Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort Lake Placid

2559 Main St, (formerly Golden Arrow Hotel), Lake Placid, New York, 12946, United States

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 81% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort Lake Placid

don't stay there!

Having lots of competition in the area, I thought the hotel staff should have made more of a point that they appreciated our business. I felt more like I was putting them out. Next time I will spend my hard-earned money at another hotel in the area. Also - despite the hotel being nearly empty, they put us in a corridor with maitenance and housekeeping staff offices. I have nothing against these hard-working people, I just feel like I shouldn't have to pass their offices (they keep their doors open) to get to my room. Also, they were renovating the room next to ours, which became noisy. We asked to move but they would not accomodate us. I think there are better options in the area.

Nice hotel for weekend getaway

by TripAdvisor Member johnicho19

Stayed at the Best Western for the Memorial Day weekend. Great location in the center of town, near the Olympic rinks and downtown shopping and dining. Lake view rooms are the way to go.

Pool/spa was nice but a bit crowded on weekends, so bring your room towel down with you as they ran out. Being on the lake had nice benefits, private little beach (didn't swim at this time of year, but must be nice in summer) and paddle boats/ row boats.

Free parking nice, staff pleasant and helpful. Nice and clean.

Nice but no ideal

by TripAdvisor Member olegkon

Pros:
- nice, pretty clean, friendly service;
- on the lake shore, nice white sand on the beach, plenty of free boats;
- located in the center of the town.

Cons:
- pretty expensive for a 3 star hotel ($170+ in July);
- wireless internet not available in 1/2 of hotel.

We keep coming back!

This is our third trip to Lake Placid and this hotel was by far the best we have tried. We like to stay at different properties when we go back to the same place just see what they are all like. We tried some of the other hotels the first two times we were up there. But now that we have stayed at the Best Western, we are going to keep coming back! I wish we had stayed there the first time! The staff is really down to earth and helpful, the hotel is beautiful, and it is definitely the most conveniently located hotel in the area. The ducks on the beach kept my kids entertained for hours!

Family Fun!

by TripAdvisor Member c4ww

I stayed at this Best Western with my family at the end of July. It is an exceptional hotel for its rating status. The beach is nice and cute, with plenty of peddle boats, row boats,etc. for guests to use. The rooms are attractive and clean, fairly spacious, and have pay movies and nintendo. It is very comfortable if you are traveling with your family. We had a great time, our kids loved it! A much better value for families than the Mirror Lake Inn up the street.

leafy views

by TripAdvisor Member rosasmum

I'm just back from an overnight in Lake Placid in leaf season. This rambling hotel was an unexpected pleasure for its price. While the rooms are bog standard chain motel, they are roomy and clean, but the views from the lakeside private balconies are very hard to beat. The staff was friendly and accomodating. On the downside, no complementary breakfast and only rooms in half the hotel have wireless internet, though there is access in the public areas.

High praise for the Golden Arrow!!!

by TripAdvisor Member EOtravels

I just spent 3 nights in one of the "specialty rooms" - in this case, with a stone fireplace. The room, on the second floor, had a lovely lake view and a balcony (where a large supply of firewood was kept). The room was large, attractive, and very clean, with a large bathroom with granite counter. Although breakfast was not included, the room had a refrigerator and coffee maker. The room was excellent for the price ($189 1st night (holiday), $139 2nd and 3rd nights (AAA)). Parking is free, plentiful, and convenient (with a covered garage and an entrance right down the hall from my room). Although it rained throughout my stay, the wonderful room made all the difference in having a great time in the Adirondacks. The staff were friendly and responsive. And it was great to be able to check email using the complimentary computer and printer in the lobby. I recommend the Golden Arrow highly and hope to stay there again.

Average Hotel, Wonderful View

by TripAdvisor Member petex20

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Best Western in Lake Placid, the last weekend of Sept/beginning of Oct 2005. The hotel is in the best location, its actually not on Lake Placid...its on Mirror Lake which is adjacent to Lake P.
The rooms @ the Best Western are not great. We had room 110 which is on the 1st floor (FYI - Lobby/Street Entrance is on the 3rd floor). The room was kind of old and smelled a bit, but we're not complainers and dealt with it.
If you expect a 5-star hotel, your not going to find it anywhere in Lake Placid.
The Golden Arrow Best Western is a bit pricey but your mostly paying for the location (right in the middle of Lake Placid).
The restaurant at the hotel, Gold Berries, was pretty good.
If you have any questions, send me an e-mail.

Lovely

by TripAdvisor Member MrsDelgado

We stayed at the Golden Arrow this past Thanksgiving weekend for two nights (11/24 & 25, 2005), in a specialty room: #520, the Normandy suite, with balcony, jacuzzi bath, & fireplace. I was worried before we got there, because we wanted a special weekend and usually try to stay at Hyatts (and Best Western is usually at least one step down from a Hyatt).

But it was totally nice: lovely lights decorate the building, which faces quaint Main Street on one side and Mirror Lake on the other. If you're a four-star traveler, the furnishings might disappoint style-wise but everything was pretty & clean, staff was friendly and prompt, and lobby is warm, inviting & has a great view. The indoor pool and hot tub are very nice; there's a game room with darts, ping-pong & billiards. We didn't use the steam room or sauna but they were clean & not crowded.

Room service was prompt, and housekeeping responded quickly to requests. I can't speak for the standard rooms, but our room was large & homey & the jacuzzi bath & fireplace made it very special. We also had wireless Internet in our room--they say that all South wing rooms have this. And there's an internet cafe in the Alpine Mall, inside the hotel.

Main Street shops are two seconds away, and you can walk around Mirror Lake (a lovely walk--3.7 miles) by stepping out the front door of the hotel.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at the Mirror Lake Inn and found it pretty but a little bit uptight (crowd was older or young conservative) and dinner Friday night at the Whiteface Lodge, which is really gorgeous but had TERRIBLE service and rich, snotty, irritating guests. (We're not rich or snotty but we like good food & nice surroundings.)

Two minor warnings: there were lots of kids at the Golden Arrow--definitely a family-oriented place. And parking was fine on Thursday (Thanksgiving) but got tight Friday night. The indoor lots are small & we had trouble finding a space on Saturday.

Comments