in every single category. The Hampton Inn has free parking, the Hyatt does not, the Hampton Inn offers a GREAT continental breakfast, the Hyatt does not, the Hampton Inn has beautifully appointed rooms and common areas, the Hyatt does not. The Hampton Inn has a beautiful ground level pool, the Hyatt does not have a pool at all. The Hampton Inn has great friendly customer service, two or three reasonably priced restaurants and cafes with direct access from the hotel and is also located on the only street in Buffalo that actually had people on it after 5:00pm. This hotel is only a 3-5 minute walk to the free light rail transit which provides direct access to HSBC arena, and is about a 10-15 minute drive away from Ralph Wilson Stadium. I would highly recommend this hotel.
It was a pleasure to stay here and I will definentely 100% stay here again.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member bea832

Hampton Inn and Suites in Downtown Buffalo, NY was a great hotel to stay at. They have an excellent shuttle service to pick up & drop off at the airport. The lobby was charming, with on-the-go breakfast bags for guests. The beautiful dining room serves an excellent complimentary continental breakfast with hot and cold cereals, fresh coffee, several fruit juices, eggs, sausage, pastries, and fruit. The suite I stayed in was very spacious with a huge bathroom. The decor of the suite was extremely tasteful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Great Stay at the Hampton Inn

by TripAdvisor Member nvagirl

Stayed at the Hampton Inn 01/19 & 01/20. In town for concert at Shea's theater. The Hampton was within walking distance to theater, only 2-3 blocks. It was extremely cold, but we just bundled up. There are 4 restaurant/bars attached to the hotel. The Chocolate Bar was very cool, hip martini bar which also served food and desserts. Pineappletini was amazing! We also went to Nektar for a drink. Very cool place as well. Impressed to find these places in Buffalo. Didn't eat here, but Mode and Toro looked really cool. Also, Bacchus which is a new wine bar/restaurant is only a block or so from hotel. Didn't eat there but it look like a great place and is ranked #1 on this site. Hotel is also in walking distance to Starbucks and several bars. Many of the bars are college bars, but Crocodile Bar was cool. Played great music, mix of old and new and wasn't clubby like some of the other bars on the street. Good place to hang out and have some drinks. Front desk staff was great. Went out of their way to get us directions, call cabs, etc. Hotel looked new inside. Room and bathroom good size. Beds had down comforters, a definate plus and bathroom had nice tolietries. Ate lunch at Pearl Street Brewery which is next to hockey areana. Great place with lots of history and great beer. Try the Waterfront Wheat. It is excellent. Will definately stay at this hotel again if I find myself in Buffalo again. If you are going in the winter, make sure to brink warm coat/clothes. It was freezing!

O CANADAO CANADA

Aliza at the entranceAliza at the entrance

Inside TabreeInside Tabree

USS Croaker & USS Little RockUSS Croaker & USS Little Rock

Evenings in Buffalo

by alvi21

I'm visiting Buffalo from Aug 24-28 and already have plans for most of my time there. I'm looking for ways to fill my time there in the evenings of Aug 25th (Sat) and Aug 27th (Mon). I'm NOT a fan of bars or clubs so I'm looking for alternative ideas.

Any tips and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

by YVRDave

There is a Baseball team there that plays those nights. www.bisons.com

by alvi21

Haha, thanks for the suggestion... but I'm not a fan of baseball either.

by madcapdaisy

If you're going to be downtown and the weather is decent I would check out the waterfront area, especially on that Saturday. There are $15.00 cruises there too on Miss Buffalo but I think they may run during the day only although I'm not sure. Still very nice down there though during the day and just before sunset. You can get a bite to eat down there also, mostly burgers, fries, etc. There's also a lookout tower where you can see the city, and the peace bridge, etc.

Comments