10455 Bennett Rd, Fredonia, NY 14063
Days Inn Dunkirk - Fredonia
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Fredonia

(from the ads)(from the ads)

collage of images from town websitecollage of images from town website

stock photo from advertisementstock photo from advertisement

Travel Tips for Fredonia

walking tour of Fredonia.

by davecallahan

There are some nice architectural features about the old buildings in downtown Fredonia.

Start at the center of town: at the corner of Main Street and Temple Street. Here you see a unique arrangement of mirror image parks. Barker Commons, as the parks are known, dates back to the 1820's and has some statuary and fountains of Victorian design.

Continue down Temple Street and circle from Temple to Church to Center to Church to Temple and you will see the Revivalist architecture of the local churches.

Head east down Church Street past Temple Street to Day Street then south on Day back to Main Street and you will see the 19th century architecture of the Barker Library and the Barker Museum and the Post Office.

If you feel upto it, you can now take a long walk down the shady Central Avenue (take Day Street north to the intersection with Central and then walk northeast on Central Avenue).
You will see a nice mix of early 20th century styles in the old homes and small business on Central Avenue.

The total walk described is a leisurely two hour stroll which is good exercise on a nice day.

Fredonia, NY

by nuker

"My School"

In the nineties I went to college at the State University of New York at Fredonia. I was not sure what to expect as I had not really been to this part of the state or had I really known anyone from Buffalo. The next four years was fantastic. I met my wife, several of my friends stood up at our wedding, and we had many more people we met at Fredonia at our wedding.

The school has updated their look and continues to improve asthetically and the town continues to improve as well.

Fredonia, NY.... the college years

by davecallahan

My daughter went to college here so we spent many days in and around the area over those four years.

The town is old: old buildings, old architecture, old layout of roads and traffic patterns. The town is new: new businesses; new housing developments; new entrants to the college and community every year.
The town is a mix of the two: both old and new and the best parts of each for the most part.

Fredonia had its first gas lit village in 1858 by the first gas company in America. Fredonia was the site of the first Grange in the U.S. in 1868

good website for tourists interested in Fredonia is:

the official website is: http://village.fredonia.ny.us/

wikipedia info:
11000 people in3700 households with 2000 families, household income is $35000

The original town name was Canadaway (for the Canadaway Creek) which comes from the Indian word Ganadawao which means "among the hemlocks". It became Fredonia and was made a township in the 1820's.

The town has grown up around the intersection of US20 and Water Street.
It has 11000 permanent residents and thousands of temporary college students who live, learn and work in the area.

ZIPCODE 14062 is Fredonia in the township of Pomfret in Chautauqua County
042°-26-27N 079-20-02W
42.440845, -79.333813
Area Code 716

Fredonia

by NYMansour

I spent my first year of college at Fredonia: State University of New York at Fredonia. Fredonia is a very small city and has the State College to help it's commerce and industry. The surrounding area is very picturesque and fairly hilly. I found this region to be excellent bicycling country, for long training rides. My favorite thing about my time in Fredonia was going on these rides through pretty rural areas. Once, I was attacked by a dog, but no harm done. A passer-by helped me out. This was on a graveled road, way out in no-man's-land.......

Lake Effect Snow

by nuker

"Snow from Lake Erie and Ontario"

In Western and Central New York, we get weather that is influenced by the two Great Lakes near us, Ontario and Erie. These lake are infamous for dumping monumental amounts of snow if a short period of time, and of course throughout a winter season. Some notable snow facts are:

>5-10 inches per hour documented
>On 1/7/76, 68 inches fell at Adams, NY
>From 1/27-31/66 102 inches fell at Oswego, NY
>On 1/77, 149 inches fell in Hooker, NY
>During the 1976-77 season, 466.9 inches fell in Hooker.
>Just this past season (2000-2001), Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo all had over 120 inches of snow for the season.
Lake effect storms are hard to predict, because nobody really knows how much snow is going to fall. They tend to bring heavy squalls, high winds, and frigid temperatures.

The graphic to the left shows the intense snow coming off Lake Ontario over Syracuse and Utica. The darker the color, the more snow that falls.

"Travelling the Highways"

Below is a classic picture of lake snow falling. I have had to travel on the highways, especially I-90, many times during a lake storm. Usually once or twice during the year, the thruway will be closed, trapping people on the roads.

My senior year in college in 1996, we were trapped in Fredonia right before winter break. A storm dropped 21 inches of snow overnight. For what it is worth, we still made it to the store to by beer. Of course, no storm in the world can close the Fredonia bars!

"Shoveling"

A major drawback to a lot of snow is having to shovel it off your driveway and car. During a heavy winter, this can become a nightly ritual. Most of the times in the dark during storms and cold weather. Great exercise though!

"Sledding"

A positive of snow is sledding? Generally made of plastic and sometimes wood, great for winter enjoyment.
I was lucky enough to grow up my whole life near hills so I could enjoy such a great recreational activity.

"How Lake Snow is created"

Lake effect snow forms by two main ingredients: the first being a source of cold air and the second being a large body of warm water. This setup generally happens when a cold arctic airmass "spill Southward". Heat and moisture from the warm lakes rises into the "modified" arctic air where it then cools and condenses into snow clouds. What happens next?

LAKE EFFECT WARNINGS AND STORMS!

The higher elevations, East of Lake Ontario receive the most snow year in and year out. Usually receiving over 200 inches a year.

The basis of a Lake Effect storm is a cold mass of air moving over a warm body of water. The incredible thing about these storms is the huge contrast in snowfall around the area. In a small area like Rochester, part of the city will receive 5-8 inches of snow, another part will receive 1-2 inches and some parts of the area won't get any snow! Strange when it happens, but kind of neat. Where I live in Rochester (about 5-7 miles south of Lake Ontario), I always get some of the Lake snow.

Snow in Chautauqua. Always good for hiking and X-country skiing.

Comments