600 Rte 44-55, Highland, New York, 12528, United States

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

rocking horse ranch resort

It is very affordable all inclusive resort and you get a lot for your money. The rooms and beds are huge and comfortable not fancy though. Cable TV, AC, plenty of storage. Make sure you ask for a room that is not on the first floor or near the playground, because you may not be able to sleep during the day.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included in the price. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style. The food is good but don't come here if you are trying to diet or if you are vegetarian. They make the best pina coladas and mudslides ever.

All activities and entertainment is also included in the price. I really enjoyed the competitons that we had that the activities director made us do like water balloon toss, limbo, etc. Some nights entertainment was ok other times it was dull.

The only thing you pay for is the spa, baby sitting, video games, certain snacks at concession stand.

We went in the summer but they are open all year except some holidays.

Unique Quality: You can ride horses or ponys as many times as you would like. If you have never ridden they offer lessons. There is also horse and carriage rides as well and hay Rides.

You can also learn how to do different country line dancing, songs, fire a gun (its fake), archery, horseshoe pitching.

They have at least 2 indoor pools and 3 outdoor pools, some had slides.
    They had a lake for paddle boat, water skiing, banana boat, kayak. They require that you know how to swim eventhough they offer life preservers. Unfortunately, they will not teach you how to swim. I also saw people fishing but don't know if they caught anything.

They have tennis court, basketball court, shuffleboard court, golf, hiking, volleyball, baseball field, indoor gym, arcade, climbing wall, mining area (fake gems), ping pong.

They had some areas that were really just for kids and I am really not sure what was in them but they look like they were having fun. I know they had arts and crafts for them as well.

In the winter they have skiing and ice skating. Probably other stuff too because the mountain is on the property.

Directions: Dutchess County
    one hour drive from New York City and 5 min from New Paltz

More about Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Great place even for dog lovers!

We took our three kids to Rocking Horse Ranch in the summer of 2004. We loved it. The staff was wonderful, our son got a bloody nose and the staff sent over a house nurse to take care of him. We were very impressed. Next they sat us with a couple and their three children. Needless to say the kids hit it off immediately and so the 10 of us vacationed together for the duration of our stay. We loved it there. Everyone we met was so warm and friendly. Even if you are not absolutely crazy about horses there are so many other things to do. The horses can be dangerous and unpredictable, that was a concern for me, and the guides could definitely have been more helpful. The only complaint I had was there were way too many people on the trail rides but overall I would highly recommend this place. It is worth the trip.

great fun

by TripAdvisor Member kevlaur

family of 4- kids 3 & 9- we were kept busy all day & evening- the staff was friendly & attentive to every need.
we will definetly return on a regular basis.
still don't understand the adult lunch fee though.

Beware!

by TripAdvisor Member Illy1108

Cannot express how dissapointed I am, how angry. My husband, my 7 yr old daughter and I were so excited about our weekend stay at the Rocking Horse and could not wait to ride horses as my daughter is in love with all things equine. We got there early enough on Friday to participate in the 1 PM ride. NY law only requires 14 yr olds and under to wear a helmet, and since I had ridden a handful of times before without incident, I felt secure without one myself. Mistake #1. They brought out a horse for me that the "wranglers" as they are called, were having a hard time controlling. They brought him out and he was resisting them, even as they prepared him for me to mount. I told them the horse was ornery and that he didn't want me on him, but they ignored me and kept fitting the horse, still having a hard time controlling him. When I showed doubt again, the trainer told me the horse was "irritated and impatient, so hurry up and get on already". Since I was the last person in the group to mount, the rest of the party was waiting for me and the wranglers were apparently in a hurry, they rushed me onto a horse that did not want me on him. While I attempted to mount, my foot in the stiruup, the horse resisted, the trainers lost hold of the reigns, and the horse reared up, with me attached, threw me and then fell on me. To make a long story short, I was taken to the emergency room, given cat scans, xrays, the works. Apparently when the horse fell on me, he hit me in the head with his foot. We retuned to the ranch, had dinner, and tried to sleep, which was IMPOSSIBLE from all the noise in the hallways with kids just running loose and making all kinds of noise at 11 PM.Where were these kids parents? I confess to my husband getting up twice at midnight to scream at the kids that were running up and down the halls screaming themselves. We had breakfast the next day and checked out since I was way too uncomfortable to stay and do anything other than lay in bed. We were dissapointed in the way the management handled the whole ordeal and had to ask twice for a full refund. Although my overall experience was so negative, I found the ranch to be (or what would seem to be, since I was not able to participate in any activities) wonderful for kids and had lots to do for them. The food was just average and nothing to look forward to. My warning to all: if you ride you must sign a waiver releasing the ranch of all responsibility. How can an expereinced tranier put a clearly BEGINING rider on a ornery horse is beyond my comprehension. We feel that the wranglers were neglectful and showed poor judgement in placing me on that horse. God forbid it would have been my daughter that got that horse. Or YOUR child. BEWARE!!

Great for Classtrips

Was just at Rocking Horse Ranch with an 8th grade overnight classtrip. Perfect place for classtrips plenty to do for all kids many different activities day and night. Staff very accomondating. Rooms similar to motel setup.

Best Family Vacation Ever

Our family of 14, from Mass, Vermont & Virginia & ages 3 to 60+ just returned from a fantastic 4 night family reunion at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort. It was beyond our expectations in every way!

We all stayed in the Main Lodge in AA rooms which were clean, very large & had plenty of hangars & storage. We liked being in the main building which has a huge lobby area with multiple couches & tables where families could sit, play cards, watch the goings on in the indoor pool or just read & relax & have a drink at the bar.

We loved the choice of activities for all ages & thought we'd have to wait in long lines for our turn but we didn't. There was just so much to do or you could choose to just relax & watch everybody else!

This is a terrific place for families to gather & just have fun. You won't need any fancy clothes here - just shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits, some long-sleeved shirts & long pants if going into the woods or horseback riding, but that's it.

The food kept getting better & better with each meal. It was fresh & plentiful - you could order 2 appetizers & 2 entrees if you wanted to & go to the dessert tables as much as you wanted too. The staff was wonderful - everybody was friendly & helpful & seemed happy just to be there.

The grounds are beautiful & well kept, the adult pools are only 4 feet deep, very large, lots of lounge chairs to sit on. The outside pool area has a snack bar, pool-side games, & music. The childrens' pool is right next to the adult pool & you can watch people playing tennis, bocci, shuffleboard, rock climbing, fishing, kyaking, water skiing, banana boating, etc. etc. from the pool area. Everything is very close together so you don't have to walk very far to get from one sport to another.

They have over 100 horses on the ranch - when we were there, about 70 people went on horseback rides at once - first they had instructions & then they split up as to ability & went on the trails.

All of us felt that this was the best all-inclusive vacation ever - there was no extra charge for anything & no fees for the use of equipment. The only thing that cost extra was in the game room if you wanted to use the arcade games but you could play pool or air hockey for free.

The teenagers in our group loved the place & want to go back. The nightclub entertainment was fun for all ages too. I think the only thing we didn't have time for was the arts & crafts area - we'll do that next time.

All in all, we would highly recommend the Rocking Horse Ranch Resort if you're looking for a great, casual, all-inclusive place to have a family vacation. It was worth every penny!

Great family vacation, but it ain't cheap

by TripAdvisor Member JimmyCa

Back from 4 day, 3 night vacation last week. Our 11 year-old daughter (horse rider) and 9 year-old son loved it. Brochure says your kids will never say "we're bored" and that's absolutely true. For adults, the place grows on you. It's best described as going to camp with your kids. Rooms are clean and well maintained, though outdated and 2-star hotel quality. Dinner quality was surprisingly good. Lunch with the kids was OK - they really ought to throw it in with the package instead of jacking parents for another $5.50 per to eat bad pizza. Breakfast buffet was ok, typical low-end hotel buffet. Actitivites are what makes this place special. Our daughter rode horses twice per day and was in heaven. Our son swam, fished, kayaked, paddle boated, played softball, tennis, volleyball, mini golf, etc. They print a daily schedule of stuff that fills every day and night. Among the best adult features: they roll out a beer keg at 2:30 to the softball field and 4 pm to the volleyball court! For all of this, especially the horse activities, you know it's not going to be cheap - and it isn't. We dropped about $2,500 for 3 nights. It's a little cheaper if you go with a smaller room and stay more nights but I suggest 3 or 4 nights is about the right duration. All in all. a memorable vacation and we're all glad we went.

A new tradition

by TripAdvisor Member redfarb

It may be a bit overpriced based on its posted rates but discounts are available. The kids and I loved the 5 days and 4 nights we spent at RHR in the week before Labor Day. We will likely go back that same week next year and make it a family tradition. The staff is friendly and well trained also there is enough staff to handle all those guests. The people who are working directly with the kids are endlessly patient. The two guys working the lake (banana boat and water skiing) deserve special mention. You guys were great with my kids and handled the crowds very well. The dining room staff were really great too.

We started each day with a big breakfast – which barely changes – the omelets are good and can help with variety. After breakfast we were on the 9:00 horseback ride. My sons and I walked and trotted our mornings away. We typically got another ride in on standby each day. Afternoons of fishing, boating, claming, fun barn etc. meant the kids did not have a dull moment. I liked dinner every night. There was always something on the menu that appealed to me. The service was good and the food was good too (not great but this place is not about food).

My only food comment was the same one I made last year. There needs to be some other snack food around between meals (besides the ever present pound cake) – a veggie tray would be great – why not, people get hungry.

The evening entertainment was just OK. By the time the magician came on I was too tired to do anything but sit there anyway. What I found out on this trip was don’t be afraid to ask the staff – there are a lot of extras that they can provide that are not advertised. More importantly – I received a notice in the mail in early summer saying if you book late you’ll get a 25% discount – I booked in mid August and got the 25% off – a +$600 dollar savings for a family of four! If you can keep you summer plans up in the air to the last minute – this was a great discount.

A kids' paradise

by TripAdvisor Member nsa777

We spent one night (a thursday) at the ranch with our 4yr old and 20 month old. The place surprised us with the number of activities and with the overall quality of the facilities. Our 4 yr old loved the mini golf, the paddle boats and kayaks, and the water slide. We parents were pleased with the separate toddler pool with its own water slide. Our kids were too small for the horse back riding but enjoyed the short pony rides. The main building was charming, and the rooms were fine (we expected little from something called a "ranch"). Meals were also fine with lots of fresh fruit, which was great. We were happy to have hit Carribean day (which I assume is every thursday) with complimentary pina coladas by the pool. Overall a really nice stay.

Good for kids, Wouldn't go if I didn't have kids

by TripAdvisor Member Eaglescout

This place is great for kids - there is so much for them to do including an all day kids camp. Food was fair but entertainment was good but too late at night for the young kids (I think it was 9:00 or 9:30). Entertainment staff is very friendly and accomodating. It was our wedding anniversary and they took the time to acknowledge it. I guess I expected more from the room itself. It was clean but outdated. The bedding I thought was uncomfortable, the walls were thin (easy to hear your neighbors moving around and talking). The screen frame in our window was broken so we couldn't open it. Heater/AC is a unit in the wall. The noise kept me awake. I was also surprised that they didn't have a hair dryer as most pricey places have. The first time that I didn't pack one, there was none available.
Again, I can't stress that if you coming for romatinc getaway, this is NOT the place. But if you want to see your kids have a great time, its all here. As long as you don't mind all the OTHER screaming kids running up and down the hallways and in the dining room. Another thing, much of the other clientelle were RUDE and lack manners (people cutting in line, not holding the door, not saying excuse me when they bump you, acting like the buffet is their last meal so some people practically run you down to get back to their table). I don't know if its a NY thing or what, but this is the first time I went North instead of south for vacation, and let me tell you southern hospitality is cetainly lacking.

It was also VERY expensive. I never paid that much for a weekend get away. Even if you add in the food, which was average, I don't think it was worth the small fortune we've paid.

Comments