30 Cherrytown Road, Kerhonkson, New York, 12446, United States

Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Okay...

We stayed at the Pinegrove Ranch the first weekend in August. After reading the reveiws I was a little hesitant, but I thought how bad can it be. When we checked in the woman at the front desk was not that friendly and seemed annoyed that I was confused about the horseriding sign ups. The room that we stayed in was in the Nevada section, and Oh my it was horrible! Filthy is not the word. The hallway leading up to the room smelled musty and someone spilled chocolate pudding on the rug, and when I went back an hour later it was still there. the water in the toilet and sink were brown, the rugs in the room were filthy and so were the windows. Wanted to check out but by kids did not know any better and seemed happy. The next morning I happened to see another room on the other side of the hotel. The maid was kind enough to open the door and let me see it. It was alot nicer then the room I was in so my husband went to the front desk to see if any of those rooms were available and thankfully there were. Spoke to the manager who was very helpful , and he let us upgrade. After that the stay was not all that bad. The food was okay, the night time entertainment was good. And most of the staff was nice. Put it this way if your looking for luxury this is not for you. If your looking to go horseback riding and just go at your own pace, its not so bad. Make sure you request anything but the Nevada or the Wyoming section.

• Okay...

We stayed at the Ranch on the first weekend in August. Well when we first got there I was already expecting the worst, because of all the bad reviews I read before I went. I thought to myself ... How bad could it be. When we checked in the woman that was at the front desk was not very helpful. We got to our room and was totaly disappointed. The room did have a musty smell to it and the water was brown coming out of the faucet. The rugs were filthy and so were the windows. there was a closet in the hallway outside my room that was unlocked so I opened it only to find a ton of debris inside. My mom had the room next to us and her room was just as bad. Then she had to change rooms because the battery on the entrance box to her room ran out. Dinner was not that bad. The night time shows were not that bad. The next morning I went for a walk around the inside of the hotel only to find myself on the other side of the lobby. I peaked in one of the rooms that were being cleaned by the maid and asked her if I could take a look , and the room was alot nicer. My husband had gone to the front desk to see if we could possibly make a move and we did at no extra charge. That made my stay their alot better. One thing I have to say is if you are looking for luxury, this is not the place to go. If you looking to just do some horseback riding, its not so bad.

More about Pinegrove Ranch & Family Resort

Kids love it so many activities for them but rooms are yucky!!! Food not good!

by TripAdvisor Member matdrew

The night we arrived at the pinegrove. It was late, we were tired and looking foward to getting to bed after a long drive. Well The room they brought us too was dirty, The wall paper was peeling, the carpet was dirty and there was mold on the ceiling. The room also Smelled like sewer (literally we had to move to a differnt room at 1230 at night) If we had not driven so m,any hours we would have packed back up and left but my husband could not keep his eyes open so we stayed.
The pack and play crib they brought for me to put my baby it was really old and absoultly filthy. In fact I told the guy that brought it in that he could take it back beacuse it was so black I felt guilty putting her in it. He said he understood and that he would never put his grandchildern it that either. So I was left having to sleep with my baby in the bed with me. I was afraid to touch anything in the room.

However the kids loved this place! There are a lot of actitvies for them. MY husband couldn't stop complaining beacuse of the room, HE still wanted to leave the next day but the kids were having a good time. The horses are great even my hubby liked that. The boys went fishing, on a hayride, they played paintball (for a seperate fee), lazertag, marshmellow roast and singalongs. The little ones liked the petting zoo and hayride and playground. All and all the kids had a blast, they loved the place!!!!

The outside pool was nice. The food is not good at all.
The outside area is nice and relaxing, trees and distant moutains
My husband said if they remodeled the place we would go back even if we had to deal with the not so good food. The rooms are in dire need of fixing and the dirty crib and smelly room was just unbelievable.

Perfect Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member abbaav

Went with a family group of 13 adults and 10 kids ages 2 months to 9 years.

The range of activities, had many things for everyone (well, except the 2 month old) including adults.

The staff was, without exception, friendly, helpful and accomadating.

The food was good and more than plentiful.

The facilites were clean, in good repair, but not de-luxe.

We will definitely return as a big group or smaller family groups

What is wrong with this place??

by TripAdvisor Member hookipooki15

I was supposed to stay at the Pinegrove for one week but I made my stay short for the following reasons. The rooms were one star rooms made for a rundown motel and it was dirty and held a foul smell. The food become worse and worse the three days we actually stayed there. It was dry, tasteless, and soggy. The staff was rude and did not take care of any of our problems. Entertainment was O.K. but boring for some of us. The pools were dirty and the lifeguards did not watch the pool. And, the stables were the worst. They were dirty and the so-called Wrangalers were extremly rude and did not treat the horses right. The only twot things that we found excelent were the staff at the bars were nice and had fabulous drinks and the daycamp took wonderful care of our two twins who were two years of age. Although those two things did brighten our spirits we were very dissapointed with the service of this hotel. We give them two thumbs DOWN!

Rundown...In Need of an overhaul

by TripAdvisor Member boyz

My husband and I feel that the Pinegrove website falsely markets the property. We took our three boys for two days to experience what we read was a great place for a family vacation. To their credit, the establishment offered a host of activities all day long for all ages (egg tosses, pony rides, horseback riding, country dancing lessons, swimming, etc). However, the resort is very rundown and dirty. Our room was decent (furniture was old and scratched, iron imprint in the rug, chair was broken) but nothing horrible. The sheets were clean as was the bathroom. The main corridors and lobby were well in need of paint and refurbishing. The gates to the gameroom were greasy, sticky and dusty. The indoor pool and miniature golf area was in very poor condition. The pool area needed basic paint (walls, handrails, etc) and the miniature golf mats were old and in very poor condition. The little cafe (Chuck Wagon) was old and in need of a face lift as well. The furniture was not just rustic (which would have been fine) but dirty, run down and poorly functioning (e.g. the tables were wobbly and chairs felt unsafe). Even the little kitchen has old rundown cooking counters and furniture. We left after only a few hours. In summary, the activities seemed plentiful but the place was run down, dumpy and in need of a lot of TLC.

Good Time

by TripAdvisor Member mfagrad04

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at the Pinegrove Ranch Resort. I went with my two sons ages 15 and 9. We had a great time. We enjoyed everything. There was always something to do; they publish a daily schedule. The shows at night were entertaining. We went riding twice and we could have gone more. When you check in you schedule your rides for your entire stay, but you can always stand-by for other times. We also tried paintball - an extra charge of $30.00 per person. The food was good, and there was never a wait. Also, the Chuck Wagon was open from 11-11 for snacks (hotdogs, hamburgers, etc). The room was ok, but we were hardly ever in it, too much to see and do. Everyone is pretty friendly. One of the things I liked was that you eat every meal at the same table with the same wait staff and same guests. If you are looking for luxury this is not the place. However, if you are looking for family fun, this is a good place to go - my sons really enjoyed their time there.
Note: My youngest son was bucked off his horse as we were finishing our first ride. A huge horsefly landed on the back of his horse and the horse reacted by bucking. Unfortunately my son was still onboard. He was a sore and had a few scratches but the staff did what they could to help him get back on the next day -the head wrangler was great. We went out again the following day.

Don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member Allboys64

I went to the "resort" with my four boys (10, 8, 6 & 3 1/2) and was very, very disappointed on how dirty this resort is. The room was absolutely disgusting, with peeling wall-paper and a bathroom in desperate need of repair. The water, throughout the resort, had a sulfur smell which took a couple of days to get out of my hair. I was told they tapped into a new well and that was the reason for the odor. They did give bottled water in the dirty room. My 3 1/2 year old almost drowned in the pool and the lifeguard made no attempt to jump in. The food was nothing to rave about. The chuck wagon was great because the kids were able to go there all day long for snacks and drinks, (they have the best chocolate chip cookies). I will say the boys didn't mind because they did have a lot of fun with the activities that were available to them. To sum it up, it was like going to sleep away camp with your parents. If this place did some serious remodeling, I think it could be a great place.

Loved Loved Loved this place!

by TripAdvisor Member Jonsmom57

I have been coming to Pinegrove for the past 3 years and every year it gets better! The on going renovations are making the place look amazing! Not only do the kids have a GREAT time, but so do the adults. From Shirley ringing the bell for breakfast with a friendly "Howdy" through the amazing shows at night, there is never a dull moment. Judy, Anthony and the entire activities staff keep the place hopping with the many activities going on. My mother-in-law and I wait for our daily "BINGO" tournament while my husband anxiously awaits his dodgeball defeat from the kids.

The staff is superb and is always ready to help in any situation. The bartenders are the best of any place I have ever been to.

I mother of a 5 year old and usually do not let my son out of my sight for long, but at Pinegrove, I have no fear of letting him go off on his own. He is always off with his cousins in some kind of activity (which are numerous). This last week, my son learned how to play Bocci Ball and actually won the tournament !!!!

My husband went fishing on our first day here and caught a Large Mouth Bass (Over 12 inches). He brought it back to the ranch, gave it to the kitchen staff and they cooked it to his specifications. It was AMAZING!

My mother-in-law has already put her deposit down for the NEW YEARS Celebration!

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK. IT IS LIKE GOING HOME AGAIN!

An Excellent Family Resort

by TripAdvisor Member stabacco

I was very upset when I read the nasty reviews of this place. Obviously the people that went here for a vacation did not realize that they were going to a "Dude Ranch". They must have thought that they were going to a hotel that also offers horseback riding.

I have been coming to Pinegrove for three years now. And they have made improvements every year. From adding a fireplace in the main lobby, to upgrading the rooms with new mattresses and carpeting. I am sure as in any other family resort that the improvements are always ongoing.

The food I have to say is not the best I have eaten. But with all the options that they have, and the opportunity to have as much as you like at every meal I can't think of a better deal. Not to mention that they have a separate menu for kids. As well as the "Chuck Wagon" where you can always get a burger, fries, hotdog, ice-cream, cookies, slushies at no charge, and as often as you like. Many a time I come in from an activity to see my son walking back and forth with fries and slushies for my wife and mom while they play bingo.

Speaking of activities, if you want a place to take your kids where they won't be saying every five minutes, "I need something to do". Then this is the place to go. There is always something going on for the kids to do. From ping pong to bocce ball, they not only have a lot of fun but they can also earn pinegrove dollars to spend at the gift shop so you don’t have to worry about going broke buying them souvenirs. Did I mention the daily dodge ball adults vs. kid’s everyday???

If you are looking for a vacation to have a great time with the family then this is the place to go.

Better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member wwallen49

I was concerned with the reviews which either seemed great or very poor - nothing in between. Nonetheless, I've been wanting to try this place for over 7 years. Expecting a mediocre experience, I was pleasantly surprised. The place was clean, yet needed updating in the rooms (wallpaper, sinks needed replacing) but the room was warm and big and the beds were super comfortable. There were several choices for the meals to fit everyone's needs, and the meals overall were quite good, and served very fast (especially breakfast). The service was decent, but the drink selection was very poor. Ice tea was absolutely horrible, so we stuck with water or brought a soda with us to dinner from the vending machines. (Recommend bring a cooler with own drinks) Wine and beer as well as other drinks were available to purchase. They did a great job with the activities (haunted house, scavenger hunt, circus show), but the horse trails were not what I expected. Too many riders at a time and basically the trails were nonexistent. You walked between trees on the side of a mountain. With so many people attending this place, I thought they would have made nicer trails by now. I would like to try other dude ranches, and would check into the ride opportunities more closely. There was alot of waiting on our horses because of the # of people on a ride. But overall, the experience met my expectations, and the kids had a good time which was the point.

Pleasant Short Getaway for families

by TripAdvisor Member MOM-VAULT

My husband, 2 daughters (11 & 14) just returned from a 2 night stay at the Pinegrove Ranch during NJ teacher's convention break. It turned out to be a great mini vacation for us. Remember that we were there midweek in November so there were only about 70 guests on Wednesday night(most from NJ) which gave us the run of the place. They do have all of the activities they advertise. The adults vs kids dodge ball game seemed to be a crowd favorite. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay.
I was pleased with the food and service. Bringing your own cooler with drinks is a great idea. One note -- although they charge you a 15% service fee at booking time -- you are still kind of expected to tip. The dining room staff leaves an envelope on your table the last day. The same with the bartenders at the evening cocktail party.
All of the previous posts are correct that some of the facities could use a facelift. The indoor pool area could use some TLC.
The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable.
We all enjoyed the horseback riding. They seem to take good care of their horses. The rocky inclines on part of the trail was a little scary. (Avoid riding COMET -- he has mind of his own and is kind of uncooperative).
The chuck wagon is a favorite with all of the kids. They seemed to love walking down and getting slurpies & fries.
All four of us definitely enjoyed our stay and may go back at some time in the future for another short stay (3 nights).

Comments