Fort William Henry Resort

Satisfaction Average

More about Fort William Henry Resort

One of the better hotels in Lake George

by TripAdvisor Member PMATHEWS

We just returned from 3 days and 2 nights at The Fort William Henry Resort. Our accomodations were OK...more "motel" than "resort". I wish that the website had more detail when I booked our room (it does now). We would have paid the extra money to be in the main section of the hotel versus the building "near the outdoor pool". We had breakfast one morning at the hotel and it was not worth the money (too expensive) and the quality wasn't great either. Staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were very clean. Outdoor pool was beautiful!

The worst place to stay in Lake george

I discovered Lake George last year. I spend my Forth of July weekend in Holiday Inn and had a blast, but this year it was the nightmare. I stayed in Fort William Henry Resort. I felt simply betrayed when asked to stay in a ugly, dirty and smelly room I paid $200 for. The room was filthy, no cooler, no sheets (we had to call). And like somebody said before, the breakfast is terrible, too. Never again. Do yourself a favor I skip this place while looking for accommodation.

Awful Place to have breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Ronb89

Didnt stay at this resort and wont after the the breakfast from hell, my wife daughter and I decided to have breakfast here one morning while on Vacation in lake george , the breakfast meats and homefries tasted like they were from the day before buffet meal , the service bad , sent food back 2 times , same results , Bill $31.00 told manager you must be kidding she took $11.00 of the bill, next day had a outstanding breakfast at HO JOs , 3 real breakfast $ 23.00. food and service great.

Save your Money for the Attractions

I took my family to one of the higher priced resorts, thinking more money = better service and beter failities. Boy was I wrong. After listening to the old woman at the desk give me wrong directions to my room I drove my car to the area that she described only to be yelled at by one of the staff. He did make it up by giving us 10% of our lunch....hooray. When we got to our room and opened the door we were immediately hit with the smell of lingering Mildew, which brought back daunting memories of a Jamaica hotel I had stayed at. It is a bit of a walk to the village, but still maintains enough disatnce to be quite at night (you would think). Not so. In our wing was junior high school trip with a bunch of loud screaming 11 - 13 year olds. Try sleeping next door to that.
The next morning, we tried breakfast at the hotel. Like everything else, the breakfast was terrible. The service was slower than I had evr seen. There were three tables and it took us almost an hour to get the food. Hello this is breakfast (The words speak for themselves). As our food came outand the waitress approached us, the whole tray went down as she tripped over her own shoes. Down went our meals that we had waited almost an hour for, all over the floor (try waiting an hour for food with a toddler). She apologized and immediately ran back to the kitchen to rush out more food. Much quicker the 2nd time around. It would have helped if she wold have cleaned the mess on the floor before we left. We finally got the 2nd round of food and it was meager to say the least. When I poured out the syrup on my pancakes, a layer of water or some sort of non-syrup liquid poured out all over my french toast (probably some toddler's juice). Nothing seemed very fresh and when I finally got the bill, I almost fell over. $32.00, even after they took off $9.00 for all the wait and dumping of our food.
The indoor swimming pool was okay. Nothing to write home about. When I walked over to the jacuzzi to think about going in, the overflowing bubbles prevented me. I didn't even bother to try to figure out what the bubbles were about.
Finally, in the last day, we checked out and everything else was fine at the hotel(although it rained the whole time we were there), but I can't blame the hotel for that.
We left and went for coffee. I stopped at this Confectionary place on the North end of the Village. I wanted to get myself something sweet and a cup of coffee as well. The girl at the counter was pleasant and was filling my order and noticed that the coffee was really hot and burning her hand through the cup. When she handed me the cup I could barely believe it either. The cup was so hot you couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds. I asked if she had a sleeve and the owner told her that he was out of them. I asked if I could get a 2nd cup to lessen the heat. The owner immediately began to throw a fit in a sort of Italian accent. "These cups cost $75.00 dollars a box and we don't just give them out to people.' I told him I would pay extra for the cup and He told me that I sure would pay extra for the cup. He then started to walk away stating that the bikers were here last week and didn't complain about the coffee being to hot and then went off on some wild tangent about "if people like me wouldn't be on their cell phones all the time while driving, maybe we would be able to hold the coffeee...." The fact that I was not on my cell phone or even carrying one on me in the store did not phase him. I finally told him, "You know what? Keep your coffee because I do not need to do business with you!" As I left I could see the girl behind the counter smiling. I'm sure she knew her boss was way off. He actually ran out after me to write down my License Plate #. Please; I left the stuff in the store. This guy needs to find a special place where he can learn to relax and be nice to people.

1. I would definately suggest, if you would like to go to a nice hotel then read the reviews 1st(which I forgot to do). This one is definately not worth the money you pay for it.
2. Stay away from that Confectionary on the North end of town. The owner is a Nasty Old man that needs to learn that Tourists keep him in business and if you treat us poorly, we will spread the word about your nastiness to everyone we know.

Disappointed

We made reservations for a smoking room. Wanted a room in the hotel.
When we checked in we received room 204 outside the main hotel in the concrete unit nonsmoking. No microwave no fridge and a one cup coffie maker. I told the front desk about the problem and was told sorry we are booked up. On the second day of our stay I was having trouble with breathing when I was in the room. I checked the filter in the a/c and it was clogged with dirt and mold. I an a maintance engineer at Hilton Hotels.
I will not go to this hotel again. This was our sixth trip to the lake. We will stay at a hotel across the street. We stayed there before. Much better at a better price. We payed way too much for what we received.

Not the Greatest Experience

by TripAdvisor Member NassauMom

My family and I went to Lake George for the first time ever in late August-early September 2005, over Labor Day weekend. I had researched quite a bit beforehand including reading many reviews on this site, and decided to stay at the Ft. William Henry because it seemed to be centrally located, and the reviews varied wildly. I booked the expensive room w/Jacuzzi etc.

The Positives: our room was clean if very utilitarian; no "adirondack" touches, just usual hotel furnishings. I saw the "old motel" part of the resort but did not see any of the rooms; but they did look dingy.

Gorgeous gorgeous view of the lake and mountains from our window. My mom (75) enjoyed the Thursday night fireworks from the bedroom window which overlooked the lake. Note: the hotel is not directly "on" the Lake, but set back from it; you just need to walk out the back of the hotel, and down a path to reach the Lake.

Jacuzzi was fun for the kids altho the knobs kept falling off.

Outdoor pool - was big and uncrowded, overlooks the lake; but is cold. There were also a LOT of bugs floating in it, which turned off my kids. I don't how often they clean it. Waiters come and provide you with drinks if you are so inclined.

Indoor Pool -- there is a small, steam-filled indoor pool area and hottub with no lifeguard. No towels either when we arrived, but they came later.

Location - fantastic. At the head of the lake with a great view. The hotel is short walking distance to Fort William Henry (good and fun historic site to see with kids about the French-Indian War), Million Dollar Beach (nice public beach), and the 3 main cruise ships (Minne-Ha-Ha, Mohican, and the Lac du St. Sacrament). Just a short walk out the hotel veranda, down a hill, and you are on a "boardwalk" with quite a bit to do, including a horse and carriage ride, shopping the tourist shops, ice cream, the beach, the Fort, and the cruise ships. Also, 5 minutes in the other direction is the Village of Lake George with the arcades/shops/etc. This is the hotel's real selling point -- location. Although we stayed during Labor Day weekend, we never heard noise from the Village or cars; it was our neighbors in the hotel who kept us up!

Back Veranda: It was great to come out at the end of the day and sit on nice wicker chairs/chaises/loveseats with cushions, overlooking the lake. Bartenders were set up and waiters take your order; on Thursday, you can sit there in your chair with a drink and watch the beautiful fireworks. Families came out, bringing cards and games, and the kids would make friends and run around the big lawn and play ball or hide and seek.

Water Slide World: 5 minutes down the road. Was very empty when we went on Labor Day weekend for some reason, so the kids had the place to themselves which was great.

Prospect Mountain: 5 minutes down the road, travel up a State Highway to the top of Prospect Mountain. Every few miles they have a "lookout point" so you can stop and take pics of the surrounding Lake George area, and it continues to the top where they have a shuttle bus that takes you to the very summit. Great views, picnic spots, etc.

The Negatives:

Toilets -- ours did not flush properly; needed several flushes to finish the job.

Blankets were cheapest polyester; pillows way too soft and worn to death. Should have brought my own.

Walls were thin -- we heard EVERYTHING going on in the room next door; including screaming and jumping kids at 1 AM going on without respite until I called the front desk who then came and chastised the neighbors.

Service -- OK, not the greatest.

Greed --- in the morning, there was a girl w/coffee pots and danishes etc. in the front lobby. Nothing fancy. You would think coffee would be complimentary, particularly when paying over $250 per night. No -- you had to pay for the coffee, danish if you wanted it, plus tip the girl. At the very least, the coffee could have been free!

Food -- did not eat there so I can't comment. We did eat twice at the Lookout Cafe which is in front of the hotel and also overlooks the lake. Again, the biggest selling point here is location location location. Otherwise, its really bad -- franks, fries, the cheapest and fastest of foods, with bees everywhere (it is only outdoor seating overlooking lake). All the other places we ate at were horrible, including Christie's on the Lake. We did walk over to the breakfast buffet at the White Lion but it was empty which was not a good omen. Your best bet is going to Howard Johnson's up the street.

Amenities: the website advertised fishing poles that could be checked out so the kids could go to the dock and fish. When I inquired, I was told they stopped that "a long time ago" but the concierge did not know why. I also asked for a deck of cards when I was out on the veranda w/the kids, but again, concierge said they were "out" of cards.

All in all -- for the money -- not the best bargain; not the greatest service; but location was unbeatable for those new to Lake George who want to be near the attractions. Not the greatest for those looking for a more out of the way place.

P.S. I loved the Lake George region so much I came back Columbus Day weekend and stayed at the Sun Castle Resort -- see my review separately..... ;).

P.P.S. I would not return to the Fort William Henry. There are too many other choices and I don't think this is worth the $$.

The Best in Lake George

by TripAdvisor Member kbmack

I have stayed here a number of times, and have always had a wonderful time. The rooms are spotless and the customer service is outstanding. The jacuzzi suites are beautiful. They have a clean indoor pool and hot tub. They have various lodging options from budget & family friendly to luxurious suites. The staff attend to any request and or concern immediately and graciously. I highly recommend this hotel.

Okay

by TripAdvisor Member janeg1568

Arrived on 2/17/06 to a very dark hotel. No power in the whole town. Okay...we went for dinner in the only town with power and stalled for time. We were told power would be back on by 6pm. Came back @ 6pm and still no power. Very concerned for our safety having two small children and no power to hotel. We waited until 9pm to check in because it was too cold to stay in the car. The room temp. was 65 F, better than outside.

Okay the power came back on @ 11pm. The next day of course the kids wanted to go swimming but the pool was freezing!

Our stay was okay. Sad that we weren't offered any discount on the room or any discount towards breakfast for no power.

Not Bad, Better in Summer.

by TripAdvisor Member brny

Stayed here President's Weekend when the area was without power. Almost impossible getting through to make a reservation. Most hotels in LG were closed due to season or power loss.
Finally, we got a room here and the women at the front desk were very nice and accomadating. Room was average, nothing great. Location was perfect, nice view of the Lake and walking distance to everything. The room next to us had a loud, bratty pre-teen in it and you can hear him banging and screaming all night. Walls are very thin.
Tried to book another room 2 hours later (we had 3 people and wanted more room) and the price was double for the same type of room! They knew people were desperate because of the power loss so they took advantage of it.

lovely wedding hotel needs some improvement

we went there for a wedding- there are 3 choices for rooms standard, deluxe and suites .we stayed in a deluxe room, relatives stayed in each of the others, the standard room are in in older section 2 story building had lots of noisy teens and no elevators.the deluxe room was much better king bed with sofa in a quieter part of the hotel, the suites were small not worth the extra price. the view from all the rooms was outstanding- lake view and it was close to downtown Lake George- you could walk around the boardwalk and right next to the fort. There are several weddings on Summer weekends which closes the restaurant and bar in the hotel , there is cabana bar but it is small closes at 9pm.The restaurant service for breakfast was slow, my aunt ordered a bran muffin and got a greasy blueberry one- when the waitress was asked she said that was the bran muffin of the day. The rooms were clean but there were no towels at pool and hot tub - we called front desk and they said they would " try" to send some. We were there over 30 minute -no towels. My sister misplaced her jacket in the private wedding reception front desk was not helpful.

Wax MuseumWax Museum