1 Mirror Lake Drive, Lake Placid, New York, 12946-1105, United States

Satisfaction Average

More about Lake Placid

Mirror LakeMirror Lake

Crown Point State ParkCrown Point State Park

Parking lot of High Falls gorge, near Whiteface MtParking lot of High Falls gorge, near Whiteface Mt

L-A @ Whiteface PeakL-A @ Whiteface Peak

Public Transportation?

by littlething

I would like to travel from Delray Beach to Lake Placid by some form of public transportation. I live out of state and am not familiar with the transportation services in Florida. Can someone help?
Thanks.

by nicolaitan

Trailways bus service offers one bus a day from albany ny to lake placid ny, leaving 1330 and takes four hours. one could fly directly to albany airport ( absolutely with a change of planes - there are several flights a day from JFK in New York by a few carriers for example - or fly into new york and go to the trailways terminal in manhattan and catch a bus up there changing in albany. the 0930 trailways nyc to albany arrives in time to make the transfer.

by mccalpin

Lew, I think the poster was asking about public transportation on the Florida end...

Poster, are you planning on flying to Florida from New York, or taking Amtrak?

by nicolaitan

confused myself, but it begins with "from Delray Beach to".

by mccalpin

Duh, you're right...but "I...am not familiar with the transportation services in Florida." Well, let's see if he/she comes back...

by littlething

Thanks for all the posts. By the way, I'm a she. I signed up as littlething and my given name is Joy. Feel free to call me either.

Please let me clarify. I am in Florida right now visiting my mother in Delray Beach (Palm Beach County.) I would like to get to Lake Placid, Florida (Highlands County) to visit a friend, but alas, I don't have a car at my disposal. Hope this cleared things up a little. I thought maybe a comuter train from somewhere in Palm Beach to the central part of Florida on the east side and then a bus across to the west side of the state.

I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks. :)

by mccalpin

Hmmmn, well, I wondered about going to Lake Placid, NY...sorry, the other Lake Placid does come to mind first ;-)

Unfortunately, while there is rail service of sorts up and down the coast, I haven't found any bus service yet to where you want to go. Greyhound, for example, does not show Lake Placid (or anywhere particularly close) as a stop.

What you might do is look at http://www.highlandscvb.com/gettinghere/ and either contact the Highlands County Conventions and Visitors Bureau or the Lake Placid Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck!

Travel Tips for Lake Placid

All the Dutch who won medals.

by Monique_T

I don't think you can read it very clearly but there were a few Dutch guys who won. And you can imagine we are (still) proud of that. My best memory of Lake Placid was not being there but remembering the Olympic Games, watching it on tv and see how the Dutch did their games.

Comfortable ,casual clothes

by chrissyalex

Comfortable shoes with thick soles for hiking. Bring clothes that can be layered. It was chilly in the morning, but the noon sun was very warm. Sun screen, mosquito repellent Don't forget.....lots of film :-)

Ski Jumping Complex

by chrissyalex

Take a ski lift and then an elevator to the top of the Olympic ski jumps! I really enjoyed this more than I expected! The views are spectactular and you can stand right where the ski jumpers are before they make their jump!
An added bonus when we were visiting, was that there were some atheletes training and we were able to watch them! I had never seen ski jumping in person before and it was quite exciting to watch! Also nearby were some "hot dog" skiers! Cool!
The cost is $8 per person and this includes the ski lift ride and elevator ride.

Springtime in Lake Placid

by CanuckMark

"Olympic Village Remains"

Visited Lake Placid in the spring of '05. It's a very picturesque town, surrounded by several resort communities including Saranac Lake and Whiteface. As a result of having hosted two Winter Games, the Lake Placid area is heavily built up, and a blossoming cottage/resort industry keeps things busy in Lake Placid all year.

Famous for hockey tournaments, winter skiing activities, and decent summer hiking, Lake Placid is a great vacation destination for those seeking establish comfort, low risk, and moderatly high prices.

"The Lake That Never Was"

While you may think that Lake Placid is a tranquil and relaxing destination, you will find that it is very busy and during peak periods it can be filled well over capcity.

However, thanks to hosting the Winter Games, the city is very well designed for handling large flows of people, and there are many opportunities to seek some solidute around the Lake Placid area.

Nightlife in Lake Placid consists of the typical "apres-ski" environment, while during the summer it's all about the patios.

Lake Placid

by Red_12

"First Real Adventure"

Lake Placid was really my first adventure. We slept in these little tiny cabins out in the woods consisting of only beds, we had to make all our meals outside and pretty much do everything outside. Which was a very big change for me. Though I enjoyed it , just a mile from our cabins was a real water falls in the middle of the woods, which was a delight because we hiked there! Also Lake placid downtown was beautiful.

"The large Mountain"

This is the mountain that my family and I went up, as you can see there were ski lifts to take you up, you could go farther on foot but we didn't. Me, being afraid of heights, wasn't really doing to good already so we decided not to. But the view from the almost top was extraordinary, it was amazing you could see everything! My father and his friend decided to walk back down the mountain to give us more time to shop they said there toes were sore when they got down.

"Downtown"

Lake Placids downtown was very nice, not only the shops which were some name brands some I had never heard of, but the downtown as a whole. I loved the restaraunts, I loved the people the designer shops were beautiful and there was a place where people were down by the water singing and you could just sit and listen. That was very nice too.

Comments