Schwartz's Inn

70 North Front St., Kingston, New York, 12401, United States

More about Kingston

Tony and I, all smiles.Tony and I, all smiles.

Plateau, Sugarloaf and part of Indian Head MtnPlateau, Sugarloaf and part of Indian Head Mtn

Closer View - Fall 2000Closer View - Fall 2000

The mighty Hudson RiverThe mighty Hudson River

Travel Tips for Kingston

Quasimodo's ride through Kingston

by feline01

Chris and I decide to take a trolley ride offered by the Trolley Museum of NY, 89 East Strand Street, in the Rondout district next to the Maritime museum. Anway, we just got off the boat ride and there's a trolley right there. We're told it's a 40 minute journey along the banks of the Hudson for $3 per person. Sounds great. It's run by an old guy and another man who looks like Quasimodo, and both smell awful. The trolley starts its journey, bouncing along extremely poorly maintained tracks, past the scrap-iron dump, gigantic gas tanks, a junkyard and other beauties of Kingston. The tracks at this point become covered in vegetatation. The trolley stops in the middle of a causeway with a pond on one side and the Hudson on the other and the old guy says we have to wait there because of repairs. We sit there for 15 minutes doing nothing though the scenery is beautiful here. We then face the seats the other direction and head back, no specific reason as to why we stopped in the first place. Along the way back, Quasimodo is walking in front of the trolley, weeding the tracks. All very interesting and funny. Certainly not a well-funded museum but they're devoted to the trolley's. I do appreciate their enthusiasm about this mode of travel.

Esopus Lighthouse in...

by Easty

Esopus Lighthouse in Saugerties. A nice looking lighthouse along the Hudson River.

Just north of Saugerties off US 9W. Follow the signs to the Lighthouse. It will require a 1/2 mile walk to get to.

Trolley Museum of NY

by feline01

1st-do read my favorite memories of Kingston if you plan on visiting this museum.

This museum is obviously a labor of love. Don't expect a fancy museum, it is run on a very tight budget. I don't have a particular obsession with trolleys, I just can never pass on a scenic train ride or anything that resembles one. If you're like me, then you would probably like this museum. The trolley takes you out along the Hudson along Kingston bay. Once you pass the garbage dumps and refinery, the scenery is very pleasant.

A LITTLE CITY WITH A LOT OF CULTURE

by moiraistyx

"A BRIEF HISTORY OF NEW YORK'S ORIGINAL CAPITAL"

Before this great little city was called Kingston it was called Esopus after a local Indian tribe. It was later renamed Wiltwyck which is Dutchfor wild area. Wiltwyck was one of the three largest settlements in New Netherland. When the area was taken over by the British in 1664 it was renamed Kingston. In 1777 Kingston became the first capital of New York.

I visit Kingston often because I have clients who live there. I have been able to see just about every aspect of the city and know first hand there are places and areas to avoid. A good example of a place to avoid in the King's Inn. Check out my tips to find out why. There are definately places that are a must see in Kingston. The Roundout Water Front is one of them.

I hope to add a great deal of information to this page in the near future. Until then I hope you enjoy my work in progress.

Kingston, The 1st Capital of New York State.

by feline01

Kingston is a historic city located on the west bank of the Hudson River not far from Woodstock and the Catskill Mountains. Part of the city is a bit dumpy. Derelict buildings and unsavory characters hanging about but the Rondout area, near the river has been gentrified and is very pleasant. The downtown area (Stockade district) is quaint as well and pleasant to stroll. Unique covered sidewalks are a great sight to see. Many historic buildings to take a gander at. Kingston has at least 2 dozen pre-revolutionary war stone houses that are still occupied today. Not much for visitors from overseas but considering history in the USA is demolished to build a fast food restaurant or chain store, this is a pretty amazing feat for a city. The photo was taken as the boat was exiting Ronout Creek and entering the Hudson River. Checkout the travelogue for more scenic Kingston pics.

Comments