Friar Tuck Resort, Spa and Convention Center

4858 Route 32, Catskill, New York, 12414, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Friar Tuck Resort, Spa and Convention Center

cheezy and sleezy and smelly

The Friar Tuck Inn was a complete waste of time. We recently attended a time share sales talk at the Friar Tuck Inn. They lure you with a promise of $1000 internet shopping spree and 2 free airline tickets for 90 minutes of your time. First of all, the $1000 dollar internet shopping spree for our time carries a $250 to $350 processing fee and the choices of gifts are limited and their values are inflated. They also provide 2 free airline tickets. The catch is that you have to book a week from a list of 2-3 star hotels they provide at inflated prices.
Don't waste your time. The sales person stated this resort was in demand and was being renovated to bring it up to gold crown level.. The parking lot on friday August 20, 2004 was pretty empty. Once we entered the hotel, it was easy to see why - the smell and mustiness are overwhelming. The smell followed us throughout the tour. The newly renovated facilities were garish and far from royal. From what we observed, this hotel is shabby, dirty and in disrepair. Don't waste your money.

Rated Most Horrific Hotel EVER visited!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Momma_Lisa

Friar Tuck, Catskill NYAugust 17, 2004

Thank GOD! we only booked one night at the Friar YUCK for only $359!!! We stayed based on an "acquaintance" recommendation. We should have checked the review board!! It was indeed a NIGHTMARE based on our experience with a 2yr old child who will hopefully never recall the stay.

1)Front Desk MOST Unfriendly ever encountered by my husband who travels frequently for work. They seemed like they did us a favor by giving us two keys and a map of the place with 400 rooms. Map didn’t even note where the front desk was on the map. Note to self if Map is needed ….be wary of hotel.
2)Initially, the reservationists reserved a pool room. I worried that there would be lots of partying and I asked for the “scenic” view. Woman stated there was a “lake” with a veranda. When we checked in, the front desk placed us by the pool vs the lake. I asked to be placed by the lake without verifying the lake. The hotel manager was VERY annoyed to reissue a key. So he stuck it to us good!

Bell man was very helpful and friendly. There are a couple civilized souls at the place.

3) We were given an end room by the stairs. NEVER EVER stay by the stairs. Read on.

4)Room had attached brick hallway NO veranda.
5)Scenic view was of the brick columns which blocked the view of the “Lake”.
6)Oh the Lake is really a POND!!!!
7)You really need a map to find the Food Hall or your room.
8)We left the room immediately to go “explore” the place.
9)Food hall rug had at least 2 or 3 weeks of food on it.
10)The Food Hall elevator was very dirty with Popsicle sticks stuck to the walls and drinks place strategically above the lights. Elevator doors creaked just like a dungeon.
 The dinner(which was included in the price), was fairly good. Though, our jello and cheesecake desserts were warm at 7pm. Cocktail waitress and waiter were very friendly.

11)Food stuck to the column walls of the food hall.
12)Outdoor kiddie pool, adult pool, Jacuzzi, and Outdoor entertainment stops at 6:30 in the middle of August?
13)Indoor pool tile is VERY SLIPPERY. Our son fell immediately on his head which was very scary. Everyone waddled like penguins to enter/exit the pool.
14)There’s Off Site Track Betting AKA Gambling…. We didn’t know this was indeed a gamblers paradise and that explains why the gratuity of 18% for EVERYTHING including the maid is in the price. No body has to work for tips.
15)Upon returning to our room around 8:30pm, and placing our pjs on a very disgusting smell started emanating from the floor. Once our son was asleep relocating was not an idea though upon retrospect we should have LEFT!!We had to leave the patio door closed since there was LOTS of partying going on down 2 rooms on the “veranda”. The brick makes all noise echo….till 1AM. Not to mention a security issue by leaving the screen door open.
16)The sheets and pillows and especially the rug had a disgusting SMELL that stuck to our pjs and us. It’s like that Seinfeld show of the SMELLY Car. I am hoping Tide will remove the SMELL and we don’t have to get rid of our clothes. I am even washing our overnight bags.
17)NO CLOCK RADIO in the room. How can you tell time without a clock radio?
18)TV could NOT be watched unless the main light was turned on. This makes for tough sleeping with a child.
19)Bed Book lights were bent.
20)The hallway door slammed for every entry and exit by guest up to our floor. What a nightmare? Thank God our son slept thru the event.
21)Big security issue since they use keys vs the programmable locks. With the patio doors not having good restraints, my husband stayed up most of the night worrying about our security and I couldn’t sleep because of the SMELL.
22)At 6AM – I immediately showered. The shower heads spray a very fine mist making showering a difficult process when trying to remove the ROOM SMELL from one’s body.
23)Hubby and I elected to eat at McDonalds and have a pleasant meal. I asked hubby to get a “credit” for our breakfast tickets. The Hotel Manager would NOT give him a credit even after my husband told her it was the most disgusting hotel he’s ever been to.

This was our first trip to the Catskills and perhaps, our last.

Pitiful, just awful

Yes, well I stopped in at the Friar Tuck this past summer of 2004. The first and last stop at the hotel was the pool. I first entered and the pool area smelled like rotting meat or someother matter of stink. When I inquired with the lifeguard, who could have used a haircut but other than that was the only truly honest and friendly bloke in the whole place, he told me that it appeared the cause of the smell was from the pipes above from the kitchen or bathroom were leaking into the pool area. The managers response to this was "just air it out", the poor lifeguard wanted to close down the pool as it surely violated some health code, but was not given permission. Well with that I went up to the front desk and canceled the rest of my trip. I warn anyone not to go there unless you like your kids sloshing around in sewage at the pool area. Good day.

'The Shining' Starring: Jack Nicholson

Everything that was posted negatively about this "Place" is true. It's not a hotel or a spa; it is a scary Place.

I visited the hotel from September 13-15 of 2004 with a group of colleagues for a management meeting. We had no other choice. It was a management decision.

It reminded me of "The Shining." The only way I could sleep in the room that was deemed newly renovated was to get totally intoxicated. This way, I did not care about the flies I could not kill, the mildew covered walls, the noisy bathroom and what was under the sheets.

Why is this Hotel Still Open?

This hotel is so awful that even the horrendous reviews cannot fully do justice to this travesty of hospitality. The web site is so misleading it 's criminal. There's no point in reviewing all the terrible aspects of this hotel from its shoddy rooms to terrible service. All I can hope is that any future traveler will read these reviews and be fully warned to STAY AWAY!

What a dirty and disgusting place!

I can't imagine a worst hotel. Dirty, dangerous, and smelly. The hotel staff is unbelievably unhelpful. One morning no one would serve my coffee, and I had to go into the kitchen and turn on the coffee maker. NEVER AGAIN will I go to this terrible place. As one of the reviews mentioned in their heading, why is this hotel still open? I am furious that this hotel is still open, and innocent tourists are being lured by the dishonest web site. My family suffered enough. I don't usually write reviews but the Friar Tuck made me so furious that I hope one and all reads this posting. The management should be deeply ashamed.

Clean and comfortable

Recently returned from a small sales meeting held at this hotel. Stayed in the older section of the "Inn". Rooms were small but very clean and cozy. Staff was very courteous and could not do enoough to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. Food and service was above average. Meeting rooms are bright and comfortable. Recommend this facility to anyone looking to book a conference in a resort environment.

Could this be the same hotel?

I can't believe all these good reviews. This can't be the same hotel where I stayed last week. The place is dirty, rundown, and just depressing. The staff tries, but what can they do with such a decrepit place? One reviewer compared it to THe Shining, which is very apt. The Holiday Inn in Kingston is such a better place to stay. Please don't make the same mistake as my family and actually believe the web site.STAY AWAY!

Luxury resort? Not a chance!

This place had better fix up the problems or close their doors. We stayed in the Nottingham Village section of the resort between Christmas and New Year's for a vacation. Almost no one there during ski season so the word must be getting out. The hotel itself seems very nice but when we got to the part of the resort we were staying in, that all changed. It reminded you of a 60's motel that had never been renovated. Many things in our unit in need of maintenance or repair. The kitchen countertop had a large crack through it that had been there for a long enough time to have picked up plenty of stains and dirt in it. Every door in the place squeaked like an old dungeon door, including the refrigerator. The stove got so hot when the oven was on you could burn yourself on it. Barely a trickle coming out of the bathroom faucet. The first thing that hit us when we entered was the smell, as if someone had just finished painting the walls with Italian dressing. Whatever it was, at least it didn't last too long but never should have been there anyway. As timeshare owners we felt like a dump we got stuck with in Florida one year was the worst possible but this place had it beat. The website, as many others have said, is VERY misleading. Don't even think about this place, many nicer places within 15 minutes if you head toward Hunter Mountain, with much more to do.

Horrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ClaireManners

Don't believe all the misleading good reviews This place is terrible - absolutely the worst hotel my family has ever visited. Grafitti on the doors, smelly rooms, broken faucets, unsafe windows, malfunctioning door locks, and I haven't even mentioned the noise. Midnight and there are kids riding their bikes up and down the hallway. I don't understand these people who claim to like the hotel. Why are they doing such a diservice to other innocent tourists? The Holiday Inn in Kingston is a much better place to stay in the area.

Playing with tractorPlaying with tractor

Feeding the AnimalsFeeding the Animals

Entrance GateEntrance Gate

Caterskill Falls Just Outside Of CatskillCaterskill Falls Just Outside Of Catskill

Comments