356 Villas Roma Rd, Callicoon, NY 12723
Expedia.com Priceline.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Villas Roma Resort Lodges

Convention was Great

First time our Organization has been back at the Villa Roma in Six years. The food was great - however in some instances the Dining Room Staff was slow with taking orders and delivering the food. It almost delayed our opening session. Service in the Dining Room improved and some of the Waitresses and Waiters were exceptional. Accommodations were great and other services were exceptional. There was some confusion with scheduling of room usage - due to miscommunication on both sides. All this was worked out and the 180 registered for the convention had no complaints.

Worst Place EVER

My husband and i decided to take our 2 children skiing for the week over chirstmas. We went with our timeshare and decided to stay and the villa roma. We arrived at 10:30 at night on a Thursday and decided to leave Friday morning as soon as the timeshare office was open. Need I say more? I think I will.... This place was.... for lack of a better word a "dump". Smokey-mirrors, a cheesy louge with loud obnoxious people running in and out of the bar cursing at each other as you check in. Cafeteria style dining. If you asked for information on a restaurant for food or market, the people working had no idea. This all taking place in the total of 9 hours that my family was at the Villa Roma. The "ski resort" was needless to say maybe a 200 yard downhill run. We were able to get our full week back with Interval International and our exchange fee. Please if you have a timeshare DO NOT exchange into here. I told my husband that it reminded me of my sophomore year dormitory in college. My husband and I don't mind roughing it if we are at camp, however, if we are going on vacation with our family, it should be a vacation not STRESS on wondering if the people put Chlorine in the pool.

A great family weekend

I recently took the family for a weekend in the Catskill's. At the recomendation of a friend we went to the Villa Roma. I hadn't been to the Catskill's in years. I have to say that this was one of the best family getaways we have ever had. There is simply so much to do. The staff from check in to leaving treated you almost like family. The food and service was fabulous. The kids did't even complain once, that is when we saw them. They spent most of their time in the game room, arcade and a large indoor pool. The room, or should I say the suite that we were in was like an apartment. My wife and I actually had our privacy and the kids had their own TV in the other room. As for the entertainment, they were having, what they call, the Villa Roma Idol competition on Friday night, and the winner became the opening act on Saturday night for comedian Lee Allen It was great. Writing a review is something I have never done before, but we had such an incredible time, my wife and I wanted to tell people about this place. I almost forgot that they also had a Murder Mystery weekend while we were their. I understand they have this every year at this time the November 11 weekend. We met people and made new freinds and actually made tentative plans to meet them up here during the summer. My kids didn't want to leave. This place has to be one of the best kept secrets in the Catskills.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member maryncraig

Just returned from a three evening stay at this "resort". The first night there a member of my party was assualted by a timeshare guest, in front of our children. Long story short, the hotel staff and "security" offered no condolences, nor tried to rectify the situation. The reason we choose vacation spots such as these is to relax and enjoy. So far, no good. Next, the staff members there are UNFRIENDLY and guests are treated like bothersome individuals. They are not receptive to questions and did not go out of their way whatsover to make me feel like I was getting what I was paying for. Not once did my server greet any of us with a smile and rather acted as if we were imposing when asking for simple requests (like orange juice). The accomodations were great if you enjoy seeing wallboard, spackle paint, electrical wire, dust and debris littering the hallways. Seems to me that if you are booked to stay at a resort President's week, the hotel administration would have enough common sense to avoid safety hazards of the guests paying large sums of money to use their facilities. This place was an accident waiting to happen. Down every hallway there were several housekeeping carts, vaccuums, dust mops, etc. Maid service should have been done more discretely and much, much more quieter.
This was a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson to learn on where not to go. Of the twenty five or so guests staying in our party, I would assume with certainty that not one of them would be returning, under any circumstance. Our saving grace was eachother, definately not our stay. This review can be read as is, and maybe some of you will have an open mind like many of us did and still book a stay there. Myself however will never recommend the Villa Roma, like I said folks, it was an expensive lesson to learn....

Trans Oceanic Dining

by cochinjew about Continental Flight 56 from Newark to Paris

unfortunately some of the best food while travelling to and fro USA has been had on the Continental Airlines.
A couple of days before I took this flight, I was at a village in Nebraska which did not even have a coffee shop and the nearest restaurant was 50 km away. champers to begin with
roasted cashews to accompany
a medley of appetizers: shrimp sushi, crab cakes, slaky pastry with spinach
grilled halibut with courgettes
icecream with a touch of Kahlua

dont remember falling asleep but was woken up just before arriving at Charles De Gaulle airport

You have to be kidding me...

by TripAdvisor Member cdefranco

Either I have become unrealistically jaded or all the folks that give this place high marks work there or got paid off.

First off I will try not to spew venom after paying too much for the 2 days I was there. I will give some credit where due to be fair and balanced but I must tell you this is dificult to do.

First...Check-in took over 1 1/2 hours because their computer disagreed with my "mailed" reservation confirmation. They should have fixed the problem on their own time. The reservation person did everything she could (positive) making small talk etc... until somebody capable of re-programming their computer arrived. "Hey---How about getting me to my room and calling me when you get your act togetther!!!"

Second...The best room they have (The Suite) was very average. Basic Holiday Inn accomodations are more inviting. Not dirty mind you but,...well... very ordinary. Perhaps best described as a cheap apartment in a "has been" resort. Just getting to the room was an adventure as it appears this place was a hodge-podge of additions over the years with "connecting" hallways constructed in a variety of materials. Every once in awhile there is a window and you are treated to the dilapidated exteriors and after-market rubber roof covers. This must explain why the hallways are freezing (no heat). Just not something I would expect.

Third...Game Room is dark but had a good time playing indoor Bocci and ping pong. The room is OLD but you would not have a better time if it was updated...I guess. The guests made it a better place as most were very friendly under crowded conditions. I did not hit the indoor pool which was a little small.

Fourth...The food was very very very very very average. If you just want to eat a lot... If all you want is VOLUME... If your idea of nirvana is to stuff yourself with Diner food till spontaneous combustion...well this is your place... you slob.
In contrast to some other reviewers I found the service pretty good, but I tipped the waitress and busboy. Not a fortune but at least something to stay focused. Now, I do understand this is the sole reason some folks come to places like this (eating...as a contact sport) but you technically can do better at the "all you can eat" buffet at your local bada-bing.

Fifth...Entertainment was good to very good. (The "Villa Roma Idol" contest was decent---The comedian was very good) Since my wife was sick to her stomach in the room I bought her an autographed video of him. The actual room where the entertainment took place was a joke. 30 year old red carpet adorned everything. I do mean everything. Stains--no charge. I had 1 drink on Friday night and 1 on Saturday night.
I would have had more but quite frankly my $3 "drink special" Pina Colada started congealing as the ice melted. I will not talk about the M.C.--Anybody who has experienced him will know what I mean...

Bottom Line...This is a hoakie place that I am sure was "someplace" at least 30 years ago. At it's best it was campy good fun. The staff really tries... but the bar is so low they have all become limbo players.
At it's worst it is a real waste of money. Over $800 for a 2 night stay. By the way--forgot to tell you there was a Murder Mystery going on. The only crime committed that weekend was the price.

2 stars

Usable place if you have a timeshare but too overpriced if you must rent a hotel room. If you're a hotel guest they force their meal plan on each person in your party. The resort still appears as though it's still the 1960's. The roads bringing you into the resort can use a paving or a guardrail. The units could use some modern televisions and dvd players, (what do dvd players cost now, about $39 at Walmart). They close the bowling alley and pool for lunch and dinner which makes no sense other than to save themselves some overhead cost (minimum wage) and inconvience the owners. I would be willing to pay the hourly rate for someone to keep these places open. The tennis courts are good. The gym is good. The game and video room could use improvement. The food and service can both be bad. I guess they figure you can't go anywhere else. Unless they start to update their resort I could care less about the local gambling approvals beginning.

laptop or no laptop

by rodent1960

i am travelling the usa by bus would you recomend i bring my laptop or leave it at home it is an ultraportable ASUS EEE PC that only weighs 1 kilo and is small with a 7 inch screen ,or would i be better to use an internet cafe are they wideley available in the usa and how about wireless internet

by caupolicano

Use internet cafe or Kinkos everything is available here ,laptop you may misplace it or someone could steal it.I will do it no laptop.

by travelnotes

Take a USB Memory stick, it fits nicely in your pocket.

by lkdahl

I would suggest bringing a laptop. Internet cafes are not readily available in the USA. The ones mentioned, Kinko's are sporadically located and expensive. Wi Fi however is alot easier to find. Almost every coffee shop, chain or independent has a Wi Fi connection.

by Sevsa

My suggestion is to leave the laptop at home unless there is some specific reason you need to bring your own computer. Many public libraries provide free internet access so unless you are in small towns or rural areas all the time it shouldn't be a problem for you. I'm a librarian in Philly and all 54 of our buildings have free computer use and wifi.

Comments