Surfside on the Lake

Satisfaction Average

More about Surfside on the Lake

It Stank!!

by TripAdvisor Member CinPurz

We were told by the management when we reserved our cabin that it would be big enough for our family of five. We decided to go ahead and reserve a beach front cabin. We discovered that to get to the beach front cabin we had to climb down some delapitated stairs to a small room on top of a mound of gravel. It smelled of cigarettes and mildew. Then when we looked out the window, the beach attendant was doing something questionable in the storage facility. We were appalled!! It was small, dirty and stinky. We went to the pool and found very milky water that did not seem very inviting.
When we asked for a refund, we were refused by the management. They were rude and unreasonable. We didn't care, we could not stay there. We risked the extra charge and went elsewhere because we feared for our health. Thank goodness our credit card company took care of the charge and reversed it.

STAY AWAY!!

A nice motel for a fun off season weekend

by TripAdvisor Member bolanrox

Having just gotten back from our stay it may be a little biased, but we had a wonderful time. We stayed in one of the regular rooms (nopt pool or lake view) and had no complaints about the room.

Everything was clean, and well maintained. I could see how some of the lake view suites might not be the best, they looked more onthe run down side. and would definately be the cause of some of the negative reviews.

Our one problem was on Saturday night there were quite a few bags of garbage left out, (from guests it looked like) that combined withthe rain smelled rather bad, but these were picked up well before we woke up Sunday, around 6 or so.

As long as you do not expect a super posh room, there was nothing wrong with the Surfside. We ill definitely book again for an off season weekend. Prices during the summer like every place else will be higher for for the off season rates it was a great deal, everything was is walking distance from town (about 1.2 miles to Fort William Henry) if you do not want to drive.

If anything things would be even quirkier, as the website really plays of the campiness of everything.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JerryJoe

We stayed here for one Saturday night in October, 2006. We would stay here again. The location is good. It is right on lake George in a beautiful spot. It is a 9 minute walk to downtown. We ended up driving to downtown both times as the walk is along a busy road past hotels, not shops. We had a second floor room facing the pool. Any room facing the pool probably has a nice view of the lake. Rooms not lakefront or not facing the pool probably don't have great views of the lake. The cottages probably don't have great lake views for the most part, except the two or three that face the lake instead of the pool. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable (similar to a Tempurpedic foam mattress). The room did have a smokey smell when we first entered it. But once the air conditioner was on a little while all the smell disappeared for the rest of our trip. I don't like smokey smell, but this really wasn't too bad as it quickly disipated. The pool is awesome here. The pool deck totally overlooks the lake and almost looks like an eternity pool. The pool chairs and loungers are in good shape. The beach is shallow so it is not good for swimming for adults but great for kids to play in water. Oh, if you're a boater, I'd be cautious about the docks. The water was very very shallow in the slips near the beach. If you can get a slip/dock space further out on the dock it's fine. The sheets and bathroom were both clean. TV was nice size and quality. Didn't see the restaurant. We did get the breakfast buffet next door at the Georgian resort for $9 per person. It was a good buffet with the usual goods (scrambled eggs, pancakes, 3 juices, etc...especially good were the scones and muffins). There was only two things I didn't love, there wasn't coffee/coffee maker in the room and the younger, mid twenties, lady at the front desk in the morning was not very frienldly to the older couple infront of me. However, the older, 50's, lady at the desk when I checked in, in the evening on Friday night, was very friendly. Overall I was very satisfied for the $100. Oh, if you don't want to spend $30 a plate on dinner, try going to Boardwalk restaurant (call ahead and get reservations if you can, otherwise have a few drinks in the bar). The boardwalk averages $19 a plate and there's a 10% off coupon in the traveler magazine found everywhere in Lake George for free.

Good home base for fun weekend. Great pool

by TripAdvisor Member Eric-A95

We stayed in a comfortable room. Parking was tight but was always available. Great location - we walked up and down Main Street instead of driving most places. The pool was very nice -we had a lovely time. Even the families with kids were nice neighbors.

The room had a table where we ate pizza, and a fridge to hold leftover pizza. The vanity was outside the bathroom, so my fiance' was happy.

We had a couple days of rain, but we can't hold that against the hotel, right? :)

The front desk was helpful and nice.

Great location, extremely small room

by TripAdvisor Member snofy

Booked a lakeview family suite over the Memorial Day weekend for a group of 7 since the hotel website mentioned that the suite has 2 queen beds and 2 twin beds. When we got there, we felt almost cheated
and I immediately called the front desk but there wasn't anything they could do since they were fully booked. The "suite" was only slightly larger than a normal hotel room.

How did they manage to squeeze in so many beds in the small room? The
2 queen beds were on a raised platform and the 2 twin beds were actually one twin sofa bed with a pullover bed at the bottom. There was no room whatsoever. The kitchen area is just a very small place on the wall and everything is miniature in size. The lakeview was laughable. You have a view of the lake but you are hardly by the lake.

It's hard to imagine how we could squeeze in 7 persons in the room but thank god we hardly spend any time in the room. Other than the small room, the beds were actually very firm and nice and the bathroom was clean. Having said that, if all I needed was a room with bed and bathroom, I could have booked any other hotels since there are tons of hotels in Lake George. The room does not justify the "family suite" branding and the price we paid. Infact, at that price, we might as well get 2 or 3 rooms in other hotels and we would have much larger space. Next time I book a room I'll definitely
ask for the exact size and layout before paying.

Surfside - A moderate, clean and friendly motel.

by TripAdvisor Member dafkg

I ended up at the Surfside because I left another hotel a few doors down due to its deteriorated conditions. When I got to the Surfside and told them my situation, they were so nice! The lobby was nice and the girls working at the counter were very professional. I met the owner and he was also very helpful. I needed two nights and they only had one available, however, the owner put a reservation request under his name so he would be notified as soon as one opened up. Unfortunately, it never did so I had to move next door the next night.

In the meantime, this hotel is average as far as accomodations. It was clean and the property is GREAT! The pool is nice and the views are awesome.

The room is a little tight. We had two double beds because we came with 2 small kids. The only annoying thing is that the bed was literally 1 foot from the air conditioning unit against the wall by the window. Since it was hot, we had the air conditioner on and it was blowing on top of us during the whole night.

It is a two story hotel and we were up top. It was not very noisy, we just heard doors open and close sometimes.

I would recommend this hotel for a typical vacationer needing a room to sleep. If you are looking to spend a lot of time in the room, I would invest in a more expensive hotel. I paid $130.00 for my room with a AAA rate.

The location is great. Walk to town and there is a small beach on the property. I would go back for the price and location alone.

A great place to stay with pre-teens

by TripAdvisor Member kasiny126

I do not understand all these bad reviews. I have gone to this hotel 3 times in the last 4 years and the only two problems I have had were alot of wasps, not something that can be controlled & not enjoying the breakfast, but that is a matter of taste. The rooms have always been clean and the staff friendly. I have never had a problem getting the discount coupons. The pool and beach have been clean. It is a great location, very close to town. I also feel it is a great deal for the price. Lake George is a vacation where you spend alot of time at the hotel and this is one I enjoyed spending time at.

okay for a family

by TripAdvisor Member mylittletraveler

I went there labor day weekend and I personally did not enjoy myself. my 12 year old had fun playing on the ships as did the 23 year old it was fun for all. Since my husband did not no it was going to rain all our plans were gone, however when the sun came out we went in the pool and we walked to the town. I found at least 4 bugs in my room. However the walking distance from the town was GREAT!!! since I love the lake I like stay at places that have boats for use. this palce had boats but it was VERY expensive to take one out. The rooms are small but I guess if your a family with younger kids you might like it. My husband loved the place and he loved the lazer light show at 9:00 (at night). hope you enjoy yourself!

Beautiful view and I kind of liked this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NHfan94

Beautiful lake view and beach. This hotel was pretty well kept and was in fair condition. It was clean and the service was good. The hotel did have some cosmetic issues but I liked it.

The place is right in town

by TripAdvisor Member spyslick1

May 2008, Just came back from a memorial day weekend.This is my first time staying at this hotel. I have to say that I enjoyed my stay there.

What I liked about Surfside was the all in one package that they have in regards to the attractions and food. Which include breakfast and dinner. The hotel property is pretty nice they have a standard pool and kids play ground. They have small beach area right on the lake. The rooms were again normal two queen size beds. They had a hair dryer right on the wall, which my wife loved. They had Its own iron and iron board in the room. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard as well, eggs, hash, bagels, cereal, juices, fruit, pancakes, French toast, etc.. I like this because if you travel to Lake George you know you have find a good deal when it comes to food. It can become pretty expensive sometimes. Dinner consisted of four restaurants in the area of Lake George. Which were of food menus of barbecue, Italian, American, of course the menus were limited but had enough variety to please all of us.

Comments