1533 State Route 9, Lake George, New York, 12845, United States

Expedia.com Comfort Suites Hotels.com

• LauriS11's Profile Photo

Will NEVER stay there again!

This was the worst stay I have ever had! The owner/manager, George Stark saw me walking my dog on the perimeter of the property and immediately drove up to me and said "Pack your bags and leave!" I was totally shocked and could not understand his aggressive behavior. He said that this hotel was "not pet friendly" and that I was breaking the rules by having my lab there. I told him I had NO idea that he could not be walked anywhere on the property -- of course, I knew animals were not welcome in the hotel and that is why he slept in his dog bed in my subaru. I had promised my son a trip to swim on the way to Grandma's. Mr. Stark called me a liar and said I was sneaking around with my dog to break the rules. He told me to pack up and leave immediately. It was 8 pm and it was snowing and icing (day before Thanksgiving). I told him I booked the reservation online and was not made aware that "NO DOGS WERE EVEN ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY". He called me a liar again and again told me I had to leave. I just couldn't believe it. I explained to him that I am a 1st grade teacher and my husband is a soldier serving in Afghanistan right now - we are rule followers…I simply was unaware of this rule. I then explained to him that I had a 9 year old disabled son in the hotel room who was asleep with my mom and that I couldn't move him. He said he didn't care and that he had kids of his own but, none of that mattered. I told him that I was NOT going to wake up my little boy and move him in a snow storm to an unknown hotel. I went straight to my room and got my computer and printed out my confirmation email and the webpage I reserved through and neither said anything about pets! I had no idea! In fact, I had fed my lab in front of the hotel and my mom had already taken him for a walk around the perimeter once. We were hardly sneaking around! It was a horrible experience. I was called a liar and would have been kicked out if I had not stood my ground for my sleeping son with Down Syndrome. I am appalled and will never stay in a choice hotel again if this is not dealt with in some manner that shows me this manager was completely out of bounds with me. I read the bad reviews that night (on choice hotels.com) and they mentioned over and over how George Stark and his twin brother, Michael Stark, are overly aggressive and completely out of line with customers. I would never have believed these reviews had I not experienced this myself! Some of those reviews are several years old so, since it is still happening I am led to believe that the upper management at choice hotels do not care how their hotel name is being represented. Please contact me to show me differently.

• comfort and convenience

This is a nice hotel.

The furnishings are pleasant.

It's clean, quiet and the staff is friendly.

The breakfast is very good.

The only drawback is the noisy waterslide attached to the pool for the kiddies.
    A little tough to take a nice relaxing morning swim with the waterslide noise.

Overall, this place is a very nice place to stay.

Unique Quality: location

• terrible

Yet, when I made my reservation I signed up for a choice priveledges account to earn rewards, and I paid for the hotel online through this site. I entered the cc info online, but, did not check to the box to consent to the storage of my cc information. But, the information was not only illegally stored, but also was shared, and forwarded. Now, choice did not forward me to the local hotels website to input the information, they are trying to say that they are not liable for this security breach. If they don't want to be held liable for this, then they should forward you to the appropriate number, or website to input the information. At the very least they should try to help all of us people with a resolution to the problems that arise out of this practice. They just collect our info, what are their duties as a franchise, is to help all of their patrons, or say it is not our problem, it is yours, so tough luck buddy. I would like to have all problems emailed to me at karamarieoneil@aol.com I have read a lot of stories that match mine, and it sounds like I care a lot more than choice hotels inc. The phone numbers for them I found online are
    301-592-5000I am trying to get resolve for all of the people and their families that have had their vacation ruined by comfort suites in Lake George NY. AKA "Stark Enterprises" franchised by the choice hotel group. The choice group franchises hotels such as hilton, quality inn, comfort suites, ect.. in other words, a very large network, one of the largest in the world. The CEO is Stephen Joyce, the chairperson is Ranja Bhana, and Stewart Bainum. I am strongly trying to contact these people to help me out, as well as all of the other people whoh have posted their awful experiences at comfort suites in Lake George NY. I personally have never been talked down to in this way. I have gone through all of the channels like so many others trying to get resolve. I constantly referred to the choice hotels assist line. The only thing they do is tell me that these hotels are independant franchises, and individually owned to contact and work it out through the local hotel.
    301-592-5000
    and fax line is
    301-592-6157
    president,CEO, and director Stephen Joyce age 50 866-541-3773
    owner= Ranja Bhana
    Chairman Steward Bainum age 64
    I am not sure but I need to talk to someone who is higher up. Maybe they really do care, but they just haven’t had a chance to hear all of our stories. We will find out, and keep you posted. As you can see I have the names and numbers of the people who can make a difference. I almost had one of the owners of comfort suites in Lake George arrested for theft. He used my credit card without my authorization, and I was assured by my attorney that was definitely illegal. I need to find out first though, who stored the information. Was it comfort Suites, or was it choice hotels. I guess they better find out soon for me. Or, I will have to send a summons, and complaint to both of them. I am not the only person that has had their personal information stolen by these people. We need to ban together to get some resolution. I am losing sleep, and will not be able to sleep until I can be sure that not one more person has a vacation like mine, I work hard, and I only get one vacation a year, only to have it ruined by these people.
    I hope we all hear back from choice international soon. Everyone of us should be heard, and should have our concerns addressed. This should have already taken place but, lets hope that we can change this for the future. Many illegal things are taking place at comfort suites in Lake George NY. They are stealing information, stalking their guests, invading privacy with illegal survallience (including in the areas of the pool, and other places you would expect privacy.) (I whole heartedly believe that the manager of this hotel has pictures of children changing their clothes in the pool areas.) They are using these cameras to make a profit with the videos, they stand outside your doors, and try to peep in your room while you are in there. The maids go through your things when you are not there. Maybe all together we can fix this. Let us be heard, I must believe in my heart that the people who run choice do care. They run over 11000 hotels in the U.S alone. They didn’t get to where they are today by not caring about their patrons, or stealing from them. I believe that our stories need to go to the top. That way they can fix what is going wrong in this choice hotel brand Comfort Suites of Lake George NY. A couple of bad apples is all it takes to ruin the bunch.

Unique Quality: The owner works at the front desk

More about Comfort Suites Lake George

Fantastic place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Voyageurs5

This is a brand new hotel, and 100% smoke-free. You know right off the bat that you are welcome here when you're cheerfully greeted on check in by one of the owners, twin brothers Michael and George. Made us feel like valued guests immediately. Our room had a king sized bed with a separate sitting area, and was huge when compared to "normal" rooms. TV was a 42" flat screen LCD with full cable. Maintenance and cleanliness were top notch, and Lillian who looked after our room was such a friendly person. Excellent pool, exercise and games room, and complimentary breakfast was eggs, waffles, danish, etc., way beyond the often seen coffee and muffins. Our best summary of our experience at this hotel would be to say that we had all the benefits of a really good hotel, with the hospitality of a B&B. And, it's right next door to the outlet malls.... We are looking forward to our next visit.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member jktmrose

I stayed at the Comfort Inn for a work related trip on Dec. 4-5.The staff was congenial and helpful. The hotel was spotless and the room was large and also spotless, The hotel manager/owner seemed very proud of the building and enjoyed talking to the guests. The breakfast was great to top it off. It would be a perfect place to bring my family on a trip back to Lake George.

Best Beds

by TripAdvisor Member Silverprincess

I had a chance to stay at the beautiful new Comfort Suites in Lake George and loved it. The staff working to greet us at the front desk were very nice, polite and we had a nice conversation. The room was very clean, oversized, with couch, microwave, coffee maker, fridge, flat panel tv. The best part was the two Queen beds. They had the most
comfortable mattresses I have ever slept on! I had a very good nights sleep. The hotel also offers a continental breakfast in the morning. They have a good variety of items to chose from. That day there was make your own waffles, scrambled eggs, toast, english muffins, some breakfast pastries, cereal, juice, and all the coffee you want. I would highly recommend this hotel. It has a very cozy lodge feel to it.

Nice place, poor management

by TripAdvisor Member Rossbt

I have never been to a hotel where the staff is such a poor judge of character. We went to the hotel with 3 other families all with small children and got adjoining rooms. It was New Years Eve, and told them up front we were coming to revel in 2008.
Within ½ an our of arrival the owner, Michael Stark, told us that he did not want any trouble and he was concerned when families get together. It turns out the only trouble came from Mike. We were followed throughout the hotel. He harassed my 15-year-old niece because he found gum on the floor somewhere in the hotel and she was chewing gum! It seemed like Mike was out to get us, and complained when we brought a cup into the pool area. We talk with other families that felt the same as we did.
My brother in law confronted him and told him to give us our $$ back and we would leave. But he would not part with is $$. Mike ruined the New Year by coming to our adjoining room and told us not to gather at 11:45PM! Why rent adjoining rooms if you do not want people to be there? Why not offer a place to gather?
The hotel in nice, clean and well cared for; the management is terrible. We went there looking for a memorable time and left with something to talk about!

Belated review but a very nice stay in Lake George

by TripAdvisor Member TimesTwo

My original review for this hotel never showed up so I am doing another one a little belatedly. We stayed end of last summer with our two young children. It was our first time in the Lake George area as a family and we chose this hotel mainly because it was new and they had availability despite booking pretty late for peak season. There were only a few reviews up at the time and some were pretty strange but we decided to give it a try anyway. I am really glad we did!

The room while not truly a two room suite, was brand new, very clean and comfortable for our family of 4. All the hotel facilities were very clean also, which is very important to us. It probably would have been nice to have an outdoor pool with the summer weather, but the kids loved the indoor pool and did not seem to mind at all. They also really enjoyed the playground in the back. It is not directly in town but was a quick drive to just about everything. We actually wound up liking the location because even on a main road it was quiet compared to the town which got very crowded at night. If you prefer not to have to drive everywhere it may not be the best choice.

We had no issues at all with management or the owners as a few others have posted. In fact everyone we encountered was professional and courteous, giving us local recommendations, directions and at one point even drawing us a map so we could find a local restaurant that was a little outside the main tourist area. I guess if I had to find anything to complain about it would be the breakfast area got very crowded and they seemed to have some trouble keeping up with the demand. Part of that issue was solved by getting there early and taking our food back to our room. Also housekeeping came really late a few days of our stay.

Other than that we were very pleasantly surprised by how nice this hotel was, especially compared to others we saw in the area and we would most definitely go back.

Much more than we expected!

by TripAdvisor Member dafense

My wife and 2 kids (4 & 6) decided on a last minute ski trip to Gore Mountain, and we decided to stay in Lake George based upon advice of the Mountain staff. If you understand what you are getting with a Comfort Inn/Suites (this is not a Four Seasons), then this hotel should be looked at as a five star version of a two star hotel. I could not have asked for anything better, and we will definitely stay there again. The staff is friendly and kind and they go out of the way to be so, including holding doors and always having a smile. My kids loved the indoor pool with the water slide and the hot tub (yes we went to the Great Escape Lodge indoor water park but our young kids seemed happier at the little pool and slide here). We stayed in a deluxe suite (basically 2 full size rooms) which was huge by hotel standards. The down pillows and conforters were extremely comfortable. The free breakfast with homemade belgian waffles was terriffic. (although if i wanted to really pick, they could use some cream cheese and apple juice) My only complaint would be that they could use a kitchenette more than the 2 showers!

This is the only hotel I have been to in Lake George (actually Glens Falls) but I see no reason to try any other, unless i decide to stay closer to the mountain. Well worth the stay, especially for the price.

Unexpectedly pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member Lman-NY

This Comfort Suites is unexpectedly pleasant in almost every way. It is conveniently located on a little hill off Rte 9 just to the south of Lake George. The lobby is big bright and open, and the staff is friendly. I imagine this may be because the owner works the front desk - we found him there Sunday morning on checkout. Our room was big, bright, very clean, very comfortable. The beds were of a higher quality than I expected, more like a Hilton. Breakfast is OK, nothing special but the usual make-it-yourself waffles, cereals, toast/muffins, sausage, scrambled eggs, served in a big breakfast room. There is a pool with a fun-looking slide, but we didn't use it. The only tiny gripe I had was that the jack for free wired internet (no wifi) was below the desk but no sign or message that that is the case. Since I didn't feel like crawling around looking for it, I didn't bother. Overall this is a very nice place.

Love the Comfort Suites

by TripAdvisor Member Mtltraveler08

The Comfort Suites is a perfect place for a family get-away.
The hotel is spotless clean, the staff is very nice and the indoor pool is spectacular! We had a very pleasant stay and will go back for sure.

Blessing in Disquise

by TripAdvisor Member ShopaholicNewJersey

My daughter and I found ourselves in a jam recently when the hotel we had a reservation at was closed for renovations when we got there. Nobody from the hotel had called to let us know. So we started our search for a room for two nights. We happened upon the Comfort Suites. The desk manager, Michael, was as sweet as could be and very accommodating. The hotel is clean, the rooms are comfortable and we found the staff to be extremely helpful and courteous. They have a beautiful indoor pool(with a slide for the children) and hot tub. They have a game room and a lovely little restaurant where your free breakfast includes eggs, sausage, waffles, all kinds of breads and muffins, a variety of cereals and of course, coffee. They also have a lovely outdoor area where there is a play area for the children and where families can have a picnic. As it turned out, we were glad that the other hotel didn't work out.

The only downside we could find was that they don't offer any pay per view movies. However, they do offer HBO and cable.
Will definitely be going back again.

Comments