3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Two Fountain Plaza, Buffalo, New York, 14202, United States

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• When they say "Renovation" Dont assume its yroom

I recently went to Buffalo to visit my two neices with my sister. I looked onine and found the Hyatt in Buffalo thinking it would be a Hyatt and to expect the best in accordance with its name. I was somewhat impressed upon entering the lobby it was like looking at a once beautiful space that needed more updating. I checked in and it was a great location and they were helpful in getting numbers ect for take out as it was late. We stayed on the 9th floor and as soon as I walked into my room I was not impressed at all. It was outdated and it reminded me of a poorer hotel with cheap bathroom fixtures. The beds look scrumptously full with bedding but I have to tell you I tossed and turned all night my back was killing me. I also started to itch , now I dont know if it was the type of detergent they used but I itched all night. The biggest discomfort among all the discomforts was the ventillation in the room was horrible. We were so thirsty like you know that feeling when you were left in a plane waiting for takeoff too long with not enough circulating air. My mouth was horribly dry all night I could of drank 2 bottles of water bymyself. The elevators also were down in the morning and we waited 1/2 to go back up into our room. The other thing that I found so funny, at the buffet breakfast we were escorted to a buffet like line as it progressed with your hot eggs and bacon ect you finally passed the station for toast. They had a toaster that made you wait at least 10 minutes to cook your bread as your eggs were getting cold. I deserted the toast as I couldnt wait any longer. I checked out and went to another hotel down the street with a less name and it was incredibly cleaner, better service and better food. My words to the Hyatt would be " PLease buy a toaster for your guest take some of that renovation money its not that much". Seriously,

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Fine for an Anniversary

Actually, I don't remember much about the hotel, other than the location. Well, it was our 1st wedding anniversary... so what more can I say??? Oh, yeah, and it was 15 yrs ago too! I liked the location... but we did seem to spend a fair bit of time away from the hotel.

More about Hyatt Regency Buffalo

Disgusting!!

by TripAdvisor Member majka

one of the worst hotels ever!! this hotel cannnot even compare to any other Hyatt...the decor is horrible and very old...we had to downgrade from a suite to 2 rooms becasue the suite was very disgusting...the rooms both smelt very bad...there was blood on the bedspread (they came and picked it up) the bathtub was clogged in one room...the shower spout was barely hanging on in the other room...everything can be heard through the walls of the rooms..we came from the Hyatt in Rochester which was very beautiful and comfortable but if you are looking to stay at a nice hotel in Buffallo you might as well stay in the Hampton Inn 2 blocks away because this might as well be a 2 star hotel...However, the customer service in this hotel was outstanding...very polite staff and when i told them what i thought upon checking out they credited one of the rooms back to me!! One more thing, the steak restaurant in the hotel is horrible as well and I dont know how it made it on the list of the top 10 steakhouses in North America...

Old and Dirty

Let's start out with the parking. For a major downtown hotel there is none. If you like to walk than this is your place. From the minute you walk in you feel confined. The ceilings are low in the lobby. The restaurant looks like its misplaced. I guess the building was an old office building and it sure looks it. Don't look up at the glass atrium. Filthy would be a compliment. The guest rooms aren't any better. They are very old and disgusting. The staff was alright. Nothing to write home about. The next time we are in Buffalo we won't be staying here.

Can't believe all the bad reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member TheCapo

Stayed at the Hyatt in Buffalo on numerous vacations, always for 1 night at a time - during the NCAA tournament, and on a couple other weekends in Buffalo. The hotel is nice, reception friendly and the rooms are more than adequate. Good location right downtown, no complaints at all....always get a good deal on price too - however no parking included, can park in the covered lot across the street for $5/night.

Fan-Tastic!

by TripAdvisor Member smdillon

My wife and I stayed at the Buffalo Hyatt hotel on November 11th, 2005. Originally when booking this hotel we had reservations about our reservations due to the poor ratings of this hotel on many travel websites. Despite these reviews we decided to stay at this Hotel because it is the most convenient hotel to stay at while in Downtown Buffalo. The Hotel is directly beside the Buffalo Light Rail Transit System which provides direct FREE access to the HSBC Arena and there is a new parkade across the street with unlimited parking all weekend for 5.00. The hotel is also directly connected to the Buffalo Convention Centre. This is also the hotel that all visiting NHL Teams stay in. We saw the Carolina Hurricanes exit the hotel upon our arrival. The views from the Hotel are excellent in either direction. However, I personally recommend a room on the East Side (see photos). The hotel lobby is beautiful. The rooms are not quite as nice as I would have hoped for in a Hyatt Hotel...but everything worked fine. Despite what people say, the carpets are clean and are in nice shape. And even while staying in a hotel filled with rowdy Leaf fans, the rooms were still very quiet. I am traveling back to Buffalo next month and can't wait to stay at the centrally located, beautiful Hyatt Buffalo Hotel. Excellent value all around.

Ok...

by TripAdvisor Member lisalisa77

I just got back from the Hyatt in Buffalo this weekend, I stayed Saturday night as I was in town for the football game the following day. As I've read mostly negative reviews on the site about this property, I wasn't sure what to expect.
Parking is located right across from the hotel for $5 overnight, it's literally right in front of the hotel so that was convenient. The Lobby was nice and everyone was very friendly. We had a King room on the 11th floor - it was ok. I mean it wasn't dirty or anything like that. It just wasn't up to par with Hyatt's standards. The rooms were on the old side, nothing special. Very old, needed to be updated but we didn't mind it. I mean I guess everyone is comparing the hotel to every other Hyatt around and if so you will be disappointed. All in all it was an ok hotel, but not up to Hyatt's normal standards that's all. If I happened to be in Buffalo again I would probably stay there again. The steakhouse E.B Greens was fantastic!!!

Depends on the expectations...

by TripAdvisor Member elifmontreal

I stayed at the Hyatt, Buffalo last WE with my husband. We are a young married couple who were in Buffalo to watch the Sabres hockey game.
After our experience at our hotel, I can say that I could see where everyone was coming from in the reviews I had read before on the hotel.

So here is our judgement of the hotel:
The location is great, just next to the tramway which provides a free ride to all the stops above ground, including the HSBC center. It is also very close to the main restaurant, bar area (chipewa, elmwood street etc)
If you don't mind paying a little extra, the steakhouse - EB Green- next to the hotel (which has an access from the hotel) is really really good food. It was in the best steakhouses in America list, and it is well deserved with great food and excellent service.
On the otherhand, it is true that the furniture in the rooms are very old, and it seems like they didn't invest a lot in the hotel maybe for the last 20 years. There was only boiling water in the shower in our room, so they changed our room to a bigger suite, but in that room, the water wasn't warm enough. I must say that the hotel staff is extremely helpful, and they tried to correct the problem right away, but with the hotel's conditions, their hands are tied as well.
So, for the hotel staff and location, I would stay there again, but it is not up to Hyatt standards.
We had a good deal for this hotel through priceline, so we weren't that bothered except for the shower problem...but I would have been very disappointed if I had paid $100 or more for this hotel.

Hope this helps.

Needs work, but some real positives

by TripAdvisor Member vbonvent

Just returned from a Friday night stay on a very very busy weekend in Buffalo and at the hotel. So the 1st thing encountered was a near impossible parking situation. The hotel has no parking (!!!), and the lot across the street was jammed until around midnight. Until then, I had to park in a tow-away zone and keep a few vigilant eyes (mine & a hotel attendant's) on my car.

This is an upscale hotel and conference center with all that you'd expect from such an accomodation, except for the absence of parking and, even more critically, except for the condition of the rooms themselves. They were large enough and included all the expected amenities. BUT, they were in bad need of updating--the carpeting was downright ratty, the bed was like an old sway-backed mare, and the furniture was ready for a garage sale. The staff said that a major renovation is soon to begin.

And about the staff: everyone with whom I dealt was wonderful---courteous, helpful, pleasant, friendly, accomodating. It reminded me of why so many people who visit Buffalo just love Buffalonians!

Finally, mention must be made of one of the hotel's restaurants, E B Green's, advertised as one of the country's top ten steakhouses. Being a steaklover myself, and having several favorite venerable steakhouses in NY City alone (e.g., Peter Luger, Smith & Wollenski), I was skeptical. But I must say, this place was really great. Each member of my party---each with similarly spoiled steakhouse tastes---ordered a different steak, and each of us was very pleasantly surprised and just loved what we had. Don't miss this place if you stay at the Hyatt Regency, or no matter where you stay in Buffalo.

What were we thinking?

by TripAdvisor Member Doug & Matt

What were we thinking? It has been 10 years since we last stayed at this property, when we were last here, we said the rooms were dull and unattractive - needing a full renovation. We have stayed at Hyatt properties both within the United States as well as Internationally, this is one property that does not deserve to have use of the Hyatt trade mark! We travelled with friends for a weekend getaway, our rooms were appropriately placed across the hall from one another. The rooms are not Hyatt quality - this property is over 20 years of age and the rooms clearly show their age. Nothing has changed since we last stayed - how is that possible? The owners of the property have not made an investment into the rooms to upgrade the furnishings/bathroom since it was built. Of all of our stays in Hyatt properties, we cannot understand how this property is able to continue to operate under the Hyatt name. The staff at the property are all very professional, very helpful, they readily admit that the property is to go through a renovation, from what I have heard from other guests, the staff have been making this statement over the past year; nothing has changed. We had dinner at E B Greens (as we had 10 years earlier), this is a great restaurant, the bar staff, the pianist, the servers, the food, oh yes the food, it is deserving of the quality award that it received. The location of the property is within walking distance to a number of attractions, free use of the Metro is readily available within the core area. Parking can be a little tricky, park early to avoid the crowd from the Entertainment area. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, the food was very good, the service was very professional. The only problem with the property in our assessment is the condition of the rooms - either renovate the property or drop the Hyatt trade mark!

Hotel Shuttles to Bills Game

by travistravel

Hi all -

Trying to pick a hotel for a Bills game in December, any suggestions? We are looking either for something close or something with a shuttle...

We are 4 guys, going to enjoy the evening with a few drinks with the locals, so we don't want to have to drive anywhere.

Thanks,

T.

RE: Hotel Shuttles to Bills Game

by keverina

definately the downtown "chippewa" area.there's a fairly new nice hampton inn right in the middle of it.should be easy to find a way to the game.just ask a bartender.

RE: Hotel Shuttles to Bills Game

by peavey

Could you clarify? Are you looking for a hotel that will have a shuttle to the stadium? The stadium is some distance from the city of Buffalo itself.

by keverina

nfta bus is walking distance from chippewa,they'll have special busses to and from the game.

by travistravel

Thanks for you help -

We've booked to stay at the Hyatt Regency Buffalo at West Huron and Pearl... does that get us close to where the buses would leave from?

Thanks,

T.

by keverina

you;ll be ingood shape,2 blocks away.check NFTA website.

by keverina

looks like it leaves 90 min before game 7 bucks roundtrip.

Comments